AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading my CB2 with 2 sets of 3 channel superior dacs.

My current setup is standard 3 channel for front lft,cnt,rht, and 6 channel standard for lft sur,rght sur, cnt sur, sub.

The superior dacs are configured front lft,cnt, rght, and sur lft, sur rht, and sub.

So at the end of the day my CB2 will be configured as follows:

Superior dacs front lft,cnt, rght- sur lft,rht, sub

Standard dac side left, side rght, center surround(6channel board already configured)

What would be a fair charge to do the installation and programming for the new dacs from a Theta dealer?

LJG

·
Registered
21,422 Posts
Here's what you do.

1. Serial number of Casablanca units from which the Superior DACs came.

2. Serial number of your CB2.

3. Call Theta (phone number at their website) and talk to Administration. Tell her your an AVS Forum member and luv your CB2. Tell her what your doing. Give her the two serial numbers above.

Ask her to have Mary Cardas get back with you regarding the following:

a. Does your CB2 require any RAM memory for the upgrade? If yes, then you must send the CB2 to Theta, through your dealer, and pay what they charge you. Odds are likely that RAM memory won't be required.

b. If no RAM memory is required, it actually is a simple matter of about an hour or two at most to put the CB2 on the test bench, unscrew all screws from exterior, take off cover, unscrew several screws holding the L-shaped aluminum bars over the cards,remove L-shaped aluminum bars, then remove screws from back holding the three DAC cards and remove the cards, then insert the two Superior DAC cards in the first two slots and put back the screws, then put the Standard DAC card in the third and last slot and put back the screws.

Be sure to be grounded and don't discharge any static or you could blow a card.

3. And also ask Admin to ask Mary if a software upgrade is necessary. Probably not. If so, then this could take another hour or two.

4. After new DAC cards all in, prior to any software upgrade if that is required, you must push the right buttons on the front so you can program the speakers per each DAC card. Its a simple process and Theta has a one page handout given to dealers and reviewers telling you what to push and do. You must do this prior to downloading new software if required.

To the extent that your dealer does it, heck, wouldn't a dealer be warranted to charge $50 to $80 per hour at minimum?

The software upgrade process is now simple for me, but easy to screw up, so best for dealer to do that for you.

If no RAM memory or software upgrade necessary, you may want to consider physically replacing the DAC cards yourself. But it your assumption of risk in doing so.

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve:

Outstanding reply

First off I guess my question should have been how many hours labor are involved in installing and programing the superior dacs, or what would be a fair flat rate.

I already emailed theta with my serial # and the serail # of the CB2 the dacs came from- No requirement for Ram memory.

No software update required either.

My dealer gave me a price I am embarrased to print- I think I might be looking for a new dealer.

Before I blow a gasket I just wanted to make sure

So steve or any dealer out there how many hours would this take and what would be a fair flat rate.

LJG

·
Registered
21,422 Posts
To be honest, there ain't no dealers that will be happy when you buy a used DAC card and then want them to install it, they'll all charge you an arm and leg!!!! And I guarentee no other dealer will likely want to touch a CB2 serviced by another dealer.

I think you should negotiate with your dealer and let him know that you are the customer and you deserve the benefit of the doubt. And I would think $150 for the dealer to do the physical work for the changeout would be more than fair, provided that no RAM is needed and no software upgrade is necessary. And let your dealer know if you feel he/she is treating you unfairly, just because you purchased used Superior DAC cards, that you will let us all know, and Theta as well, here on the forum. Your dealer has a right to charge for his/her time. But assuming no physical RAM and no software upgrade, it won't be that hard to timely at all. Heck, if your dealer knows what he/she is doing, this should be a fairly simple matter as no adding physical RAM or software upgrade is involved.

If you decide to assume the risk yourself, then you swap out the DAC cards like I described above, and I will then advise what buttons to push in sequence on the front panel to program the DACs.

It would be better to have the dealer do it to avoid Murphy's Law. And of course Theta doesn't sanction, they can't sanction, folks opening up their own units.

·
Registered
21,422 Posts
You're easy to fool!!!

Seriously, the Casablanca 2 is a heavy motha! you don't want to ship it unnecessarily, both the expense and possibility of Murphy's Law and damage in transit you don't want to take, especially when its something not covered by warranty or regular servicing. So seriously your local dealer should help you for a reasonable fee per time spent. That's that! Theta knew when it marketed the Xtreme Cards that some Superior DAC cards would be sold to upgrade to Xtreme, and that some good customers like you would be buying them - so long as the dealer is paid fairly, they should take care of you. But if the dealer tries to hold you up by charging way too much, shame on the dealer.

I say the dealer should charge you say a flat $150, provided all that's needed is swap out the DACs and hit the front panel buttons to program the DAC cards for each channel. If software upgrade is needed, or if some bug develops in how the CB2 works due to the DAC card swap (always a possibility, for this is a behometh surround processor/computer, then the dealer should add $75 per hour for time.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.