AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 2651 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Interesting. I tried Deepwater last night on Vudu ... and I got no audio (but receiver indicated 2 ch audio source). Will try again today.
I was able to test and confirm Atmos for:

- Pacific Rim
- Lucy
- Fantastic Beast...
- Jumanji

What I have not done is compare the spatial accuracy when compared to a Blu-Ray of the same title. I don’t have same title in both formats. Anyone else want to test and report back?

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
Atmos currently (tvOS 12b2) works with iTunes and Vudu with resolution forced to 1080p SDR or HDR. However you should wait until tvOS 12 is released if you want to be sure about the apps you use.
I hate to ask

do you get atmos when playing a 1080p source from vudu
The answer is still the same.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Atmos currently (tvOS 12b2) works with iTunes and Vudu with resolution forced to 1080p SDR or HDR. However you should wait until tvOS 12 is released if you want to be sure about the apps you use.
Not sure what you are trying to say about 1080p HDR ... but AFAIK, Atmos only works if you own the 4K UHD version of the title. I have verified that on some Vudu Atmos titles where I only own the HD version and it does not play the Atmos stream.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #584
If you change it to Convert but leave Atmos set to off, what does the ATV send out?
Convert on is the same as the prior BQA off. You then have to select either AC-3 or stereo, i.e. what it converts to.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
So, can you turn concert off and get a DD+ bitstream for those of us without Atmos speakers?
If you have an Atmos decoder with no Atmos speakers it should still get a DD+ stream with Atmos metadata. The Atmos audio will be mixed accordingly based on your speaker setup.

If you have a legacy DD+ decoder you should still get the DD+ stream with the Atmos metadata ignored. Atmos is really just metadata included in the DD+ or TrueHD streams at least at this point for the consumer level version. I have BDs with DD-TrueHD Atmos tracks and I was able to play those back on legacy DolbyTrueHD decoders without Atmos. I would suspect the same is true with DD+ with Atmos.

You're not doing anything wrong if you decode Atmos with no overhead or Atmos speaker modules. The decoder will know what to do if the speaker layout is not defined for the Atmos channels.

When your decoder indicates Atmos decoding, it's not doing anything special really other than indicating it received a flag that the audio stream has Atmos metadata. The core track is still DD+ or DD-TrueHD. I don't know if there is such a thing as Atmos only track where it is all object based at the consumer level at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
I was able to get Atmos in iTunes movies. Blade runner 2049,Lucy, pacific rim Uprising until about 30 minutes ago than now just 5.1 Urdu still getting Atmos. Even did a restart . Just mentioning this. Understanding this is beta I’m sure it will improve. Was nice when working.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
If you have an Atmos decoder with no Atmos speakers it should still get a DD+ stream with Atmos metadata. The Atmos audio will be mixed accordingly based on your speaker setup.

If you don't have an Atmos decoder you should still get the DD+ stream with the Atmos metadata ignored. Atmos is really just metadata included in the DD+ or TrueHD streams at least at this point for the consumer level version. I have BDs with DD-TrueHD Atmos tracks and I was able to play those back on legacy Dolby decoders without Atmos. I would suspect the same is true with DD+ with Atmos.

You're not doing anything wrong if you decode Atmos with no overhead or Atmos speaker modules. The decoder will know what to do if the speaker layout is not defined for the Atmos channels.
Not sure this is true for all AVRs but at least with Denon you have to have at least 2 front height/atmos/ceiling speakers configured for the Atmos track to be decoded otherwise it drops down to the core DD+ track and I believe the metadata is ignored.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Not sure this is true for all AVRs but at least with Denon you have to have at least 2 front height/atmos/ceiling speakers configured for the Atmos track to be decoded otherwise it drops down to the core DD+ track and I believe the metadata is ignored.
That's what I'm saying. The metadata is only accounted for if the speaker setup indicates Atmos speakers are connected. The Atmos audio is already in the main channels. The metadata can contain information about moving certain embedded objects to other speakers based on the configuration. Dolby claims nothing is thrown away when tracks with Atmos are played on legacy equipment. The original DD+ and TrueHD algorithms contained space for metadata that was reserved for future use (i.e. Atmos). It's why the Atmos format is backwards compatible with the codecs from the mid-2000s.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I was able to test and confirm Atmos for:

- Pacific Rim

- Lucy

- Fantastic Beast...

- Jumanji

What I have not done is compare the spatial accuracy when compared to a Blu-Ray of the same title. I don’t have same title in both formats. Anyone else want to test and report back?

It’s not even close to the dynamism of an Atmos track on either a Blu-ray or UHD disc. It is a slight upgrade on the 5.1 PCM tracks and that’s about all you could say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
That's what I'm saying. The metadata is only accounted for if the speaker setup indicates Atmos speakers are connected. The Atmos audio is already in the main channels. The metadata can contain information about moving certain embedded objects to other speakers based on the configuration. Dolby claims nothing is thrown away when tracks with Atmos are played on legacy equipment. The original DD+ and TrueHD algorithms contained space for metadata that was reserved for future use (i.e. Atmos). It's why the Atmos format is backwards compatible with the codecs from the mid-2000s.
Ok so we are on the same page. Without the metadata I don't think there would be much difference compared to any old DD+ or TrueHD track other than differences in how they are mixed. If it was allowed, however, I'd bet decoding of atmos even to a 5.1 setup would sound better with better object placement even without any heights. I'm assuming it's not allowed to help promote Atmos speaker sales or they just don't want people to have a half way Atmos experience and be turned away.

·
Premium Member
23,894 Posts
I was able to grab Atmos from Rampage Vudu. I will say it would not pass through the Oppo 203 so I ended up going through the Marantz 8805 first (I am Reviewing one) which at first I could not get HDR to work. After going into the set up menu on the Marantz and changing HDMI to ENHANCED All was good. Getting HDR and Atmos. This is with the public beta 12.0. Tonight I will load the Developer latest and play around more with iTunes titles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
Updated and left mine on Auto/Atmos under audio. I do not have an Atmos setup, but when I watched my owned Last Jedi in Vudu the Yamaha A3060 showed Atmos on the front, sounded fine.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Just a warning for people considering this first tvOS 12 public beta. I found the Computers app (for playing from a remote iTunes library using Home Sharing) to be basically unusable. Wrong artwork displayed if you shuffle, songs stop and kick back out to computer selection menu after 10 seconds etc. If you care about that you may want to wait a release or two. I hooked up an old AppleTV 4 with the release software to play my music/videos for now.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
Thank you. FYI, it’s the same build as the newest developer beta.
This is with the public beta 12.0. Tonight I will load the Developer latest and play around more with iTunes titles.
As noted they're the same at the moment. Although past performance is not a predictor of future performance beta-1 and beta-2 were two weeks apart.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Updated and tried several Vudu movies. My receiver - Yamaha RX-A760, will briefly show Dolby TrueHD, then it will display Atmos. The beginning of Man of Steel sounds very good, and I can tell the difference during the opening scenes when the Kryptonian ships are flying all over. Looking forward to more tweaking...

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Installed and tried blade runner 2049. It’s NOT working in iTunes but it turning on atmos in vudu app. The Matrix shows atmos on vudu I but I get no audio when I tried it in the vudu app. Wonder Woman also worked in vudu.

Seems iTunes isn’t working anymore right now.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Installed and tried blade runner 2049. It’s NOT working in iTunes but it turning on atmos in vudu app. The Matrix shows atmos on vudu I but I get no audio when I tried it in the vudu app. Wonder Woman also worked in vudu.

Seems iTunes isn’t working anymore right now.
I can confirm I am seeing the same thing with Blade Runner 2049 via iTunes, it is playing back in LPCM and not Atmos.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You would think that Apple with all the RD & big iTune library money figure out the sound by now but they're light yrs away from it .

581 - 600 of 2651 Posts