AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey guys, I'm new to posting here but have always used this as a good source for AV help.  I currently have 2 ATV3s and a Media Server running windows.  On the media server, I have my videos that I usually stream to my Home Theater setup using either an app on my iPad (AirVideoHD) with AirPlay to the ATV, or I will load the video into iTunes on the media server and use Home Sharing on my ATV to watch the video.  The videos are in the m4v format that ATV likes and are just SD videos that are not that large, however, I can hardly ever get them to AirPlay to the ATV and the iTunes Home Sharing doesn't seem to work either.  I will reset the ATV and try again, and it might work for a but, but it will then lose connection and stop playing and I will have to reset the ATV a few times and then it might work again.  I will say that the ATVs are setup wirelessly, so I expect to get a little delay when trying to start a movie, but I can watch the same file wirelessly on my iPad through iTunes Home Sharing with no problems at all.

So now to my question.  Are there network configurations I can make on my router to let the ATV pass through easier?  I have a Dual Band Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router and the ATVs are connected to the 5ghz network.  I have read where there are some ports that you might can forward that helps ATVs, but I saw where they can sometimes overlap with other stuff, so I was hesitant to use them.

I also wanted to note that I have many gaming systems that are connected with an ethernet cable to the router and some ports and settings setup for those such as Udp for Xbox One and port forwarding for Xbox Live on the router.  Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I would suggest changing the format of those files to Apple friendly format such as M4V. I would suggest using Handbrake, which is free. This program can change the format of your file to something that will work with ATV's, which in turn will work with your XBOX . I used to do this before, and it was a PIA. If you want something easier, I would get either a Roku or Sony GS7 / GS8 media player and use the Plex Server / App to stream your media.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the suggestion.  The files are already in the m4v format, good call on the Handbrake, thats what I already use.  I have heard a lot about Plex and Roku and have toyed with the option of switching, but I already have the 2 ATVs and I would only be able to set up the Rokus wirelessly as well, so I worry that I will experience many of the same performance issues.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wire the ATV's. If your game consoles are wired and you're out of ports just get a dumb switch. As for wireless, use inssider and move your wireless to the least congested channel.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I would definitely use a hardline rather than wireless if at all possible. Also, I would check out Plex Media Server ( https://plex.tv/ ) and PlexConnect ( https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/forum/136-appletv-plexconnect/ ). Plex is really designed for this kind of stuff. Streaming the videos to your iPad and then using Airplay to send them to your ATV just seems ridiculous, and you are likely to have all sorts of hiccups streaming video this way. With Plex, the media will be streamed directly from your media server to the ATV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts