AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need help trying to find a set-top box that will play HD rentals streamed or downloaded from the internet. Now all of the set-top boxes have their own strong points. I'm really not sure which strong points are more important to me.

This is how I've analyzed it...

Apple TV:

$229 model & $329 model

rentals from $2.99 SD & $3.99 HD (720p)

Wireless N

Rentals downloaded from PC Itunes can be watched via TV/Ipod/Iphone or Apple TV

USB 2.0 port

HDMI port

Very attractive case

$1,000 titles, but every major studio on board

VUDU:

$399 model

Rentals from $.99 to $3.99

Can purchase movies

Expandable storage via USB

No wireless, only Ethernet (not that big a deal for me)

HDMI port

1080p24 playback

Very attractive case & remote

$5,000 titles

Netflix/LG:

Not released yet, specs unknown

Rumored to have subscription of $3.99-$16.99

Rumored to cost $399

unlimited rentals from $6,000 titles

Please help with my decision. I want to make this purchase so it will last at least 4-5 years. I am finished with DVD's all together. I am leaning towards the VUDU so far. I also have an Iphone so, Apple TV is an option. Although I don't know how long I will have my Iphone for.

(sorry if this thread is in the wrong section. i searched the main forum page and couldn't find a section that quite matched. mods, move thread accordingly. thanks.)

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Considering one of those technologies just announced online rentals 4 days ago and the other doesn't exist yet, it's a little hard to recommend something to you as of now.

The Digital Media Servers and Content Streamers section would probably be a better place to research your questions also.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/12866617

Considering one of those technologies just announced online rentals 4 days ago and the other doesn't exist yet, it's a little hard to recommend something to you as of now.

The Digital Media Servers and Content Streamers section would probably be a better place to research your questions also.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

shoot, i was looking for that. sorry.

mod/admin can you move my thread please.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimcliff /forum/post/12866664

shoot, i was looking for that. sorry.

mod/admin can you move my thread please.

Apple TV works over your computer as well as through a set top box so you can get a good feel for it without buying anything. I went through their demo it is impressive.

The Netflix online rentals only work in Wintel land but are also impressive (for the current computer based service). I wonder if the Hi def option will be available without a set top box just like Apple's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts