AVS Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 3093 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Don’t suppose lossless audio for Apple Music is there yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"After a week since tvOS 14.6 beta 3 and HomePod 14.6 beta 3 were released, Apple is today seeding their Release Candidate version.
Both tvOS 14.6 as HomePod 14.6 offer bug fixes. Since Apple announced today Apple Music Lossless, tvOS 14.6 and HomePod 14.6 will be able to support high-quality audio when the service launches in June.
With build version 18L569, developers can download the RC version of tvOS 14.6. HomePod users, on the other hand, will have to wait until its public release, since Apple only offers beta versions of the software for a small number of developers.
HomePod 14.6 is the second update Apple smart speaker received after being discontinued two months ago."

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Registered
59 Posts
tvOS 14.6 Public Release Candidate (18L6569) has been released, downloading now
All the extra refresh rate options like 60Hz, 30Hz, 25Hz, 24Hz, and 23.976Hz are still available in the "Other Formats" area of the video format settings, right? I just wanted to confirm that Apple didn't stupidly decide to remove them at the last minute.

·
Registered
598 Posts
All the extra refresh rate options like 60Hz, 30Hz, 25Hz, 24Hz, and 23.976Hz are still available in the "Other Formats" area of the video format settings, right? I just wanted to confirm that Apple didn't stupidly decide to remove them at the last minute.
Yes … still available. (y)

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,997 Posts
I'm wondering if we are going to play Apple Music Atmos through an AVR and get proper multi speaker Atmos. I have no interest in spacial audio through headphones.
What does "spacial audio through headphones" mean? Doesn't spacial audio require more than two drivers? Or are you talking about some psychoacoustic effects?

·
Registered
5.1.4 Setup with Dolby Vision capable OLED
1,099 Posts
What does "spacial audio through headphones" mean? Doesn't spacial audio require more than two drivers? Or are you talking about some psychoacoustic effects?
Sorry I might of misspoke. I really just meant the playback options for The Apple Lossless Music service (Where they also mentioned Atmos support) hasn't really mentioned a way to play back Atmos content "Properly." It seems to be all virtual surround sound through headphones or HomePods or whatever.

·
Premium Member
35,924 Posts

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,997 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Sorry I might of misspoke. I really just meant the playback options for The Apple Lossless Music service (Where they also mentioned Atmos support) hasn't really mentioned a way to play back Atmos content "Properly." It seems to be all virtual surround sound through headphones or HomePods or whatever.
Yes, there is no mention of Apple TV playing these Atmos tracks properly through an AV Atmos-capable receiver.

TIDAL can do Atmos music, so let's hope Apple Music app can too. I really, really want to cancel my TIDAL subscription. Too expensive.

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,053 ·
Yes, there is no mention of Apple TV playing these Atmos tracks properly through an AV Atmos-capable receiver.
How can I listen to Dolby Atmos music?
When you listen with compatible Apple or Beats headphones, Dolby Atmos music plays back automatically when available for a song. For other headphones, [in settings] set Dolby Atmos to Always On. You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible [Apple Device] or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or audiovisual receiver.​
For what it's worth I have the latest OS beta on an ATV4K and an iPhone. I can't find any Atmos/Lossless settings on either device.

·
Registered
560 Posts
How can I listen to Dolby Atmos music?
When you listen with compatible Apple or Beats headphones, Dolby Atmos music plays back automatically when available for a song. For other headphones, [in settings] set Dolby Atmos to Always On. You can also hear Dolby Atmos music using the built‑in speakers on a compatible [Apple Device] or by connecting your Apple TV 4K to a compatible TV or audiovisual receiver.​
For what it's worth I have the latest OS beta on an ATV4K and an iPhone. I can't find any Atmos/Lossless settings on either device.
Great. Thanks for that. Looks like I will be cancelling my TIDAL subscription, which I use solely for Atmos playback on my Apple TV 4K.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
I"m considering not beta testing TVOS when I get my new ATV4K.

So many beta releases seem to changed nothing that I can tell. Seems overwriting that Flash drive that much isn't worth it.

Of course, first time I hear of something new and exciting, that will likely be the end of that.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I"m considering not beta testing TVOS when I get my new ATV4K.

So many beta releases seem to changed nothing that I can tell. Seems overwriting that Flash drive that much isn't worth it.

Of course, first time I hear of something new and exciting, that will likely be the end of that.
We did have some nice updates in the last few months such as the new fps changes that I was excited to test but other than that most were bug fixes. You can always jump into them in the future if something new that interests you comes out.
We should start receiving them next week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
14,637 Posts
Done. Hopefully Apple, or the tvOS-Team for that matter, gets its **** together. It's been broken for too long.
Just checked ATV behavior with a NAD 758v3. Now I do get proper 7.1 from Atmos content. Looks like this bug affects just some SSP's (HTP-1 in my case) but not others. What SSP do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just checked ATV behavior with a NAD 758v3. Now I do get proper 7.1 from Atmos content. Looks like this bug affects just some SSP's (HTP-1 in my case) but not others. What SSP do you have?
My system is not as advanced as yours, is it. I use the Onkyo TX-NR709. Strange to see different behaviors on different devices.

·
Registered
14,637 Posts
My system is not as advanced as yours, is it. I use the Onkyo TX-NR709. Strange to see different behaviors on different devices.
Thanks, that's pre Atmos. So it looks like the ATV misbehaves when it encounters a 7.1 configuration. It seems to be ok with 7.1 if the SSP signals Atmos capabilities.

3041 - 3060 of 3093 Posts