AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 2807 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,095 Posts
I ran the Speedtest app on my ATV and am getting 235Mbps download speeds, so no issue here.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Speedtest looks good on my ATV4K as well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Apple released the “Gold Master” builds (that Apple now seems to call release candidates) of iOS and iPadOS 14.2 today.
But for tvOS there hasn’t even been a GM release for tvOS 14.1 yet ... although iOS/iPadOS 14.1 was already released to the public a while ago. Instead Apple continued with the tvOS 14.2 beta cycle.

And now it seems that iOS/iPadOS 14.2 will be released soon to the public, but again no release candidate for tvOS 14.2.

So I wonder what’s going on with tvOS development? Any theories? There are rumors that there will be another Apple event in November ... so maybe they will show the new ATV and that’s why they are holding back tvOS releases?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Apple released the “Gold Master” builds (that Apple now seems to call release candidates) of iOS and iPadOS 14.2 today.
But for tvOS there hasn’t even been a GM release for tvOS 14.1 yet ... although iOS/iPadOS 14.1 was already released to the public a while ago. Instead Apple continued with the tvOS 14.2 beta cycle.

And now it seems that iOS/iPadOS 14.2 will be released soon to the public, but again no release candidate for tvOS 14.2.

So I wonder what’s going on with tvOS development? Any theories? There are rumors that there will be another Apple event in November ... so maybe they will show the new ATV and that’s why they are holding back tvOS releases?
It’s not that unusual.
Which speed test app is good from the
Apple store?
speedtest by ookla

Reactions: beerhunt

·
Registered
992 Posts

According to John Procker the next Gen Apple TV is ready for release.

November does make sense as Apple is trying to build Apple Arcade.

The new Apple TV will have a faster processor. The 13 chip that in in IOS 11pro.

November should be the kick off point for Apple TV as two new game counsels will be out and selling.

In order to get traction on Apple Arcade they need a device for the Christmas season. I believe that waiting until the beginning of Next Year may Hurt Apple Arcade along this the newly bundle service that Apple released yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Besides the faster processor, I wonder what new features (if any) it will have?

·
Premium Member
35,574 Posts

The new Apple TV will have a faster processor. The 13 chip that in in IOS 11pro.

November should be the kick off point for Apple TV as two new game counsels will be out and selling.

In order to get traction on Apple Arcade they need a device for the Christmas season. I believe that waiting until the beginning of Next Year may Hurt Apple Arcade along this the newly bundle service that Apple released yesterday.

Who is John Procker?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Okay on Twitter Jon did talk about new Apple TV. I can’t find his video. I have found this video on Apple TV based on Apple TV leaks.

On Twitter Jon did state that the new Apple TV will be released in March 2021.

Link on new Apple TV

·
Registered
832 Posts

I’m really not convinced that it’s wise to pick the moment that the two heavyweights of gaming release a new console to promote Apple Arcade. From a marketing point of view it’s probably the worst possible time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
394 Posts
The release candidate for tvOS 14.2 was released today ... so sorry for the noise.

And as the slogan for the announced Apple event in November is “one more thing”, it’s more likely that this thing will be the presentation of new Mac books. So the assumption that we won’t see a new ATV this year is probably right.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The release candidate for tvOS 14.2 was released today ... so sorry for the noise.

And as the slogan for the announced Apple event in November is “one more thing”, it’s more likely that this thing will be the presentation of new Mac books. So the assumption that we won’t see a new ATV this year is probably right.
I don’t see a new update on my Apple TV. According to Apple news what was released yesterday was a developer release.

Did you get an update? Will we be getting one this week?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don’t see a new update on my Apple TV. According to Apple news what was released yesterday was a developer release.

Did you get an update? Will we be getting one this week?

I got it and updated this evening (EST).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everybody

Thanks for the feedback on my wifi problems.
After wifi problems on 3 beta-updates in a row i troubleshooted further.

I found the reason for the low mbps, "Default Audio Output".
When set to homepods, doesn't matter if its a single homepod or a stereo pair, my wifi goes down to 10mbps(on 5ghz network).
If it's set to my TV-speakers(HDMI) i reach my limit on 50mbps.
My homepods are on the same 5ghz network. I even tried to take the Apple tv to the bedroom where the router is located and i could still limit the wifi to 10mbps by picking the homepods as Default Audio Output.

If i choose my TV-speakers as the default option but choose to play audio through homepods when holding down the TV-button on the apple remote, there is no problem, i get 4k video in youtube(developer stats), itunes and disney plus, so no issue with the connection to the homepods, it's only when they are set as the default option.

Can somebody with a Homepod reproduce this?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hi everybody

Thanks for the feedback on my wifi problems.
After wifi problems on 3 beta-updates in a row i troubleshooted further.

I found the reason for the low mbps, "Default Audio Output".
When set to homepods, doesn't matter if its a single homepod or a stereo pair, my wifi goes down to 10mbps(on 5ghz network).
If it's set to my TV-speakers(HDMI) i reach my limit on 50mbps.
My homepods are on the same 5ghz network. I even tried to take the Apple tv to the bedroom where the router is located and i could still limit the wifi to 10mbps by picking the homepods as Default Audio Output.

If i choose my TV-speakers as the default option but choose to play audio through homepods when holding down the TV-button on the apple remote, there is no problem, i get 4k video in youtube(developer stats), itunes and disney plus, so no issue with the connection to the homepods, it's only when they are set as the default option.

Can somebody with a Homepod reproduce this?
I've noticed this as well when using HomePod in home theater mode wifi is greatly reduced. Hopefully there will be an upcoming fix.

2761 - 2780 of 2807 Posts