AVS Forum banner

3081 - 3093 of 3093 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's not possible (at least at the moment). But as a workaround, if you don't need the mute button, you could teach the ATV the power button of your TV by pressing it when you set up volume control via IR. But because of the position of the mute button, I could imagine that you will turn off your TV accidentally several times, at least until you get used to it. But maybe it's a solution for some people.
Love this “hack”! Brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
111 Posts
Agree with this. I was under the impression that the new remote would IR blast the TV. That option doesn’t seem to be available. Hopefully it’s coming soon with a new iOS update.
I have the new remote and new appletv, I can’t find the way to setup non-CEC power control for other devices.
If you need the new Siri remote Power button to be able to send IR commands.
Please report it to Apple (link below), hopefully they will fix it if they get enough requests. I asked for the new Power button to control at least 2 devices (TV and audio equipment) via IR. And Learning IR for Discrete Power On/Off and Toggle Power On/Off and Discrete switch device to desired HDMI input. Shouldn't be that hard for Apple they are already doing the IR Learning for Volume + - and Mute.
Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,083 ·
You are right.
Actually not quite. Perhaps the ATV needs to be plugged direct into the display -- mine isn't. The images below are captured from a recording of opening Remotes and Devices and only happens the once unless you force-quite settings. If you're not paying attention you miss it and even if you are it's hard to read unless you record it. Otherwise it just looks like a small video glitch.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 20.09.35 .png Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 20.09.57 .png Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 20.10.10 .png

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually not quite. Perhaps the ATV needs to be plugged direct into the display -- mine isn't. The images below are captured from a recording of opening Remotes and Devices and only happens the once unless you force-quite settings. If you're not paying attention you miss it and even if you are it's hard to read unless you record it. Otherwise it just looks like a small video glitch.
Wow, that's very exciting. Thanks for posting the screenshots.

Having said that, I am unable to access the "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote" menu. It appears and disappears faster than my eyes can register,
Here are the steps I am taking, maybe you can let me know what I am doing wrong?
tvOS 14.6 on ATV HD with new Siri remote (2021 model). Connected ATV directly to LG TV with all LG HDMI CEC settings off.
tvOS 14.6 on ATV 4K (1st gen) with new Siri remote (2021 model). Connected ATV directly to Sony Projector VPLHW45ES that has no HDMI-CEC.
Double click on TV/Home button and swipe up on all Apps including the Settings App.
Open the Settings App clicked on "Remotes and Devices", scrolled down to the bottom.
I recorded a Video of the screen with Quicktime and when play the video I didn't see "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote", but as you implied when I went frame by frame I could see "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote" in 1 frame, just as the Remotes and Devices screen gets displayed.

Same message as in the tvOS 14, manual. "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote."

I made a GIF of the Turn On Your TV with Your Remote "Flicker".

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,085 ·
Having said that, I am unable to access the "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote" menu. It appears and disappears faster than my eyes can register,
If a direct to display connection doesn't work then I assume it requires some specific CEC set up or compatibility. Since it appeared in the tvOS 13 manual it can't require a ATV4Kgen2 or new remote to work. Maybe the Apple Community or Reddit ATV thread have some insight.

Reactions: JSL

·
Registered
111 Posts
If a direct to display connection doesn't work then I assume it requires some specific CEC set up or compatibility. Since it appeared in the tvOS 13 manual it can't require a ATV4Kgen2 or new remote to work. Maybe the Apple Community or Reddit ATV thread have some insight.
Thank you, will check the Apple Community and Reddit ATV thread.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thank you, will check the Apple Community and Reddit ATV thread.
Did not find anything on the Apple Community or the Reddit ATV thread on how to have the new Siri remote Power button Learn IR. Why even add a Power On/Off button when it still relies on HDMI-CEC only? The Power button should have fall back to IR, when required for non CEC devices.

Any updates regarding being able to have the Power button Learn IR, in the latest 14.7 beta?

·
Premium Member
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,090 ·
I noticed that if you enable the HUD it displays in the video album art. In teeny little letters.

·
** Man of Leisure **
24,997 Posts
Is it just me, or does the HBO Max app have some serious issues?

3081 - 3093 of 3093 Posts