AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a media player/streamer is going to come out that allows apps from the android or iPod market? My reason for asking is because with the ability to stream movies to your phone off your computer it would be nice to be able to do this off a media player not on your home network. The dream would be if I rip my movies and store them on my computer they can be watched by my parents at their house..is there anything out there where this is possible?

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
This appears to be where GoogleTV 2.0 is headed. Boxee, Roku, etc. already have apps, but not from Android Marketplace or iTunes, rather native Boxee or Roku apps. Re: ripping your movies and storing them on your computer that can be watched by your parents at their house, you can do that now with a home server & Slingbox. And, Boxee Box is expected to support Slingbox soon. There are probably other options that others here can offer.

·
Registered
858 Posts
MeeGoTV is another option but very long term, it is still largely in development but MeeGo OS is being designed not just for smartphones/tablets but TV and set top boxes as well.

Intel is putting a lot of effort into MeeGo on it's CE4xxx chipsets.

But Google is the closest short term and no-one really knows with Apple, I think iOS5 display mirroring is their answer to this.

Another option for viewing files remotely is;

* Get NAS with with WebDAV support.

* Get AppleTV2, jailbreak and install XBMC.

* Add WebDAV media source in XBMC and play your files over the net.

Of course your internet speed is a potential bottleneck here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts