AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just a quick and dirty observation which is meant to possibly generate some nice conversations on formats, sources, bs and who knows what.

I just thought I'd do a quick experiment to compare two sources: blu-ray via my PS3 and the Apple TV HD. I used the movie ironman2.

So I rented it both on b/r and on the apple tv (hd version of course) and started them at the same time so that I could switch from one to the other on the fly via my receiver.

For display I use a Sony VW60 (I think it's called black pearl ?!).

Well, the Apple TV, which I believe is 720p, was significantly better than the blu-ray dvd. The image was dramatically different I should say first and foremost and then I myself preferred by far the AppleTV: better contrast, deeper black.

I would not comment more. This was a quick experiment and for now I wanted to see what comments you guys might have on this, if any. I do intend, as a follow up, to do more of these, probably a bit more carefully with more varied content.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Don't see how the aTV could possibly beat the PS3 for hi-def playback. How are you connecting the PS3 to the TV? HDMI or composite (yellow-white-red)? In any event, you should connect both devices to your Sony TV using HDMI, then do your comparisons. If you don't have HDMI cables, you can use Component connections instead (red-green-blue). And is the VW60 a projector?

BTW, I didn't know Iron Man 2 was out yet; it's probably 18 months away.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry ! I meant HellBoy 2

And yes, I use HDMI only for my connections.

And yes, to my eyes, the 720p from the AppleTV looked better (which does not mean that it was better!).

I have heard many times before that once you are beyond a certain distance from the screen it's hard to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

But I would guess that here it was not so much a matter of mere "resolution", rather a matter of overall image quality...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I have mentioned earlier, I will do more of these experiments. Certainly something this w/e. The more I watch blu-rays the more I think it's more bs than anything else (there are some exceptions, of course).

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I will agree as for VOD the Apple TV looks the best so far but my blu-ray player is

better than my Apple TV for picture quality.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone take a look at Apple Support on Apple Tv?

I was just there with my issue, simple as it was, but there are hundreds of issues.

Like complete loss of data for no reason, files wiped clean, etc, to etc.

Anyone want one that's never been used.

That's as far as I got with mine. With wireless that it cannot see, it never

got past that menu option.

I don't see the point of dealing with it.

I was under the impression it could be wired to laptop to load for tunes and images, and movies from where ever to play on the just installed Tv's that can now be connected to it for the first time last week.

I have the smaller hard drive of Apple Tv, probably still have the box it came in.

I'd simply prefer a hard drive with all data that can move in any direction at will.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philscbx /forum/post/15635401

Anyone take a look at Apple Support on Apple Tv?

I was just there with my issue, simple as it was, but there are hundreds of issues.

Like complete loss of data for no reason, files wiped clean, etc, to etc.

Anyone want one that's never been used.

That's as far as I got with mine. With wireless that it cannot see, it never

got past that menu option.

I don't see the point of dealing with it.

I was under the impression it could be wired to laptop to load for tunes and images, and movies from where ever to play on the just installed Tv's that can now be connected to it for the first time last week.

I have the smaller hard drive of Apple Tv, probably still have the box it came in.

I'd simply prefer a hard drive with all data that can move in any direction at will.

Cheers

I would at least try it mine has worked from day one no loss of any picture,

music,podcast,movie or saved you tube of course with all electronics they

can fail out of the box or years down the road. I never trust some sites because some people hate Apple period they are also allowed to post just a

thought to ponder may want to read more in the AVS where I put more faith.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I can't help but wonder - did you adjust your tv for both? That is - pick a good scene and make adjustment for the ATV and then another adjustment for the PS3?

On a 37" 720p tv here I have played

ATV HD movie

PS3 Blu Ray

PS3 streamed m2ts file from Blu Ray

All of them played very well and most would be happy with either on this tv. However on the 50" 1080p plasma, the PS3 disc play and streamed m2ts file beat out the ATV and it was quite evident.

So does the PS3 "win" ?? Not really, it depends on your TV and adjustments. If I used exclusively a 720p LCD TV, I think that both might be fine. For 1080p, with proper setting adjustments, the PS3 will do better. Let's also not forget it also depends on the particular film and disc.

- Phrehdd

·
Registered
167 Posts
mini > ps3 > atv

ATV had tears playing x264 in xbmc and couldn't handle all 720p bitrates.

These are all sortof different animals Each one does its own job. PS3 for video games and bluray, mini for hight bitrate x264 stuff and recording live tv, and well, atv... for I dunno, havent really found a great use for it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have done pretty extensive testing with blue rays versus appletv via HDMI to a 42" panny plasma. The Blue ray is the best in terms of picture quality compared to a converted 1080 p mkv movie on the appletv. I judge this to be around 10-20% in terms of brightness and colors.

This doesn't come with a compromise however.. physical media, waiting for the FBI screen and other previews and then navigating through some stupid blue-ray menu just to get the movie to start, if one person is watching the movie then the other person can't unless of course you had two copies of the movie, costs (15-30 dollars per movie!!), blue ray players lack the music playback of appletv, no youtube, no podcasts, and no itunes store.. gotta have that.

So I made the compromise and stuck with appletv despite the 10-20% reduction in PQ. Anyway, I heard pink-ray is right around the corner.

Mo

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 /forum/post/15771235

mini > ps3 > atv

ATV had tears playing x264 in xbmc and couldn't handle all 720p bitrates.

These are all sortof different animals Each one does its own job. PS3 for video games and bluray, mini for hight bitrate x264 stuff and recording live tv, and well, atv... for I dunno, havent really found a great use for it.

I guess we see this a tad differently.

PS3 will play blu ray native, various h.264 files very well and M2TS files that are H.264 or simple MPEG. The failure of PS3 is it is unable to play VC-1 files (just the discs themselves). This is a deal breaker for me for archiving my Blu Rays and depending on the PS3. On the other hand, since people here seem to not mind compressing blu rays, there are various tools to convert VC-1 over to H.264. So, if one is willing to do this to stream to PS3, they have their cake and eat it too AND it will certainly be better than ATV.

I think I'll probably keep PS3 for Disc play and Mac Mini dual boot - XBMC on Linux and Plex on OSX and continue my quest for best of all worlds.

- Phrehdd

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I continue to believe that BR is in general the greatest B/S; there are a few, rare exceptions, but that is all they are.

It's some marketing invention that allows incremental sales on existing stuff, primarily. New stuff does not matter evidently. Just like hdmi 1.4 (I don't know this, honestly, just guessing though
).

Fine with me, but lets be serious.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves /forum/post/17683807

I continue to believe that BR is in general the greatest B/S; there are a few, rare exceptions, but that is all they are.

It's some marketing invention that allows incremental sales on existing stuff, primarily. New stuff does not matter evidently. Just like hdmi 1.4 (I don't know this, honestly, just guessing though
).

Fine with me, but lets be serious.

I find that Blu Ray was a nice way to package hi def but the cost is way to high. I am no even referring to the cost of the disc. In the past, companies tried to block copying CDs, failed miserably at protecting DVDs so this time they "got it right" so to speak by forcing hardware to expect the protection crap. Luckily, this can all be bypassed by archiving your collection on a computer hard drive or converting.

As for HDMI, its part of the nasty scheme to force customers to comply with with the blu ray/movie provider gang. Apple's displayport (even in this incarnation) can technically handle all that hi def data on blu rays now including audio. Apple elected NOT to pass through audio and thus protect its ATV and also not piss off the "screw the customer" alliance (yet).

Just on a side note, the biggest rip off to is "hi def" movies via cable. These are over compressed media files and are lacking. I would rather have a good 720p movie than a terribly compressed 1080i movie. How does one compare a 6 gig 720p with a 1.9 gig version? - You can't. So the consumer continues to eat up this "wow" hype for streaming from Netflix and Amazon and yes, Apple.

I'll be very happy when someone can make a workaround for the displayport on OSX or someone in the linux world figures a way to engage it and then never worry about HDMI crap.

- Phrehdd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts