Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://www.ce.org/press_room/press_r...il.asp?id=9949

CEA reports that April 2002 factory to dealer sales of DTV equipped TVs increased 134% compared to last year.

I would guess that the May 2002 rollout deadline had something to do with this. Even with number of exceptions granted by the FCC, there was enough new activity in DTV for an up swing in consumer recognition in DTV and HDTV.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The numbers are OK, but I don't think they are really all that great. I know April is historically a slow month for TV sales and sales did more than double last year, but these are the lowest monthly sales numbers since last July. I thought that with all the new HDTV content and all the press HDTV had received in April (heading into the May 1st deadline) things would have been even better. I guess they weren't all that bad, though.

I hope things pick up drastically later in the year. I think they will.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Pray for some NFL, because if you want large sales between now and then, thats the major item to do it.

Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments Rich. CEA doesn't have a yearly summary available to us non-paying browsers, so I couldn't really compare the figures to other months. They percentage increase sound very good. I have heard 2 million sets is the total for DTV products already sold from day-one, and if CEA projections in that report could be believed, they expect 2 million sold this year, doubling that number. They are claiming these numbers look better than DVDs at the same time in their introduction. I'm wondering when we see HDTV reach critical mass?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Basically it'll reach critical mass once it becomes plug and play like regular tv is via cable for example. Like a DVD player is now that they cost only 100.00.

Or for the folks that use OTA only, when even if they have a nice tv set and some sort of antenna, wont have to still buy a 500.00 box to be able to see H/DTV signals.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Here are CEA's sales-to-dealers numbers of DTV product for the last several months:

May 84K

Jun 91K

Jul 118K

Aug 138K

Sept 148K

Oct 187K

Nov 196K

Dec ?

Total 1.4 million

Jan 149K

Feb 134K

Mar 148K