AVS Forum banner

19941 - 19960 of 30694 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
That’s the whole point. It will delete things if there’s not enough space. I don’t have a whole lot of games but if you watch a couple of 4K movies, look at your iCloud Photo Library, play some Apple Music, etc. it’s going to delete some screensavers and then re-download them again later. The more space you have then the fewer things need to be deleted.

None of the tasks you list use up space on the Apple TV 4k. 4k movies are streamed and not stored, photos are kept in the cloud and not stored in memory. Music is streamed and not stored. Therefore nothing you list will result in the deletion of screensavers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
That’s the whole point. It will delete things if there’s not enough space. I don’t have a whole lot of games but if you watch a couple of 4K movies, look at your iCloud Photo Library, play some Apple Music, etc. it’s going to delete some screensavers and then re-download them again later. The more space you have then the fewer things need to be deleted.

No, this not how the Apple TV models work.

·
Registered
721 Posts
No, this not how the Apple TV models work.

If you know how AppleTVs work, you can explain why screensavers disappear. Anything streamed is downloaded and some that data is takes up for a space for a certain amount of time. I have a 32GB AppleTV that has seen the problem without adding or removing apps or playing games. I use all the Apple services, so I’m just guessing.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you know how AppleTVs work, you can explain why screensavers disappear. Anything streamed is downloaded and some that data is takes up for a space for a certain amount of time. I have a 32GB AppleTV that has seen the problem without adding or removing apps or playing games. I use all the Apple services, so I’m just guessing.

No, but you can check your available storage anytime you wish and clearly see that streamed content buffers are minimal and are not having any impact at all on screensavers. The only reason to have the 64GB model is if you plan on installing a number of games if you simple prefer spending a bit more money for some odd reason. Streaming content, even 4K content, isn’t causing your precious screen savers to disappear.

·
Registered
721 Posts
No, but you can check your available storage anytime you wish and clearly see that streamed content buffers are minimal and are not having any impact at all on screensavers. The only reason to have the 64GB model is if you plan on installing a number of games if you simple prefer spending a bit more money for some odd reason. Streaming content, even 4K content, isn’t causing your precious screen savers to disappear.

Ok, but Apple downloads (not streams) screensavers. I use the Aerial screensaver app on my computer at work, and that cache for all the 4K hevc screensavers is around 13GB. I That is a lot of space to occupy. If you can tell me why that would not have an impact on a 32GB AppleTV, ignoring games as an excuse, I’m all ears. I have plenty of video apps and some game apps which are not used.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Ok, but Apple downloads (not streams) screensavers. I use the Aerial screensaver app on my computer at work, and that cache for all the 4K hevc screensavers is around 13GB. I That is a lot of space to occupy. If you can tell me why that would not have an impact on a 32GB AppleTV, ignoring games as an excuse, I’m all ears. I have plenty of video apps and some game apps which are not used.

Because video apps take up very little space. And any streamed content takes up close to zero space. HD content is buffered to be fair but takes up minimal space. 4k material is not downloaded which is why it doesn’t work unless quick start is enabled. It actually takes up less space than watching HD material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Anyone here experiencing the loss of purchased movies and TV series for a short amount of Time or having to turn it OFF and back on to get them to show in your library. I started noticing this right after the latest software update.

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,948
No, but you can check your available storage anytime you wish and clearly see that streamed content buffers are minimal and are not having any impact at all on screensavers.
How do you see that?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Apple TV owners' thread.

I rented The Clovehitch Killer tonight on iTunes. The cover page said the rental was $6.99 but, I got dinged $20.52 (I assume $19.99 plus tax). My wife said she saw $6.99 too. Will someone look and see if we’re both crazy and if not grab a screenshot of the price for me?

Edit: Never mind, it was multiple purchases. It just came as soon as I hit rent. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I rented The Clovehitch Killer tonight on iTunes. The cover page said the rental was $6.99 but, I got dinged $20.52 (I assume $19.99 plus tax). My wife said she saw $6.99 too. Will someone look and see if we’re both crazy and if not grab a screenshot of the price for me?

It looks like you maybe bought it rather than rented it... But I only see the $6.99 rental.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I'm looking for the "streamed content buffers are minimal and are not having any impact at all on screensavers" bit.

However my devices aren't the same size as yours.

Close though .06 difference. When we submit bug reports aren’t the sysdiag logs stored locally and IIRC they stay there until removed. That might account for the small variation.

Reactions: lmartinijr1

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Yeah just found that out. Still plays back HDR. So calibration that way is possible. Wonder if anyone has done that.
I downloaded some HDR patterns I think it was these...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2943380-hdr10-test-patterns-set.html

I made folders in infuse for HDR and SDR. (My SDR patterns were from the AVS 709 zip version)

I did the full SDR calibration and I think for HDR all I did was adjust the color space. (RGBYCMW) I don't really understand full HDR calibration yet.

Someone in the display calibration forum suggested ATV4K is not a good Test Pattern Generator and I guess maybe that's true somehow but the ATV4K is my main source so want to calibrate with it in the loop.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,959
Still plays back HDR. So calibration that way is possible.
If the ATV is your only input you would use it like any other source, the ATV currently sends fixed luminance metadata for HDR10 so it's not an ideal choice otherwise. There's a [calibration section] of AVS for your general calibration questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apple TV 4K Wi-fi Dropping

I have an Apple TV 4K - the Wi-fi regularly drops, which is driving me slowly mad trying to trouble shoot. Would appreciate any help and support.

The ATV4K is connected by Wi-fi to my home network. The network connection periodically slows to a crawl, preventing any apps from operating.

Looking at network diagnostics, I can see that the receiving throughput drops from about 750mbps down to c5mbps. Restarting the Apple TV solves this. Then it will happen again, could be an hour, could be the next day.

I have tried restoring the ATV, changing wifi networks, static IP, static DNS, changing position... nothing seems to fix it. Everything else in the house works perfectly, including a large range of apple products.

Any ideas?!

19941 - 19960 of 30694 Posts