AVS Forum banner

3061 - 3080 of 3093 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always thought Atmos shows and movies should be PCM 5.1 instead of PCM 7.1 (w/o sound on SB) on my non-Atmos device with a 7.2 setup. Never came to my mind some Atmos content actually do have a proper 7.1 configuration. Perhaps I should update my bug report…

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,997 Posts
Thanks, that's pre Atmos. So it looks like the ATV misbehaves when it encounters a 7.1 configuration. It seems to be ok with 7.1 if the SSP signals Atmos capabilities.
Confirmed on my HTP-1 as well. When isolating the rear surrounds, they are silent, even though the HTP-1 shows 7.1 Direct as the input.

·
Registered
14,637 Posts
Confirmed on my HTP-1 as well. When isolating the rear surrounds, they are silent, even though the HTP-1 shows 7.1 Direct as the input.
Please report via the HTP-1 feedback form and keep us posted. I'll do the same.

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,066 ·
iOS devices with a beta profile now give you a choice in those instances where there are two beta releases -- say 14.6RC or 14.7b1. I can't seem to get my AT4Kgen2 to upgrade to 14.6RC. How annoying. On the plus side 14.7 has a bazillion video formats. Now they need some way to search the list.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,997 Posts
iOS devices with a beta profile now give you a choice in those instances where there are two beta releases -- say 14.6RC or 14.7b1. I can't seem to get my AT4Kgen2 to upgrade to 14.6RC. How annoying. On the plus side 14.7 has a bazillion video formats. Now they need some way to search the list.
Wow. There are certainly a ton of video choices. I continue to use 4K SDR with Match Range and Frame Rate enabled. In your opinion, is this still the best all-around setting?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,069 ·
... I continue to use 4K SDR with Match Range and Frame Rate enabled. In your opinion, is this still the best all-around setting?
If [email protected]/HDR YouTube means enough to you that you'll buy the ATV4K 2ndGen/11,1/2021 to watch it then you would set the UI to [email protected]/HDR because YouTube can't be bothered with Matching. Otherwise [email protected]|60/SDR depending on your favorite broken content-service.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,997 Posts
If [email protected]/HDR YouTube means enough to you that you'll buy the ATV4K 2ndGen/11,1/2021 to watch it then you would set the UI to [email protected]/HDR because YouTube can't be bothered with Matching. Otherwise [email protected]|60/SDR depending on your favorite broken content-service.
I rarely watch YouTube videos. My services are Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max, amd that setting seems to be appropriate. However, I am less likely to recognize issues with how video is presented. I am not judging, but I have never identified with the obsession many thread participants have with video support issues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi, can someone with the new Siri remote and tvOS 14.6 please check if the following option is available (it is missing in tvOS 14.5)

Settings > Remotes and Devices > Turn On Your TV with Your Remote

Please post a picture if the option above is available. :)

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,072 ·
I'm reasonbly confident that's an error in the document since tvOS 13.

·
Registered
111 Posts
JSL said:
I'm reasonbly confident that's an error in the document since tvOS 13.
You are right. After reading your post I looked up the Apple documentation and for tvOS 13 and tvOS 14 both say: Go to Remotes and Devices and turn on Turn On Your TV with Your Remote. tvOS 12 says it correctly Go to Remotes and Devices and turn on Control TVs and Receivers.

Anything in tvOS 14.6 or 14.7 that supports the new Power button using IR (for those of us where CEC doesn't work)?
Learning IR for Power button like you can with Volume + - and Mute.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are right. After reading your post I looked up the Apple documentation and for tvOS 13 and tvOS 14 both say: Go to Remotes and Devices and turn on Turn On Your TV with Your Remote. tvOS 12 says it correctly Go to Remotes and Devices and turn on Control TVs and Receivers.

Anything in tvOS 14.6 or 14.7 that supports the new Power button using IR (for those of us where CEC doesn't work)?
Learning IR for Power button like you can with Volume + - and Mute.
Agree with this. I was under the impression that the new remote would IR blast the TV. That option doesn’t seem to be available. Hopefully it’s coming soon with a new iOS update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JSL

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
This isn’t really a big deal to me but I’m sure it is to some.
That explains why it seemed motion was better on you tube. I did not release they caped 4K at 30 frames. I thought it was due to the better chip in the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hopefully tvOS 14.6 is released today to the public. I was able to load the RC on my GEN 1 Apple TV 4K but have upgraded to GEN 2. The only issue I experienced on 14.5 / 14.6 is that TBS, TNT, truTV apps don't load beyond the splash screen. Been in contact with TBS tech support and they claim there is no issue.

·
aka jfinnie
5,445 Posts
Hopefully tvOS 14.6 is released today to the public. I was able to load the RC on my GEN 1 Apple TV 4K but have upgraded to GEN 2. The only issue I experienced on 14.5 / 14.6 is that TBS, TNT, truTV apps don't load beyond the splash screen. Been in contact with TBS tech support and they claim there is no issue.
I wonder if related to the issue I've seen in the UK with NowTV on 14.7 beta on my new ATV4KGen2.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's hard to say without some testing.
I have the new remote and new appletv, I can’t find the way to setup non-CEC power control for other devices.

Reactions: JSL

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the new remote and new appletv, I can’t find the way to setup non-CEC power control for other devices.

That's not possible (at least at the moment). But as a workaround, if you don't need the mute button, you could teach the ATV the power button of your TV by pressing it when you set up volume control via IR. But because of the position of the mute button, I could imagine that you will turn off your TV accidentally several times, at least until you get used to it. But maybe it's a solution for some people.

3061 - 3080 of 3093 Posts