AVS Forum banner

2921 - 2940 of 2986 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
i'm on beta with 14.5 & noticed for last week or so that picture when onscreen items are showing that it seemed to be bright like when TV is in HDR mode. I have always kept my settings on SDR 4k with both match's on & it works great- switches to HDR when show is HDR. but stays in SDR with non-hdr shows. when i cked last night setting was in HDR so one of the beta updates must have changed this setting. I switched it back to SDV 4k with both match rates on.
Folks may want to ck this setting on their Apple TV to see if your also switched to HDR mode during one of the updates.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Welp, you still can’t select integer framerates or 24Hz in the menus still, but they did change the text under each of the options in the format settings, it now says the fractional rate next to each of them in parentheses, and has more of an explanation on the left. View attachment 3106890
View attachment 3106891

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These settings have changed in today’s new beta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
These settings have changed in today’s new beta.
Are you saying that in the latest public beta, all the refresh rates (or at least 23.976Hz) are now available to select manually in the video format settings? If so, that’s weird, since jwort just said in the 24.0Hz problem thread that the only video format settings change in the latest developer beta was the 50Hz options being moved.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Are you saying that in the latest public beta, all the refresh rates (or at least 23.976Hz) are now available to select manually in the video format settings? If so, that’s weird, since jwort just said in the 24.0Hz problem thread that the only video format settings change in the latest developer beta was the 50Hz options being moved.
I’m just saying it’s different than the previous build. Were all the 30fps/29.97’s there before? I do see some stuff was reorganized.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
New dev beta just came out. Look for public beta very soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
New dev beta just came out. Look for public beta very soon.
Are there any changes in the video format settings? More specifically, is 23.976Hz available to select manually? Ideally every non-integer and integer refresh rate should be available to select manually (like on the Nvidia Shield), since apps like YouTube, YouTubeTV, Peacock, CW, and CW Seed don’t support auto refresh rate switching.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Are there any changes in the video format settings? More specifically, is 23.976Hz available to select manually? Ideally every non-integer and integer refresh rate should be available to select manually (like on the Nvidia Shield), since apps like YouTube, YouTubeTV, Peacock, CW, and CW Seed don’t support auto refresh rate switching.
Nope, 24p refresh rates are still not manually selectable. Nothing has changed with regards to the framerate options with this beta. I think at this point, what we currently have is what will be in the final release with regards to this functionality.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone tested out the raised black levels in Dolby Vision? After the frame matching is fixed, this is the next thing we need Apple to fix.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Has anyone tested out the raised black levels in Dolby Vision? After the frame matching is fixed, this is the next thing we need Apple to fix.
No raised black levels with DV here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
No raised black levels with DV here.
Are you saying you’ve never had them, or a recent update fixed them? Also, just curious, what type of TV/display are you using Dolby Vision on your Apple TV with?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Are you saying you’ve never had them, or a recent update fixed them? Also, just curious, what type of TV/display are you using Dolby Vision on your Apple TV with?

I’ve never had them. I have a Sony 930E. Do you have a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Reactions: Brian Hampton

·
Registered
417 Posts
I’ve never had them. I have a Sony 930E. Do you have a screenshot of what you are seeing?
That explains it. The raised black levels only affect TVs using the TV-led implementation of Dolby Vision. Player-Led Dolby vision doesn’t have the issue on the Apple TV, so basically all Sony TVs other than the 2020 X900H and 2021 models are unaffected. I actually use an HDFury to force my ATV4K to use player-led DV on my LG C9 to work around the issue.

It’s most noticeable because the top and bottom letterboxed bars are slightly grey, instead of pitch black on OLED TVs.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
That explains it. The raised black levels only affect TVs using the TV-led implementation of Dolby Vision. Player-Led Dolby vision doesn’t have the issue on the Apple TV, so basically all Sony TVs other than the 2020 X900H and 2021 models are unaffected. I actually use an HDFury to force my ATV4K to use player-led DV on my LG C9 to work around the issue.

It’s most noticeable because the top and bottom letterboxed bars are slightly grey, instead of pitch black on OLED TVs.

That’s not good. Is Apple aware of this via a formal Feedback Assistant report with a Sysdiagnose log? I hope they are.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That’s not good. Is Apple aware of this via a formal Feedback Assistant report with a Sysdiagnose log? I hope they are.

Yeah, it’s been an issue since day 1 of the ATV4K, and there have been many formal reports made of the flaw. Apple seemingly doesn’t care, or doesn’t want to put in the effort to fix it, hopefully that changes.

2921 - 2940 of 2986 Posts