AVS Forum banner

19881 - 19900 of 30694 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Apple TV owners' thread.

Infuse doesn't exactly passthrough HD audio. It will convert TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM, so it should still be lossless. From my testing the new Plex player on the ATV4K does not do this. It's still transcoding to AC3.

No, it’s just a video algorithm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you both. I should’ve thought to look and see if it was still transcoding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Your correct about no Kodi, but MrMC, a fork of Kodi, is available in the App Store. Runs great on the AppleTV. Plays any of my HDR10 and Dolby Vision videos.

It also has built in Plex and Emmy clients and supports Trakt.tv.
It does NOT support Kodi Add-ons by design.

Highly recommend if you have a network video library.

Small correction. There are currently no applications that can play Dolby Vision, so far Multilayer Dolby Vision is restricted to hardware devices.

·
Registered
16,321 Posts
Lively discussion on CEC. All I know is that every time there's been a control issue (and often an ARC issue) suggesting to disable ARC/CEC has more times than not corrected the issue. Of course to get back functionality one has to use an optical cable (in lieu of ARC) and a programmable remote like a Harmony (in lieu of CEC). Given the responses, I don't know exactly what "disabling" CEC means now. The device mfrs are free to implement CEC however they choose, due to lack of solid standardization, so maybe Apple does something slightly different. All I know is that using a Harmony remote on an older HTS for years, and a brand new HTS has eliminated any potential ATV4/ATV4k issues. In fact, I just purchased two new Harmony 700's (not expensive at all) and both give me complete control over the ATV's with the exception of Siri, which, along with ARC, I don't use. I guess one just has to see what works for them, what ever the reason, and go with it. Apparently there isn't one solution that fits all.

CEC Extensions, part of the new HDMI 2.1 protocol set, is supposed to eliminate all CEC issues but how that will work across the mfr board still remains to be seen. At least ARC will be separated from CEC so an issue with one shouldn't affect the other.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Agreed, if a universal remote is what you want to use, options are great. I'd venture a guess that those with more basic setups who can't figure out CEC will also fail at programming those remotes as well but that's neither here nor there! :)

Only thing I'd change in your post is that turning off CEC and getting a universal remote doesn't CORRECT the issue, it simply masks it!!! Also, unless I'm misinformed which is likely, an optical cable work around doesn't solve issues when eARC is involved so if that's true, we need to work on a proper solution. IMO an enthusiast should be pushing the limits on the new technology, not giving up to the old :)

I've got 3 setups with two different make/model AVRs and 3 different make/model TVs/Projectors. All have different generations of PS3 for BluRay, non-CEC DVD, ROKU/ATV, and until March they had CEC enabled DTV HR24/54 DVRs. The ATV is the only problem and is the problem regardless which setup I move it to. It's also the same pattern that ROKU fixed. 70 seconds after powering down the TV which powers off the AVR, the AVR comes back on (JUST the AVR). If you don't wait 10 seconds to power down the AVR it will continuously power up again. This points to a software/firmware bug to me but only Apple can determine that :) My solution (errr mask) is to keep the ATV unplugged until I need it for a side by side for any PLEX and/or YTTV problems. I continue to try to get Apple to care.............

My only ask in all forums I belong to is open, honest and respectful discussion. "Ford sucks" tends to make me ignore the originator on other issues ;)

Now that that horse is dead, on with other important issues!!!!! THANKS!
Lively discussion on CEC. All I know is that every time there's been a control issue (and often an ARC issue) suggesting to disable ARC/CEC has more times than not corrected the issue. Of course to get back functionality one has to use an optical cable (in lieu of ARC) and a programmable remote like a Harmony (in lieu of CEC). Given the responses, I don't know exactly what "disabling" CEC means now. The device mfrs are free to implement CEC however they choose, due to lack of solid standardization, so maybe Apple does something slightly different. All I know is that using a Harmony remote on an older HTS for years, and a brand new HTS has eliminated any potential ATV4/ATV4k issues. In fact, I just purchased two new Harmony 700's (not expensive at all) and both give me complete control over the ATV's with the exception of Siri, which, along with ARC, I don't use. I guess one just has to see what works for them, what ever the reason, and go with it. Apparently there isn't one solution that fits all.

CEC Extensions, part of the new HDMI 2.1 protocol set, is supposed to eliminate all CEC issues but how that will work across the mfr board still remains to be seen. At least ARC will be separated from CEC so an issue with one shouldn't affect the other.

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,885
Who is "us" or "(nearly) everyone else"?
Of course you can disable CEC via a use interface. You just have to build the capability into the devices. That's what ROKU did after I raised the issues with them.

I know infinitely more people that successfully operate their setups with CEC instead of expensive universal remotes.
I think the consensus on AVS is clear. I.e. the prior post that you "liked".
CEC is optional so depending on the chipset you might be able to have it ignore all requests and issue none. If Roku did that then it's the only time I've heard of it. Without sending a "disabled" interface enumeration requests, off commands and global off commands saying Roku disabled CEC is speculation on your part. They may have just fixed an issue.

You don't have to buy an "expensive" remote -- for some unknown value of expensive. A Harmony 650 is $40 a 350 is $30.

BTW, when you set the ATV CEC commands off it responds to enumeration requests and global off. If you configure the Siri remote to send IR it will send an enumeration request. If those commands cause a problematic state change in another device that device is broken.

·
Registered
16,321 Posts
Agreed, if a universal remote is what you want to use, options are great. I'd venture a guess that those with more basic setups who can't figure out CEC will also fail at programming those remotes as well but that's neither here nor there! :)

Only thing I'd change in your post is that turning off CEC and getting a universal remote doesn't CORRECT the issue, it simply masks it!!! Also, unless I'm misinformed which is likely, an optical cable work around doesn't solve issues when eARC is involved so if that's true, we need to work on a proper solution. IMO an enthusiast should be pushing the limits on the new technology, not giving up to the old :)
What I meant by "correcting the issue" is that the problem goes away in most cases. Technically you are correct, it doesn't "fix" the issue it just makes it more manageable.

I use Harmony 700's, which are now discontinued by Logitech but was able to get two, brand new ones for about $75 each. Not cheap but not $300 either ;) One of them had a hard time charging so I contacted Logitech and they sent me a brand new one, which works perfectly. As far as programming them, they were extremely easy compared to my old Harmony 880. All I had to do was connect the remote to my laptop, sign in to MyHarmony, list the model numbers of the devices I needed to use for each Activity, and the configuration was automatic and quick. It's certainly not perfect but for the most part does what I need it to do. For simple setups (receiver, cable, tv, blu-ray, streaming boxes, etc.) you really can't get any easier.

An optical cable works perfectly in lieu of ARC for SmartApps and OTA television. However, like ARC, you are limited to discrete 5.1 audio (possibly lossy Atmos in some cases). eARC is supposed to expand the audio capabilities (HD audio, lossless Atmos) but for me, I don't care because all audio goes thru my receiver first, with the exception of Comcrap local HDTV, which is always 5.1 and sent via optical. It also helps if your connected devices are within 10' of each other ;)

I used to push the limits but got burned so many times by HDMI.org and their mess called HDMI that I stick to what works best for me. HDMI, in theory is a great idea, but there are more robust ways to transmit video and audio other than a thin copper wire. Video/audio technology will always outpace connection technology which is a huge problem. Distance is the achilles heel of HDMI for current technology.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Ya, I think we're on the same page here and I think you got the gist of what i meant. I still don't think those who struggle with basic CEC will find programming the remotes simple though. I guess we'll never know for sure :) I'd also argue that it's more manageable but I can live to agree to disagree on that. My experience with universal remotes has been far worse than anything CEC has tossed at me but admittedly it's been awhile and that's why I try not to bad mouth them. :)

What I meant by "correcting the issue" is that the problem goes away in most cases. Technically you are correct, it doesn't "fix" the issue it just makes it more manageable.

I use Harmony 700's, which are now discontinued by Logitech but was able to get two, brand new ones for about $75 each. Not cheap but not $300 either ;) One of them had a hard time charging so I contacted Logitech and they sent me a brand new one, which works perfectly. As far as programming them, they were extremely easy compared to my old Harmony 880. All I had to do was connect the remote to my laptop, sign in to MyHarmony, list the model numbers of the devices I needed to use for each Activity, and the configuration was automatic and quick. It's certainly not perfect but for the most part does what I need it to do. For simple setups (receiver, cable, tv, blu-ray, streaming boxes, etc.) you really can't get any easier.

An optical cable works perfectly in lieu of ARC for SmartApps and OTA television. However, like ARC, you are limited to discrete 5.1 audio (possibly lossy Atmos in some cases). eARC is supposed to expand the audio capabilities (HD audio, lossless Atmos) but for me, I don't care because all audio goes thru my receiver first, with the exception of Comcrap local HDTV, which is always 5.1 and sent via optical. It also helps if your connected devices are within 10' of each other ;)

I used to push the limits but got burned so many times by HDMI.org and their mess called HDMI that I stick to what works best for me. HDMI, in theory is a great idea, but there are more robust ways to transmit video and audio other than a thin copper wire. Video/audio technology will always outpace connection technology which is a huge problem. Distance is the achilles heel of HDMI for current technology.

·
Registered
16,321 Posts
^^^^ I don't know. Programming the Harmony 700's couldn't have been any easier. There is no remote learning (pointing them at each other and picking functions for example). You just type the model numbers in, select what you want done and with what, and 5 minutes later it's all setup and ready to go. As I said, my old Harmony 880 was a real b*** to program but these 700's are stupidly easy. You are limited in the number of devices you can control and you do have to manually recharge them when the batteries get low but that's about the only negatives.

Whatever the case, I will continue to not use CEC until I'm convinced that all of the mfrs are on the same page with standardized protocols etc and distance limitations are reasonable for today's HTS's.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
^^^^ I don't know. Programming the Harmony 700's couldn't have been any easier. There is no remote learning (pointing them at each other and picking functions for example). You just type the model numbers in, select what you want done and with what, and 5 minutes later it's all setup and ready to go. As I said, my old Harmony 880 was a real b*** to program but these 700's are stupidly easy. You are limited in the number of devices you can control and you do have to manually recharge them when the batteries get low but that's about the only negatives.

Whatever the case, I will continue to not use CEC until I'm convinced that all of the mfrs are on the same page with standardized protocols etc and distance limitations are reasonable for today's HTS's.
If going harmony you can't beat the Harmony Companion with hub.. It controls everything in my signature and the button placement is alot better than the cheaper Harmony Smart Remote (which I owned first).
Gerry

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Also, unless I'm misinformed which is likely, an optical cable work around doesn't solve issues when eARC is involved so if that's true, we need to work on a proper solution.
My understanding is eARC and CEC are independent in HDMI 2.1, so even if CEC is still problematic the benefits of eARC may be enjoyed, so...... progress!

But I never trust anything until real life devices start talking to each other!

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My comment was more targeted at the fact of an optical return could no longer serve the same functionality as eARC but I get your point as well.

My understanding is eARC and CEC are independent in HDMI 2.1, so even if CEC is still problematic the benefits of eARC may be enjoyed, so...... progress!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I have a Harmony, but I repeatedly try CEC, just in case! At the moment I have it on on my LG OLED, so it can play/pause my Chromecast. But, turning it on on my AVR and all sources wreaks havoc!

Reactions: galonzo

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
My comment was more targeted at the fact of an optical return could no longer serve the same functionality as eARC but I get your point as well.

Yes, optical is no replacement for eARC and eARC is a real step up that hopefully will encourage streaming apps to offer better audio. We can dream anyway!

Reactions: galonzo and rakstr

·
Registered
255 Posts
Plex announcement today!

Early access for Plex Pass users to new Apple TV & iOS Video Player

Testing Player Betas apple-tv ios apple-tv-beta ios-beta

We’re introducing a great upgrade in terms of video playback experience to our iOS and Apple TV apps! Up until now, we relied on Apple’s AVPlayer for video playback. That was a simple solution, but very limited in many aspects. However, now we’ve added support for mpv 385: the same higher-quality video player we have in Plex Media Player, that will result in sharper video output and improved subtitle support.
The new player is still experimental, and we do plan to make it available to everyone, but for now it’s available to Plex Pass holders as an early-access preview. You can turn it on and off at any time in Settings -> Advanced.
What’s changed?

With this new video player, the apps will be able to play many more video formats without transcoding. This also includes a new custom video player UI in the Apple TV app that adds support for seek thumbnails, proper audio & subtitle switching during playback, and some other things we’ll add in the near future. We also gained more control over our playback stack.
Basically, with these changes, the apps will try to use the new video player based on mpv when possible, with a few exceptions:

• LiveTV playback
  • News and Web Shows
  • HDR videos
  • Interlaced videos
  • Transcoded and Direct Streamed videos. This means that when a certain video cannot be Direct Played by mpv and needs any kind of conversion, it will be converted to a format compatible with AVPlayer and played with it.
In all these circumstances the app will use the old player. We’re working as we speak to reduce that list of exceptions.
There are two other exceptions where Apple’s AVPlayer is needed: when using AirPlay and Picture in Picture (on devices which support it). In those scenarios, when enabling those features the app will switch to the old player (meaning, it could require transcoding).
Finally, due to some performance and compatibility issues we found, for now the new player will be available only for devices with iOS 11 and newer.
It’s also worth mentioning that this doesn’t affect Sync right now. That means, your media will still be transcoded to the same format in order to be compatible with the old player.
What are those supported formats?

Right now, the new player can direct play the following formats:

• Supported containers: mkv, mov, mp4, mpegts, mpeg, mpegvideo, avi, flv, ogg
  • Supported audio codecs: aac, aac_latm, ac3, alac, flac, dca, vorbis, opus, eac3, mp1, mp2, mp3
  • Supported video codecs: h264, hevc, vp8, vp9, h263, mpeg1video, mpeg2video, mpeg4
  • Supported subtitle codecs: ass, dvb_subtitle, vobsub, eia_608, pgs, microdvd, movtext, ssa, srt
What’s in development?

We’re actively working on:

• Improving performance.
  • Adding support for HDR playback.
  • Adding support for tone mapping when playing HDR videos in SDR displays.
  • Improved controls/gestures in the Apple TV video player.
  • Increasing device compatibility.
What do you need tested?

Basically everything video-playback-related needs testing to help ensure the broadest coverage. Go ahead and throw your old, obscure, early-90s home movie or your super-high-bitrate GoPro footage at the player and see how it does.
Oh noes, something doesn’t play right! How do I report it?

Providing detailed info when you encounter a playback issue will help us investigate (and resolve!) the issue quickly, so things improve for everyone.

• Test whether you see the same playback problem with the old player (see the information on switching back below)
  • Reproduce the playback issue with the NEW player
  • Grab logs from your app (iOS App Logs 13 or Apple TV App Logs 23)
  • Save the “XML file” for the library item you tried to play (XML File Information 1)
  • If possible, create a small sample file (Generating Sample Files 3) of the video causing the issue, verify that the sample still causes the issue, and then upload that sample to somewhere such as Dropbox or Google Drive
  • Report your issue in our iOS 4 or Apple TV 23 forums with details about what exactly you experienced. Be sure to attach your logs and “XML file” and link to the sample file. If you’re testing a beta build, please use the iOS Beta 19 or Apple TV Beta 12 forums instead.
Do I really have to do all that?

We know it sounds like a lot, but it’s not as bad as it might first seem. It’s super important to get this information to allow us to investigate and resolve the issues, though. We all want the issue fixed and working, right?
With this new foundation we’ll have the ability to improve our format support and will be considering things like this for future improvements. For now, please let us know if you encounter any formats where the new player provides a worse experience that the old player.
TL;DR: A brand new video player with lots of improvements and new formats supported. Enjoy and report issues in the forums!

Released new betas for iOS v5.8 (15736) and tvOS v1.36 (10823) with the following changes:

• Improved performance of the new player.
  • Fixed support for mov_text subtitles.
  • (iOS only) Added support for double-tap to zoom.
  • (iOS only) Fixed issue with synced videos that would play with no sound.
  • (iOS only) Fixed some issues with audio formats unsupported in some devices (EAC3, AC3…) not triggering transcoding.
We’re still working on getting the gestures of Apple’s tvOS video player into ours. They will be available in upcoming betas.

Released new betas for iOS v5.8 (15818) and tvOS v1.36 (10896) with the following changes:

• Fixed support for PCM, MP1 and MP2 audio tracks.
  • Fixed bug where playback could start with black screen but audio.
  • (tvOS only) Fixed MANY issues with remote control, added ±10sec gestures, etc.
  • (iOS only) Fixed issue with synced videos that would play with no sound. Hopefully, this time is actually fixed
We keep working on more improvements of the Apple TV control, and bugfixing in general. Keep the feedback coming!

Released new beta for tvOS v1.36 (10914) with the following changes:

• Fixed huge performance issue with videos without seek thumbnails (specially noticeable in Apple TV 4K).
  • Fixed issue where all episodes would have the show art in the Season screen.

Suggested Topics

Early access for Plex Pass users to new Apple TV & iOS Video Player

Testing Player Betas apple-tv ios apple-tv-beta ios-beta

sergiou87Plex Employee
15d

We’re introducing a great upgrade in terms of video playback experience to our iOS and Apple TV apps! Up until now, we relied on Apple’s AVPlayer for video playback. That was a simple solution, but very limited in many aspects. However, now we’ve added support for mpv 385: the same higher-quality video player we have in Plex Media Player, that will result in sharper video output and improved subtitle support.
The new player is still experimental, and we do plan to make it available to everyone, but for now it’s available to Plex Pass holders as an early-access preview. You can turn it on and off at any time in Settings -> Advanced.
What’s changed?

With this new video player, the apps will be able to play many more video formats without transcoding. This also includes a new custom video player UI in the Apple TV app that adds support for seek thumbnails, proper audio & subtitle switching during playback, and some other things we’ll add in the near future. We also gained more control over our playback stack.
Basically, with these changes, the apps will try to use the new video player based on mpv when possible, with a few exceptions:

• LiveTV playback
  • News and Web Shows
  • HDR videos
  • Interlaced videos
  • Transcoded and Direct Streamed videos. This means that when a certain video cannot be Direct Played by mpv and needs any kind of conversion, it will be converted to a format compatible with AVPlayer and played with it.
In all these circumstances the app will use the old player. We’re working as we speak to reduce that list of exceptions.
There are two other exceptions where Apple’s AVPlayer is needed: when using AirPlay and Picture in Picture (on devices which support it). In those scenarios, when enabling those features the app will switch to the old player (meaning, it could require transcoding).
Finally, due to some performance and compatibility issues we found, for now the new player will be available only for devices with iOS 11 and newer.
It’s also worth mentioning that this doesn’t affect Sync right now. That means, your media will still be transcoded to the same format in order to be compatible with the old player.
What are those supported formats?

Right now, the new player can direct play the following formats:

• Supported containers: mkv, mov, mp4, mpegts, mpeg, mpegvideo, avi, flv, ogg
  • Supported audio codecs: aac, aac_latm, ac3, alac, flac, dca, vorbis, opus, eac3, mp1, mp2, mp3
  • Supported video codecs: h264, hevc, vp8, vp9, h263, mpeg1video, mpeg2video, mpeg4
  • Supported subtitle codecs: ass, dvb_subtitle, vobsub, eia_608, pgs, microdvd, movtext, ssa, srt
What’s in development?

We’re actively working on:

• Improving performance.
  • Adding support for HDR playback.
  • Adding support for tone mapping when playing HDR videos in SDR displays.
  • Improved controls/gestures in the Apple TV video player.
  • Increasing device compatibility.
What do you need tested?

Basically everything video-playback-related needs testing to help ensure the broadest coverage. Go ahead and throw your old, obscure, early-90s home movie or your super-high-bitrate GoPro footage at the player and see how it does.
Oh noes, something doesn’t play right! How do I report it?

Providing detailed info when you encounter a playback issue will help us investigate (and resolve!) the issue quickly, so things improve for everyone.

• Test whether you see the same playback problem with the old player (see the information on switching back below)
  • Reproduce the playback issue with the NEW player
  • Grab logs from your app (iOS App Logs 13 or Apple TV App Logs 23)
  • Save the “XML file” for the library item you tried to play (XML File Information 1)
  • If possible, create a small sample file (Generating Sample Files 3) of the video causing the issue, verify that the sample still causes the issue, and then upload that sample to somewhere such as Dropbox or Google Drive
  • Report your issue in our iOS 4 or Apple TV 23 forums with details about what exactly you experienced. Be sure to attach your logs and “XML file” and link to the sample file. If you’re testing a beta build, please use the iOS Beta 19 or Apple TV Beta 12 forums instead.
Do I really have to do all that?

We know it sounds like a lot, but it’s not as bad as it might first seem. It’s super important to get this information to allow us to investigate and resolve the issues, though. We all want the issue fixed and working, right?
With this new foundation we’ll have the ability to improve our format support and will be considering things like this for future improvements. For now, please let us know if you encounter any formats where the new player provides a worse experience that the old player.
TL;DR: A brand new video player with lots of improvements and new formats supported. Enjoy and report issues in the forums!

• created

15d
  • last reply

8d
  • 5replies
  • 9.0kviews
  • 1user
  • 27likes
  • 16links

pinned Nov 22

closed Nov 22

sergiou87Plex Employee
13d

Released new betas for iOS v5.8 (15736) and tvOS v1.36 (10823) with the following changes:

• Improved performance of the new player.
  • Fixed support for mov_text subtitles.
  • (iOS only) Added support for double-tap to zoom.
  • (iOS only) Fixed issue with synced videos that would play with no sound.
  • (iOS only) Fixed some issues with audio formats unsupported in some devices (EAC3, AC3…) not triggering transcoding.
We’re still working on getting the gestures of Apple’s tvOS video player into ours. They will be available in upcoming betas.

sergiou87Plex Employee
9d

Released new betas for iOS v5.8 (15818) and tvOS v1.36 (10896) with the following changes:

• Fixed support for PCM, MP1 and MP2 audio tracks.
  • Fixed bug where playback could start with black screen but audio.
  • (tvOS only) Fixed MANY issues with remote control, added ±10sec gestures, etc.
  • (iOS only) Fixed issue with synced videos that would play with no sound. Hopefully, this time is actually fixed
We keep working on more improvements of the Apple TV control, and bugfixing in general. Keep the feedback coming!

sergiou87Plex Employee
8d

Released new beta for tvOS v1.36 (10914) with the following changes:

• Fixed huge performance issue with videos without seek thumbnails (specially noticeable in Apple TV 4K).
  • Fixed issue where all episodes would have the show art in the Season screen.

Suggested Topics

Topic Category Replies Views Activity Bug: Can’t rewind when EOF reached in buffer android-tv-beta
Player Betas 1 57 Sep 8 Photo-Upload not working anymore android-mobile
Player Betas 3 114 Sep 26 [Bug 7.7.1.7664] Seek causing exoplayer to crash android-tv-beta
Player Betas 8 95 Nov 4 New iPad Pro and Plex Beta ios-beta
Player Betas 12 251 27d Time shifting LiveTV doesn’t work livetv-dvr roku-preview
Player Betas 0 42 15d

Want to read more? Browse other topics in Player Betas or view latest topics.

Copyright © 2018 Plex

Player Betas

Player Betas 3 114 Sep 26
Player Betas

·
Registered
725 Posts
You can't disable CEC via a user interface, you have to remove the CEC conductor. All you can do via the UI is disable some actions on some components. E.g. if the HDMI transceiver is powered and connected it will respond to enumeration requests and may make them. So even if you disable the active options on the ATV4K it will still use action-free enumeration to determine controllable devices including IR to program the Siri remote. Enumeration requests and responses are "broadcast" so all components on the CEC bus see them.
Makes sense, perfect sense. It is still curious to me that out of the 8 different devices I have had connected to this system, the ATV4k was the only one that would randomly cause the system to change to the input on the Denon that it is connected to. So it must have a greater propensity for this type of broadcast than most devices...that I have tried anyway. When I did a search for the behavior there were quite a few people reporting the same sort of problems with the Apple device. It sure seems as though this is something that could be controlled programmatically or through firmware. Again, all is well that ends well...except perhaps for the angst during the period before learning how to stop the unwanted chatter...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'd like to clarify something. The CEC CAN be disabled via user interface, just not on the user interface Apple has provided. Other devices disable the CEC and Apple CAN fix this, it's just a matter of getting them to do so.

Makes sense, perfect sense. It is still curious to me that out of the 8 different devices I have had connected to this system, the ATV4k was the only one that would randomly cause the system to change to the input on the Denon that it is connected to. So it must have a greater propensity for this type of broadcast than most devices...that I have tried anyway. When I did a search for the behavior there were quite a few people reporting the same sort of problems with the Apple device. It sure seems as though this is something that could be controlled programmatically or through firmware. Again, all is well that ends well...except perhaps for the angst during the period before learning how to stop the unwanted chatter...

·
Registered
16,321 Posts
I have a Harmony, but I repeatedly try CEC, just in case! At the moment I have it on on my LG OLED, so it can play/pause my Chromecast. But, turning it on on my AVR and all sources wreaks havoc!
I just use my ATV4k to stream and the Harmony works just fine for that (with the exception of Siri which I don't use). The Harmony works very well with my 65 C8.

·
Registered
16,321 Posts
Hmmm, I've always had Yamaha receivers, an older model and a new one, and there's never been in input issue with an ATV4 or ATV4k, ever. Most strange.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think the consensus on AVS is clear. I.e. the prior post that you "liked".
CEC is optional so depending on the chipset you might be able to have it ignore all requests and issue none. If Roku did that then it's the only time I've heard of it. Without sending a "disabled" interface enumeration requests, off commands and global off commands saying Roku disabled CEC is speculation on your part. They may have just fixed an issue.

You don't have to buy an "expensive" remote -- for some unknown value of expensive. A Harmony 650 is $40 a 350 is $30.

BTW, when you set the ATV CEC commands off it responds to enumeration requests and global off. If you configure the Siri remote to send IR it will send an enumeration request. If those commands cause a problematic state change in another device that device is broken.

Sir. I would be sitting and watching another source for an hour. I would never touch the Apple remote...or even look at it. The ATV4K would be sleeping and I had turned ALL CEC off in it. The ATV4K would cause the AVR to switch to its input. This would happen regardless of what other input was being used. This is what I call spurious noise being caused, by definition.
Nothing was broken besides the ATV4K. I really do not know why you can't except that it was causing the issue... not everything or anything else in the system. No amount of otherwise technically correct analysis can change the source of the problem. Yes completely disabling CEC by physically disconnecting the signal fixes the problem. But the only way to blame CEC in general is by saying it is at fault because it is the conduit for the spurious signals. Completely illogical, sorry to have to say.

19881 - 19900 of 30694 Posts