AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching this now. This one surprised me- 5.1DD and filmed in 1990. Looks great too.

What About Bob was on yesterday and also looked great- nice to see some older films (older than 10yrs) on HBO in HD.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I missed the beginning of both movies, but have been checking them out. They're probably not OAR, but the DVDs had mediocre non-anamorphic transfers so I'm looking forward to checking them out later in the month.

Dennis

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
And mis-framed, like the BACK TO THE FUTURE DVD's, cropping the bottom, while adding at the top. It made for some ruined scenes.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The frame was lowered and raised from time to time, by mistake, so that the bottom of the screen was cut off at times, and other times it was the top. Look at the scene where they inject some type of rat with the spider venom and place it in a jar where it promptly dies. You cannot even see the rat. It's cropped. That is not correct.

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that's intentional- so they avoid showing that they would actually kill an animal for the movie.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No, it is not intentional. The shot of the animal dying (which was a prop) is part of the film and not seeing that part of the image ruins that scene. You have no idea what is happening. Looking at the LD, it's clear that the scene is mis-framed on the HBO transfer (as is most of the film).

·
Registered
18,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, you're one up on me, as the only other way I've seen it is 4x3. That particular pan looked intentional- maybe cesnorship on HBO's part. Otherwise I didn't notice any other panning and it all looked OK.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The frame was misaligned before the pan. I noticed quite a few more shots that were wrong (way too much head room). Hopefully this is an isolated case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.