AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with solutions to my dilemma. Here is my rundown of setup:
Apple TV 4K direct HDMI into Samsung 60" Plasma 1080P. Audio in apple tv set to 5.1 DD. That passes a bitstream DD signal through to TV optical out to my Rotel RSP-1069 (HDMI 1.1). The reason is, 1080p video from apple tv through the Rotel causes video dropouts and flickers in and out till it stops displaying altogether. I think it's the HDMI in the rotel but not sure. If I set apple tv to 720p output, it passes through the rotel. The video straight to TV in its best possible resolution is awesome and I don't think it can be matched through any receiver or pre/pro new or old. To me, straight into the display is best. I do the same with my Panasonic DMP-BDT350 player. The difference is I am able to run HDMI audio-only out from BD player (HDMI Sub. out)into Rotel and have excellent PCM DD True HD and DTS MA audio as well as straight video into plasma tv. I want the same capability in Apple TV. I want the auto audio (PCM multichannel) from the apple tv into my rotel, and the video straight to TV like it is now. I've tried my pioneer vsx-92txh which is HDMI 1.3, but the video is hindered into TV and the audio just cannot compete with my rotel. Even with my rotel amps on the pioneer, it just can't compete with the RSP-1069 for audio quality in TV, Movies, or 2 channel music. No Contest.

Because I do not need 4kvideo or immersive sound (5.2 is my setup), I don't want a new pre/pro or receiver. I wan't a good way to get apple tv audio over HDMI multichannel PCM to my rotel. Is there a way for me to achieve this? I should have bought an oppo years ago that I could run apple tv into hdmi in, then have split video/audio output. I didn't, they are out of reach price wise, and not really an option now and not sure that would have worked anyway.
The reason I like apple tv 4k is it allows all the streaming services I use as well as my TV provider (youtube tv), also my itunes movies and music, and the user interface is the best out there. My roku causes the same 1080p video issues through rotel and the user interface is not as good as apple tv.

Perhaps there is a Blu-ray player that has all the streaming apps I need, has a like user interface as apple tv, and has 2 hdmi outs. Any suggestions on that? If Apple would just add an HDMI audio out on the apple tv, I'd be golden.

I appreciate any suggestions. I know I had a similar post before, and all the help got me to here. I'm settled on my rotel for my audio and not wanting to pass my video through an AV receiver. Looked into audio extractors and the rotel does have bass mgmt for analog ins, but I prefer HDMI Multichannel PCM.
Also, I use a UR MX-950 remote (that I can still program running xp virtual machine on my windows 7 pc). So input switching and all that is not an issue for me at all. My custom macros are perfect.

Any suggestions would be awesome and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Consider not doing bitstream until you get a modern audio processor.
But thin with apple tv audio set to auto(PCM and LPCM depending on program) through TV, will all be converted to 2 channel PCM over optical from TV to rotel pre/pro. Your suggestion is to run hdmi through new pre/pro to TV. I f I thought one could give me my audio excellence that I have from rotel, and not hinder the video to TV, I suppose I could go towards that. I tried this with my pioneer and it did not perform well in video pass thru and audio quality. But thank you very much for your reply.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Since you are only trying to view 1080p a simple HDMI splitter should be able to send the same signal from the ATV to both your TV and your amp Monoprice Blackbird 4K 1x2 HDMI 2.0 Splitter, Pigtail, HDCP 2.2, [email protected] - Monoprice.com My only concern is it seems that your Rotel is struggling with the 1080p signal. To deal with this issue you can either set the ATV to output only 720p or you can pickup a device that has both a splitter and a scaler built in to send 720p to your Rotel and 1080p to your TV like this one HDFury 4K Ultra AVRkey - Monoprice.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since you are only trying to view 1080p a simple HDMI splitter should be able to send the same signal from the ATV to both your TV and your amp Monoprice Blackbird 4K 1x2 HDMI 2.0 Splitter, Pigtail, HDCP 2.2, [email protected] - Monoprice.com My only concern is it seems that your Rotel is struggling with the 1080p signal. To deal with this issue you can either set the ATV to output only 720p or you can pickup a device that has both a splitter and a scaler built in to send 720p to your Rotel and 1080p to your TV like this one HDFury 4K Ultra AVRkey - Monoprice.com
I just watched a video on the hd fury key. I actually only need to send video to TV and be able to send original audio pcm signal to rotel. If any splitter will take 1 in and send 2 out with audio and video, Id be golden. Again, don't need any 4k or immersive sound capability. Do you think a splitter will do it? Thank you

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
A simple splitter may not work for you if it still sends too large of a video signal to your Rotel. An audio extractor might work more dependably. Besides the HDfury products (excellent, but maybe overkill and more expensive than what you need?) there are ViewHD products worth trying. (Like the HDfury products the ViewHD products also manage EDID and HDCP correctly.)

I used the second one in a similar situation to you ... I had an ATV4K and 4K TV but my AVR could only handle/pass-through 1080p. The ATV4K went into the ViewHD which had separate HDMI outputs for audio and video.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
A simple splitter may not work for you if it still sends too large of a video signal to your Rotel. An audio extractor might work more dependably. Besides the HDfury products (excellent, but maybe overkill and more expensive than what you need?) there are ViewHD products worth trying. (Like the HDfury products the ViewHD products also manage EDID and HDCP correctly.)

I used the second one in a similar situation to you ... I had an ATV4K and 4K TV but my AVR could only handle/pass-through 1080p. The ATV4K went into the ViewHD which had separate HDMI outputs for audio and video.
That second device looks perfect to remedy this issue. The OP should definitely consider it so they still have access to the HD audio codecs that an optical output couldn’t pass.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That second device looks perfect to remedy this issue. The OP should definitely consider it so they still have access to the HD audio codecs that an optical output couldn’t pass.

Thank you very much. I will order the second one. I believe you guys have provided a great solution. Thank you

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
If you have any questions check the viewhd website - you can contact support directly there. They were very helpful in assisting me to get the right device.
ViewHD Hdmi Switches | Hdmiswitches

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I received the VHD-UHAE2. It works perfect for this application. No ill effect on video to TV and actually the LPCM seems even a little better. It has an EDID button and you can change the audio you want for your application. Really glad This is working. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A lot of TVs have HDMI audio out. You could feed that to your Rotel. A lot of TVs have analog audio out. You could feed that to your Rotel. The question then is whether the DACs in the TV are as good as the DACs in the Rotel. It's hard to guess, but there's no reason to think that a good quality TV doesn't have good quality DAC.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
A lot of TVs have HDMI audio out. You could feed that to your Rotel. A lot of TVs have analog audio out. You could feed that to your Rotel. The question then is whether the DACs in the TV are as good as the DACs in the Rotel. It's hard to guess, but there's no reason to think that a good quality TV doesn't have good quality DAC.
His Rotrel pre/pro is HDMI 1.1... so no HDMI-ARC (and also no TrueHD/DTS-HD MA) but it does support multichannel LPCM. Using analog audio from the TV would be 2ch only. Given the OP's existing equipment and the fact that the ATV4K outputs Multichannel LPCM, the device he implemented is likely the best possible solution without replacing the pre/pro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts