AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting into hometheaters and would like to go with a CRT. I already have a topend HTPC (just needs some software tweaking), so I wouldn't need that. I have my receiver, and dvd player also. So, where should I start? Any help would be great. Also, should this setup be used for DVD only, or is it ok for Dish and regular cable also?

Thanks..

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
You could look at used/b-stock NEC, Barco and Electrohome projectors. They tend to offer the best band for the buck and often you can find them in the $2k-$3k pricerange. I should be getting a batch of some used projectors in in the next month for great prices. Drop me an email and we can discuss.

Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You may also want to look at a used Sony 12xx series. A 1271 or 1272 can be had for around $2K with low hours. These have a nice picture and according to others on the forum are easy to setup. I have a 1271 myself that I'm happy with.

- Brian

·
Registered
47 Posts
For under $2000 USD, I was able to start off with a used E-home Marquee 8K with about 800 hours on it, and a used ISCAN V2 doubler (understanding it was an entry point). I homebuilt a 100" screen following the directions in this forum for about another $80. I homebuilt a ceiling mount for about another $60 again following information here (& it is still up there!).

Since already you have an HTPC, you should be able to get something quite good within your price range.

I have been very pleased to date with my E-home, but sometimes it is almost a religious battle about projector types, so let your eyes, personal preference, common sense (considering track record, service, etc), and pocket book be the guide. :)

I would recommend that you search the various forums on what to get and look out for in a used PJ. Also note the cautions regarding e-bay. I got mine there, but you have to be particularly careful. As well, once you have homed in on a particular PJ type - the group here can tell you more specifically what to watch out for or consider as part of the deal, and also great tips once you do get it.

It is always better if you can arrange to go with information in hand to inspect the unit before closing the deal as opposed to buying sight unseen. The exception to this rule would be if you are buying from any of several of the very qualified and trustworthy people who frequent this forum. There again, you will quickly see who they are if you read a bit.

This forum is a Godsend to newbies like myself and others.....!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.