AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those questions that doesn't "fit" in any of the established forums, so hopefully no one is offended by my posting this here.

I have a nice entertainment center, and I want to keep it. Based on the dimensions of the TV space, I have three choices: a 32" 4x3 CRT; a 34" 16x9 CRT; or, the new Sony 42A10 LCD rear projection set. Due to it's unique design, it will just barely fit, height-wise. No other set, regardless of brand or design, will fit -- excepting the various 32" or 34" CRTs. (Not only are the 36" 4x3 CRT sets too tall, all of them exceed the rated maximum weight for the TV shelf.)

Actually, there is a fourth option: rig up a screen of exactly the same dimensions as the TV opening, and figure out how to get a front projector positioned to hit it with exactly the right size image. Not very practical in my setting, so I'm not seriously considering it.

As the title says, I know this is comparing two unrelated technologies. However, based on my configuration (my apartment forces a 10 foot viewing distance), I'm thinking I'd really like something a bit bigger than 32". And since our cable company has come right out and said they have no plans for implementing HDTV in our area (I can't get satellite, due to the apartment arrangements), I'm expecting to continue to watch mostly SD 4x3 programming from my TiVo for at least another year. Widescreen would only come into play on DVDs and letterboxed TV shows.

The new Sony A10 RPTVs are getting good responses over in the RPTV forum, so I'm leaning in that direction. However, I would appreciate some comments from the CRT-backers. For 10' away, could you see a 34" 16x9 being a decent choice? My concern there is for non-stretched viewing (centered image), 4x3 programs would not be much bigger than the image on my existing Sanyo 25" 4x3 CRT. (Yeah, it's really small and I'm dying to replace it -- so if I'm going to spend the money, I'm hoping for a significant improvement.)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
After reading your post...I would actually say get a good 32" CRT HD (just to futureproof it a bit). It will display your 4:3 SD material quite well, and if/when your area gets HD you could still mess around with it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's a trade-off, I went from a 32" 4:3 TV to a 28" 4:3 view on my new Sony 34" XBR960 16:9 set. Not sure of your cabinet size but I know Sony is responding to people's complaints about their TVs being too wide and now is placing speakers at the bottom on many of their new LCD sets.

I say bigger screen is better, I only went with the Sony 34" tube cause I wasn't ready to spend what the flat panels cost and I didn't want a RP set. The 34" Sony fits my cabinet well but I see a Sony 37" Plasma would fit too. My cabinet is 27"H x 48" W.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Well, I think I can give an opinion on this matter seeing as i'm currently selling my 34" Sony XBR-910. :D

I have my XBR910 on ebay as I type this and i'm taking delivery on a 42" A10 any day now. I can honesty say both tvs are fantastic. The 34" XBR and all of Sony's 34" sets have an amazing picture quality. But, these newer LCD Projection sets are getting more and more impressive and this A10 model is the pinnacle of LCD Projection from everything i've seen to date.

I would say go with the 42" A10 because at 10 feet you are gonna have a nice size tv, you'll still be able to watch all your 4:3 material without having to stretch it because this tv suffer no burn in, and you'll be future-proof for years to come becaue of the tvs size and it's amazing assortment of inputs including a PC input! Yes, thats right, you can hook your computer up to this tv without a problem.

It also has 3 component inputs! You're not gonna find many tvs that offer that. The A10 is a no brainer IMO. Thats the only true "future proof" tv of the ones you're looking at. The future is widescreen HDTV and anyone telling you to buy a 4:3 tv now is not aware of that. At least 70% of the shows I watch everyday are in HD right now. In a few years it will be more like 90%. HDTV is only getting more and more common by the day and you'll want a widescreen tv for a long time to come.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
Well, I think I can give an opinion on this matter seeing as i'm currently selling my 34" Sony XBR-910. :D

I have my XBR910 on ebay as I type this and i'm taking delivery on a 42" A10 any day now. I can honesty say both tvs are fantastic. The 34" XBR and all of Sony's 34" sets have an amazing picture quality. But, these newer LCD Projection sets are getting more and more impressive and this A10 model is the pinnacle of LCD Projection from everything i've seen to date.

I would say go with the 42" A10 because at 10 feet you are gonna have a nice size tv, you'll still be able to watch all your 4:3 material without having to stretch it because this tv suffer no burn in, and you'll be future-proof for years to come becaue of the tvs size and it's amazing assortment of inputs including a PC input! Yes, thats right, you can hook your computer up to this tv without a problem.

It also has 3 component inputs! You're not gonna find many tvs that offer that. The A10 is a no brainer IMO. Thats the only true "future proof" tv of the ones you're looking at. The future is widescreen HDTV and anyone telling you to buy a 4:3 tv now is not aware of that. At least 70% of the shows I watch everyday are in HD right now. In a few years it will be more like 90%. HDTV is only getting more and more common by the day and you'll want a widescreen tv for a long time to come.
I'm glad an "A10" customer was able to add helpful input here.

I do take exception, though, to the statement that the "future is widescreen HDTV and anyone telling you to buy a 4:3 tv now is not aware of that." The future is Digital TV, for OTA. It's part of a law that's been passed and confirmed. The requirement is only for over the air broadcasts, and even then, only 6 of the 18 prescribed digital formats are HD. Because of bandwidth, read $, it will be cost prohibitive for the networks to air only HD. I am absolutely certain that there will still be all kinds of SD 4:3 and 16:9 material in the years to come. If someone intends to watch 4:3 sd material for the most part, recommending a 4:3 hd set is not borne of ignorance.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Since I got my HD set a month ago I've learned there's only some primetime even broadcast in HD, and of that, very little I want to watch. I love my 16:9 screen though. I'm getting the most out of it for movies and DVDs. but most TV program watching is not improved that much in HD. I mean a bad sitcom is still a bad sitcom.

There's just so much I want to watch about trains on PBS! I will probably add some pay cable HD in the future.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Regardless of whatever numbers you want to post i'm just giving an honest assessment after having owned HDTVs for a few years now and having an HDTV service provider.

When you consider the amount of HD programming available right now I just have no idea how someone could buy a 4:3 set right now. Almost every single NFL game during the season is broadcast in HD now. There are numerious HD NBA games on every week during the season. I can watch every single White Sox and Cube game in HD during the baseball season. Almost every single prime time tv show is in HD on the major networks. TNT, FOX, the WB have almost every single show presented HD right now. This fall Good Morning America becomes the first morning show to go HD. Jay Leno and Conan Obrien are in HD every night of the week, and Saturday Night Live will begin it's new season this fall in HD every week. David Letterman is going HD this fall.

I don't think most people realize just how much HD is available right now. I just touched on a small portion of it in that paragraph above.

Then, when you figure in every single DVD released is widescreen. All the next generation game systems are proming high def widescreen gaming and that begins this fall with the Xbox360.

How on earth someon could say a 4:3 tv is a good idea right now is just beyond me. Sure it's ok for now but every month it seems that more and more content is becoming widescreen high def. It is the future and it's happening right now..

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I disagree with poster on just how much HD is broadcast. It's a small percentage.

I guess if I watched sports it would be better but I don't.

But I wanted to ask where is the 42" Sony A10 LCD? It's not on Sony site yet, that I can see.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm sorry but what channels are you waiting on to go HD? Food Network?

The vast majority of Primetime Network shows are shown in HD, there are the HD premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime,), Dishnetwork offers ~ 20 HD channels, The major cable channels have made the move to HD IE (SCIFI channel, TNT, WGN, Discovery, ESPN 1& 2, etc...,

There is more HD content on then the air then you most likely have time to watch.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
"But I wanted to ask where is the 42" Sony A10 LCD? It's not on Sony site yet, that I can see"

Yes, it is on their website. Look under projection tvs.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oops, I thought it was a flat panel 42" LCD, same model numbering as Sony's expanding line of LCD displays, A10.

Mr Gates,

I guess you are right, but network HD is all I get right now and I don't watch sports. Talk shows on HD is not exactly why I wanted HD. I did watch Desperate Housewives twice. I guess I should have waited to get HD but I wasn't sure when Sony was gonna drop HD tubes and I didn't want to pay HD flat panel prices.

I've mostly seen mediocre sitcoms, some docs on PBS, (seems like it's always about trains). Watching widescreen DVD movies on the set has been more enjoyable than most HD TV programming I've seen.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
Regardless of whatever numbers you want to post i'm just giving an honest assessment after having owned HDTVs for a few years now and having an HDTV service provider.

When you consider the amount of HD programming available right now I just have no idea how someone could buy a 4:3 set right now. Almost every single NFL game during the season is broadcast in HD now. There are numerious HD NBA games on every week during the season. I can watch every single White Sox and Cube game in HD during the baseball season. Almost every single prime time tv show is in HD on the major networks. TNT, FOX, the WB have almost every single show presented HD right now. This fall Good Morning America becomes the first morning show to go HD. Jay Leno and Conan Obrien are in HD every night of the week, and Saturday Night Live will begin it's new season this fall in HD every week. David Letterman is going HD this fall.

I don't think most people realize just how much HD is available right now. I just touched on a small portion of it in that paragraph above.

Then, when you figure in every single DVD released is widescreen. All the next generation game systems are proming high def widescreen gaming and that begins this fall with the Xbox360.

How on earth someon could say a 4:3 tv is a good idea right now is just beyond me. Sure it's ok for now but every month it seems that more and more content is becoming widescreen high def. It is the future and it's happening right now..
Don't get me wrong, I am an avid HD/Widescreen advocate.

But what you've listed as examples is a major exaggeration! Sports - I would say the major games in baseball get some HD coverage. Only the Master's for golf gets HD coverage. I do see lots of NBA in HD. The NFL gets good hd coverage. It's very, very rare that Auto Racing gets covered in HD. No Hockey at all, yet. It is just not true that almost every primetime show is in HD. ABC is chief amongst those missing the HD boat. TNT, FOX, the WB do NOT have almost every single show presented HD right now - that's reserved for a few in primetime only, and only if you can get them over the air, as cable has not implemented these nets in HD well at all.

Yes, hd coverage is getting better. If the idea of someone getting a 4:3 set is beyond you, then you're simply challenged. For many all they can get is sd. For many, many more cost is a real barrier. For others, the configuration of their environment just doesn't allow for a WS, HD set. Many are smartly choosing 4:3 to avoid burn-in, since what they like to watch is still in sd.

The HT world is not as black & white as you seem to think. There's room for everyone and everyone's choices. Going 4:3 is neither ignorant nor "behind the times," it's simply a choice. Try to tell someone who owns a 36" HD XBR set that they've mad a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
Don't get me wrong, I am an avid HD/Widescreen advocate.

But what you've listed as examples is a major exaggeration! Sports - I would say the major games in baseball get some HD coverage. Only the Master's for golf gets HD coverage. I do see lots of NBA in HD. The NFL gets good hd coverage. It's very, very rare that Auto Racing gets covered in HD. No Hockey at all, yet. It is just not true that almost every primetime show is in HD. ABC is chief amongst those missing the HD boat. TNT, FOX, the WB do NOT have almost every single show presented HD right now - that's reserved for a few in primetime only, and only if you can get them over the air, as cable has not implemented these nets in HD well at all.

Yes, hd coverage is getting better. If the idea of someone getting a 4:3 set is beyond you, then you're simply challenged. For many all they can get is sd. For many, many more cost is a real barrier. For others, the configuration of their environment just doesn't allow for a WS, HD set. Many are smartly choosing 4:3 to avoid burn-in, since what they like to watch is still in sd.

The HT world is not as black & white as you seem to think. There's room for everyone and everyone's choices. Going 4:3 is neither ignorant nor "behind the times," it's simply a choice. Try to tell someone who owns a 36" HD XBR set that they've mad a bad choice.

justsc,

I just did a Titan search of HD in your area and the majority Primetime network shows are in HD.

I curious what Primetime shows you watch that are not in HD.

ABC

MON 3of3

TUE 3of3

WED 1of3

THR 0of 3 (reality show night)

FRI 2of 3 hr are hd

SAT 3of3

SUN 2of3

14 of 21 primetime hours are in HD for a network that you claimed was "missing the boat" in the HD department.

66% of shows in HD during the summer when regular shows are not shown.

Still think that there is very little?

I'm not trying to be rude just want people to know there is alot of HD out there.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes but if you don't watch prime time, it's a relatively small % of HD programming. For one program, I would have liked to watch Live8 in HD, but no, it was on cable. One network even rebroadcast highlights and I think it was stil in SD.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
what channels are you waiting for? genre?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgates
justsc,

I just did a Titan search of HD in your area and the majority Primetime network shows are in HD.

I curious what Primetime shows you watch that are not in HD.

ABC

MON 3of3

TUE 3of3

WED 1of3

THR 0of 3 (reality show night)

FRI 2of 3 hr are hd

SAT 3of3

SUN 2of3

14 of 21 primetime hours are in HD for a network that you claimed was "missing the boat" in the HD department.

66% of shows in HD during the summer when regular shows are not shown.

Still think that there is very little?

I'm not trying to be rude just want people to know there is alot of HD out there.
No doubt, there is more and more hd material coming on line, and as far as I'm concerned, it can't come fast enough. As much as I like a good commentary, it get a little old watching some of the stuff on INHD and Discovery HD Theater.

I'm not trying to be rude either, and if I came off that way I appologize. Blanket statements rub me the wrong way, like what you were saying about folks buying 4:3 sets. For me, it was a no brainer - go WS, HD, as big as I could afford. But it's just not the same for everyone, and choosing a 4:3 set at this point isn't a poor choice. 5 years from now - yes, I'd say at that time it would be a poor choice.

Cheers! ;)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
actually I didn't say anything about 4:3 sets, that was another poster. All I have mentioned is that there is alot of HD material.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgates
actually I didn't say anything about 4:3 sets, that was another poster. All I have mentioned is that there is alot of HD material.
Oops! My bad. :confused:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
No matter which you choose, you will be watching a mix of both 4x3 and 16x9 material for years to come. A standard screen will have the largest picture when you have the crummiest signal, where a widescreen will have largest picture when you have the best signal. That's a solid reason to go for widescreen IMHO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.