AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to setup a reasonable quality system to stream music from my iPad through an Airport Express or Apple TV (preferred) in a medium-sized room. My original instinct was to go with a Peachtree Decco2 with D4s or D5s, in part because I believe that conventional wisdom suggets bypassing Airport Express's analog output. Upon further reflection I wanted to see if I could do better than Peachtree for the $$$, or get a roughly equivalent setup for less. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but I am finding that although there are plenty of good amps out there (I kind of focused on Music Hall A15.2), there are virtually no amps that offer a built-in DAC. Given the pricing of stand-alone DACs, I am kind of back to my original Decco2 idea. So I am wondering if I should a) get the A15.2 (any other suggestions in the ~$500-range?) and use Airport Express's internal DAC, or b) just get the Decco2? This question basically comese down to how good (bad?) Apple's internal DAC is and whether using a different DAC would have an actually noticeable effect on sound quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.