AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to connect an apple TV to a lumagen HDP Pro? Right now I am running an HD DVD A1, Motorola cable box, and a Samsung OTA receiver through the lumagen without a problem. I have recently connected the Aplle TV to the lumagen through the HDMI port and get no picture.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The specifications for the Apple TV show that it can output 1080p/1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), and 480p 60Hz. The Lumagen ProHDP can accept these resolutions.

Best regards,

Randy Freeman

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Vision HDP cannot accept 1080/60p on input but can output that resolution. If the movies being downloaded from Apple are 720p native then set 720p output on the Apple TV to prevent additional scaling.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Actually, the AppleTV supports:

480p

576p

720p-50/60

1080i-50/60
The information that you quoted Randy is actually part of this statement (which is confusing):
Compatible with enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of 1080p/1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. My problem probably lies more with my set up than the equipment. As you know the HDP pro has 2 DVI inputs, SDI, Component, etc. I am running everything through the scaler to a Barco 1209/2 projector. I am running a Toshiba HD DVD A1 through one of the DVI ports and it works great. I am running the Apple TV, Samsung OTA receiver, and a Motorola Cable box through an HDMI automatic switch to the other DVI input on the processor. I can get the component (input 4) to work with the Apple TV but the picture is skewed way left. It seems that everything going into the DVI inputs come out perfectly (I am using the DVi out to a DVI to RGb converter mounted on th projector). I also set up the projector using the HD DVD player. The Samsung and Motorola boxes work fine but the ssue is the Apple.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I may have my model wrong (it is the last generation) with 2 DVI inputs. I run an HDMI to DVI cable with no problem. ATV outputting 720 p. This may not help but it does work on my setup (into a plasma at 768p)

·
Registered
430 Posts
First confirm that the ProHDP is correctly setup to drive the display. Display the internal test patterns by pressing "Menu, MISC, TPAT, PATS, Ok, Ok" Use the right arrow button to display the "Overscan" test pattern. The test pattern should be centered on your screen. Use the position controls on the display to center the image.

You can calibrate the position and overscan on each input Select the input. Press "Menu, IN, CONFIG, ADJ, SIZE". Adjust the top left and then the bottom right. Save the new settings when you are finished.

You can do a factory reset to see if the image is centered. Press "Menu 0999". See if the image from the AppleTV is now centered. Do a "Save" if you want to keep the factory default settings. Press "Standby" and then "On" to restore the last saved values.

Best regards,

Randy Freeman

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Randy, I will try all that tonight. For some rason I thought the position could only be adjusted on the output.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy, I got the Apple TV to work through component out to input 4 but I still can not get a picture using the HDMI out to DVI input 2. Using 1080i output from the Apple TV do you think there would be much of a picture quality difference using one or the other?

I was able to adjust the picture using the input size adjust controls you mentioned earlier. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts