AVS Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 2643 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
It would be cool if they could release 4K HDR YouTube in beta and not hold it until the official 14 release.
Re: tvOS 14, Developer's Beta 2 "There's a new option to manually choose a screensaver category in 'tvOS 14', and for those who watch YouTube, 'tvOS 14' supports watching YouTube videos in 4K for the first time." -- https://www.macrumors.com/

·
Registered
988 Posts
I’m not Jim, but I hope it’s ok to answer anyway. :)

Someone running the tvOS 14 developer beta 1 checked three titles that are confirmed to have a 24.000fps frame rate and he says that they are still output at 23.976Hz (which will produce frame drops).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2961262-apple-tv-4k-lacks-support-24-000-video-19.html#post59844698

So what we can say at the moment is that this issue is still present with the first developer beta of tvOS 14. Some may say that this might change but in my opinion it won’t until the final release. I guess we will have to wait for the new model and see if Apple gets this right on the new one. So we will finally know if this doesn’t get fixed on the current one because of a hardware/firmware limitation or if Apple is just ignorant (if the issue also affects the new one).

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that this topic is only about the public betas of tvOS. So you actually wanted to know if the 24fps issue is fixed with the current public beta of 13.4.8. I’m on the public beta channel myself so I can tell you that the issue is (of course) also still present on this one.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Re: tvOS 14, Developer's Beta 2 "There's a new option to manually choose a screensaver category in 'tvOS 14', and for those who watch YouTube, 'tvOS 14' supports watching YouTube videos in 4K for the first time." -- https://www.macrumors.com/

Just to correct/clarify this comment, 4K YouTube is NOT on tvOS 14 beta 2. If someone has found a video that is showing in 4K please post the details and link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Just to correct/clarify this comment, 4K YouTube is NOT on tvOS 14 beta 2. If someone has found a video that is showing in 4K please post the details and link.

Not Public Beta 2, Developer Beta 2.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Not Public Beta 2, Developer Beta 2.

There’s only a developer beta, no public beta available. I’m in the dev program and there’s no YouTube 4K.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
There’s only a developer beta, no public beta available. I’m in the dev program and there’s no YouTube 4K.

You're right, of course; no public beta for tvOS14. Looks like my referenced source made a mistake. Or, that they are privy to something that the rest of us are not.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
You're right, of course; no public beta for tvOS14. Looks like my referenced source made a mistake. Or, that they are privy to something that the rest of us are not.

It’s possible that Apple hasn’t put this feature in yet and it’s also possible that Google hasn’t released a version for tvOS 14 that supports this yet or a combination of the two.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,610 (Edited)
Looks like my referenced source made a mistake. Or, that they are privy to something that the rest of us are not.
They are just reporting (incorrectly) what Apple posted on the ATV page last month. Apple anticipates YouTube in UHD with the commercial release of tvOS 14. Presumably Google will release a new YouTube app at some point in time that will let us "Watch the latest YouTube videos in their full 4K glory.". The word latest may be casual usage or it may mean a specific limitation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For the adventuresome out there that might not have heard already...

tvOS 14 Public Beta 1 (18J5331g) is now available. Downloading now.

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,848 Posts
For the adventuresome out there that might not have heard already...

tvOS 14 Public Beta 1 (18J5331g) is now available. Downloading now.
I have not been following closely. Are there potential issues with tvOS 14?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I hope Jim will tell us. :)

I thought we would first see the final version of 13.4.8. ... so at the moment people on the public beta channel have to update from the last public beta of 13.4.8. to the first public beta of 14. :eek:

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,848 Posts
I hope Jim will tell us. :)

I thought we would first see the final version of 13.4.8. ... so at the moment people on the public beta channel have to update from the last public beta of 13.4.8. to the first public beta of 14. :eek:
I have never had any issues with public betas, it is just the way Jim announced this update that gave me pause.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts

I’m on tvOS 14 dev beta 2 which is the equivalent of public beta 1. I’ve been using it since dev beta 1 from two weeks ago. No issues and stable so far. YMMV.

Reactions: AustinJerry

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have installed the beta with no issues so far.

I only mentioned "adventuresome" because it was one of the first beta's on a new tvOS. I have not heard of any issues. :)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Is the "Step 1 of 2: Preparing Update" supposed to take this long? I thought it got stuck so I rebooted my ATV4K and then went back to Updates and the Beta was turned Off again. I had to turn it back On and start again. It's now at the same point "Preparing Update".

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Is the "Step 1 of 2: Preparing Update" supposed to take this long? I thought it got stuck so I rebooted my ATV4K and then went back to Updates and the Beta was turned Off again. I had to turn it back On and start again. It's now at the same point "Preparing Update".

IIRC it took longer than normal. Just let it do it’s thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lujan

·
** Man of Leisure **
22,848 Posts
IIRC it took longer than normal. Just let it do it’s thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just updated successfully. The Preparing Update step took slightly less than 5 minutes, in case you get impatient.

Reactions: m_snow
2601 - 2620 of 2643 Posts