AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread about 500u vs the 8UK, but that's apples to oranges.


Two scenarios:

1) Buy the 50" 7UY now.

2) Wait for the 8UK to be released and make the decision then.


Worth the wait? Why... what advantages are known about the 50"-8UK?


Do people think the prices of the 7UY will drop much farther after the 8UK is released, or are they about as low as they are going to get?


Anyone have an inkling on the pricing of the 50"-8UK?


There must be others in this same situation... what are your leanings?

Pro's-cons?


:D


cheers!


shane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I to am in the same boat. I have pretty much decided one or the other. I believe some other posters are thinking along these lines too. I am a newbie to Plasma and just try to read alot on the forum. I am sure once the 8uk comes out there will be more info. I was hoping to have this info in time to get my HD for the beginning of football season. OH well


David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
I say grab a 7UA now. Tried and true. Plus you get it NOW! :)


John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump...


Thanks John. That certainly has it's positive aspect :D


I guess not many out there have opinions on this, nor are in the same situation.


Odd... I thought there would be plenty ;)


shane
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,133 Posts
I think the price will be about the same and they are only about 1 month away......I'd wait and check out the reviews from the folks here.


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
I have a 7UY and I say wait. Not that I don't like the TV, but to be honest, it seems like I just got this display yesterday and already its last years news. Reality is I bought it last November-ish - holiday time. Give yourself that few more months to marvel in the latest of the latest. Or not. I mean if you care about that at all. Its all emotion anyway since both of these PDPs are top notch; you can do no wrong either way.


I guess what I am saying is this: there's no major thing coming with this generation or 50" - no 1920x1080, no more slots (AFAIK), no more colors (AFAIK), and certainly no 1080p supported on digital inputs (AFAIK). Still, the panel will be an 8G and in all liklihood won't cost a dime more than the 7G equivalent. You want the newer one, so just get it. Peace of mind means something, even if there's no logical basis for it.


Or not, but that's my 2c.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts
I'm waiting to see how much the Panny price drop is. Was thinking of the 42HD7UY but don't know who has them to look at. The 42PX50U is nice but i need a PC hookup. I don't think the 500U is price dropping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano
sort of tough to compare two things when one isn't out yet. i'd wait. (hell, i am waiting)
Yup, that's how I'm leaning... but I wanted to hear how others in the forum felt about this, and what they were doing about it.


Though the question isn't really about comparing now. It's about whether to buy now, or wait tull the new model arrives... and *then* compare. ;)


shane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
I am not sure there will be a choice after the 8's are out. VA dropped the 42" 7's before the 8's were out so if you wish to buy from them you may have your decsion made for you by default if you wait to long. There may be other merchants selling the 7's once the 8's ship but perhaps not.


I agree that a tried and true best of the lot 7 is probably the best choice right now but the price continues to drop and we may get another couple hundred $ reduction on the 7's right before they are no longer available. That will make the choice even more agonizing because I predict the 8's will not be quite dollar for dollar the same but may be 500 or so more than the closing out 7's. That is what happened with the 42" ED. I bought in March for around 1700 but right before they closed them the price dropped to less than 1500. The new 8's came in back at 1700. I suspect the 50" may do a propotional jump but there is talk on another thread of an across the board drop on all Panny's at the end of this month.


I have convinced myself to wait and see but if the 50" 7 drops to less than 3k I may snatch it up.


As far as buyers remorse for not waiting, another year will come and go before you know it and even the 8 will be old tech then. when the 9's or 10's come out there may be 1080p by then but I doubt if I will upgrade agian for many years. Unless another hurricane comes by...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I, for one, will be waiting anxiously for any reviews here on the black level change improvement in the new 42phd8uk as compared to the problematic 42phd7uy. That will be a major deal maker/breaker for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Cherry post. Just dropped the hammer on a TH-50PHD7UY. Visual Apex has lowered their prices recently (not that it would have mattered - I'm an impatient bugger).


Hoping that that the wine has ripened w/age... :)


Now to find out just how bad the Oppo is going to look w/this PDP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as all of you. I was going to go with a 42PHD7UY, but then saw the WD8UK announcement in June. It's just a matter of reading the forums a few times a day, and checking back at Visual Apex's website every morning. :)


I'm going for the 42", so I'm holding out for the 8UK hoping that the black level problem is corrected.


But then again, I prefer the little features of the 8UK...buttons on the bottom, new remote, supposed 1080p support (though it will convert to fit the native resolution of the panel), and just the fact that it's the latest model.


I just moved into a brand new apartment, so I'm just WAITING to get it in there...it'll be the icing on the cake for me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75
Were the 7uy's affected by the "black" level problem? Anyone know for sure? :confused:
I've been told it was only the 42" model.


Does anyone know if, say, they release the HD8UK and run into some problems, if they'll fix them and release another revision? I'd kinda' hate to buy one that's got an annoying problem, then have Panasonic fix it and me be stuck with it since I got one from the first batch out of Japan.


Does anyone know what their policy would be on this? Would they replace mine? Just a hypothetical...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts
I'm not sure if posting this is allowed but I need some feedback on this offer for a 50PHD7uy: 7daybargains


[Retail Direct Links Are Not Allowed]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
This could be an advance on the forthcoming panasonic price cuts.


It's tempting, but I'd stay away from an unknown seller when that kind of money is involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicheyPoor
I'm not sure if posting this is allowed but I need some feedback on this offer for a 50PHD7uy:
it's a single page web site with only one item to sell -- and without even the minimal protection afforded by ebay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey... that is a great price all-right... from a completely unknown seller. Hmm...

I think I'll wait until:


1) VA drops it's price substantially, or

2) The 8s hit the market.


Ah... the waiting game. Such fun. ;)


shane
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top