AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently replaced all of my audio equipment.

New stuff is:

Pioneer VSX-23

Klipsch RF83, RC62, RS42

I am very pleased with the new stuff especially when I am listening to music, but in side by side comparison the old speakers go lower which can be heard and especially felt when listening to movies.

While the sound quality and clarity of the new speakers is very impressive to me, I do miss the extra vibrations the old speakers were able to serve up for the movies.

The house is like most that have been built in the last 20 years with all the spaces open and adjoining to each other.

My living room is aprox 4500cf adjoining to aprox 4000 cf of other open space.

Since I have never had a sub I don't think I need a SPL monster.

Plus the RF83 speakers have revealed that there is a lot of different sounds in the low frequencies they do reproduce so I will appreciate a sub that is also capable of producing intricate detailed sounds more than one that just plays loud.

My question is are the lower priced subs like the ED A2-300 or HSU STF-2 a good match for the Klipsch RF83s that will carry the detailed sounds into the lower ranges or do I need to go higher up the sub food chain to get that ?

If I need to go higher, how much higher for both ED and HSU ?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
You need to get something a lot bigger than the subs you mentioned to keep up with speakers as powerful as the RF-83's. Neither of those subs will be doing a lot that the 83's can't do on their own, anyway. With those towers, I wouldn't get anything less than a ED A3-300 or a Hsu VTF2 mk3, and that would only be reporducing frequencies those towers won't be doing anyway- that isn't talking about pressurizing your enormous space. I would get something more capable, for that kind of room, and probably two of them. Two Epik Empires or two VTF3's would go a lot further. Anyway, you say you don't want a SPL monster sub, but you have SPL monster speakers! I say get a sub that matches those speakers, and such a sub won't be an entry level one.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you shadyJ.

Your comment about the ED A3-300 and the HSU VTF MK2 only reproducing the low frequencies the RF83s don't cover and not pressurizing the space is interesting.

Maybe that is what I want.

The old 70's era speakers are 3-way speakers with a 12" woofer and they gave enough low frequency output to feel when the monster breaks something or the spaceship explodes.

The RF83s sound better across the board but in a side by side listening comparison they don't go as low in frequency as the old speakers.

While my OCD is focused on my audio system right now, this is not an ongoing hobby for me, I try to buy the right stuff the first time (without breaking the bank) and enjoy it for many years.

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for, thanks again.

Does anyone else have a differing opinion or did shadyJ nail it on the head.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't want to go with two subs.

Even though I understand placement can be everything, there are only two possible locations in my room to accomodate a sub.

One of those is between a chest of drawers and the left RF83 and has no wiggle room.

The other is in a corner closer to the seating and has 12" maybe 18" of flexibility in two directions.

Per shadyJ's recommendation, I have been looking at the Epik Empire.

Even though this is a brand new product, I have reasonable faith that the Empire will be a good product.

Current pricing puts it just over $900 to the door.

If that is the amount I need to spend (or more) to get something to match my other speakers that is OK.

At this price point the ED subs to consider are the A5-350 and A7S-450 which are $800 and $850 to the door.

The HSU VTF-3 MK3 was also suggested and would be $730 to the door.

The Epik and the HSU have side-firing drivers and the HSU is rear ported so I think I would be limited to the corner location with both of these.

The corner is probably best, but the front location between the chest and the speaker is more desirable for room functionality.

The ED subs have a front firing driver and front ports so they at least appear to be more placement friendly.

If anyone would care to discuss any distinct advantages or disadvantages of these three choices I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got an Empire a week ago to go with my RF7s and RC7 (running an Emotiva XPA3, 200W per channel to the front 3). Very happy with the performance and it matches the RF7s well. I've only listened to music so far and the Empire is very tight. At $919 delivered, it seems hard to beat.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you are only wanting a single, get the SVS PB-13 Ultra. I dont think a single Empire will adequately fill the room. To a lot of people, the PB-13 Ultra will not either, I'm guess that it will moreso than the Empire. It will probably have a bit better low end (

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply.

The things that concern me about adding a sub are:

Having to mess with it in an ongoing fashion and calibration / room placement.

I have read so much about placement and how critical it is that I am concerned about my placement options being limited to two locations.

Having said that, the same spiel is given for regular speaker placement and I have never given that argument too much creditability. It probably does matter but when there is one placement option the choice is to either put speakers there or not have speakers it makes the decision pretty easy to me.

I am not so sure about applying the theory of just put it there anyway or not have one to a sub though; it might be better to be sub-less than to have one placed where it only thumps and booms throughout the house.

The subs I have been able to listen to are the Polk (many models), JBL, Velodyne (many models), and Martin Logan (several models) that Frys and Best Buy carries.

It may just be the environment, but I have not been exactly overwhelmed with enthusiasm to buy one of these products.

I have also heard Klipsch, B&W, Dali, and Paradigm when I was shopping for speakers.

There were others but when the price goes too high I have extreme short-term memory issues.

The B&W sub they had in the 800 series room (don't know the model, it cost a small fortune) was well integrated and the sound flowed smoothly between the speakers and the sub. This is the best sounding sub / speaker combination I have heard.

I could not tell there was a subwoofer playing until it was turned off.

This seamless integration greatly appealed to me, and this is the type of sound I am interested in. Wifey liked this setup as well as I did, but we went with the less expensive Klipsch speakers sans subwoofer.

The Klipsch sub may have had the potential to sound good but the salesman was only interested in making it slam our rears and would not leave the level turned to what I thought was appropriate, it was either off or it was too loud and forceful.

The Dali sub sounded good to me, but the salesman adjusted the sub level every time the source material was changed so it would blend with the speakers. I asked about that and was told that is just part of having a sub. I am not interested in messing with it once it is in place and level matched with test tones.

Finally, yes the SVS PB-13 is doable and since there really is no criticism of it on any front, I have thought about just getting it.

But I like saving money as much as anyone else (maybe more since my brother claims he can actually hear my wallet squeak every time I open it).

Sorry for the long post, it sorta just got away from me.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
chashint -- You have around 8,500 cu ft to pressurize. You are not going to find any sub-woofer under $1000 that will do the job that your RRF83's would require (IMHO anyway). That is going to be a real challenge for any single sub-woofer. The SVS PB13-Ultra probably would come close, but it is a very large speaker box, and may not fit your space. Their PC13-Ultra is a cylinder sub with very close to the same performance as the PB13-Ultra, but it has a much smaller footprint (go to the SVS web site: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm )

Going up in price (about $700 more than the PC13-Ultra), the Seaton SubMersive ( http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post?id=3364736 ) is the best you can get for the buck, but even that one is going to be on the "light" side for the volume of your connected rooms. The SubMersive is smaller than the SVS PB13-Ultra, also. The AVS thread is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=759877 . The advantage of the Seaton is that it is a sealed sub-woofer with 2, opposing, 15" drivers. This means that it has a smoother response profile, IMHO.

Both SVS and Seaton are ID manufacturers and their products are available only direct from the factory.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for taking the time yo post.

I am looking at all of the suggested options.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.