AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to build myself a HT system and was considering the following amplifier and processor setup:

Aragon Stage One Processor

Aragon 3005 Amplifier

Aragon 3002 Amplifier

What do you guys think? Ive allocated a max of $10,000 for amps and the processor, so in that budget bracket, what other brands/setups should I be considering? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just heard that set up with a Klipsch Reference 7 series all the way around and it was totally clear and awesome. I would highly recommend that setup. I have the Klipsch speaker package already and will be getting the Aragon setup next. No doubt about that. But I might just go with the Stage One and the 2007 amp. My setup now is a Pioneer Elite THX ultra and its 120w channel and it cranks. I think 200w will be enough for me. What is your speaker setup? What color Aragon are you going with? I saw the black but the silver with the blue lights might look cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Naturally, you should audition as many setups as you can YOURSELF.

I'll just share my thoughts:

I've recently had a chance to audition the Stage One, and truthfully, wasn't overly impressed.

Everything sounded cramped, separation was quite bad, and the mid was really bloated.

I compared it to my current pre/pro, the EAD Ovation, the Meridian 568.2MM, and NAD S170.

I'd say it's as good as the NAD (but better looking and much more user friendly), but it doesn't even come close to EAD or Meridian.

As for power amps, I'd get good clean cheap ones myself - I don't think there's a real need to match the pre/pro.

Of course, if you have the $$$ it's better, but if you have budgetary restraints..

Are you comfortable with used gear?

What features are a must for you? 7.1? 5.1 analog inputs? DTS-ES? DPL-II?

·
Registered
156 Posts
For 10K you can probably do better. I am in the same search as you are. Read my thread, "Is Lexicon's really worth breaking my budget?". Although one thing appealing to me about the aragons is it does bass management in the analog realm for 2ch analog which might make it above average as a surround pre/pro for 2 channel stereo if that's important to you. I'm thinking about the Aragons myself but if I was comfortable spending 10K, I'd probably have my sights set higher.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have had the Stage One for about 4 weeks. Before that I had a used Aragon Soundstage (loved it) for 6 weeks, a Lexicon MC1 for 15 months before that, and an Onkyo 989 for 9 months before the MC1. All are very good processors. I am very happy with the Stage One for DVDs, DSS, and CDs. 5.1 DVD-A sounds great too.

IMO, the new Aragon amps are a little pricey. The 200X series are probably rebadged Acurus amps, and the 300X are ? The only true carryover from the classic aragon line are the new Palladium monos and 8008BB.

At 6K for a prepro, I'd look at the MC8 and Meridian 568v2. If you want to spend less, ~ 3k, the Stage One, among other fine 3-4k prepros would be a good choice. You can spend less than 3-4k to get 7 good amp channels; even less if you shop used.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Gaucho:

All you will get here are opinions with no idea of how closely the priorities of those offering them match up with your own needs. Here goes anyway;

Aragon 3000 series amps are replacements for the multi-channel Aragon amps while the 2000 series are replacements for the Acurus amps. Whether or not you think they are pricey depends on what you compare them to.

What are currently marketed as Aragon Classic amps had been top rated by several high end magazines. They are excellent designs providing unusually stable power under very demanding loads. They run hot as all class A designs do. They really crank and don't break a sweat. They are musical but do better with a speaker that isn't too hot. The clarity, detail, soundstage and air (sorry to those of you who hate these terms) can really make the proper speakers perform. I think the amps are Aragon's best products. I am not totally impartial about this as I have their 8008BB, 8008x3 and 8008x5. But I have not heard anything else near their price that made me want to rush out and replace them.

I have owned the Soundstage from just shortly after it's release. I think it is a very good 2nd tier product but not up to the level of the very best processors out there. It is appropriately priced. If you could score a deal on a TAG, Arcam or Meridian you might be happier.

With all the hype lately about the Parasound Halo line it looks like you should check that out as well.

Good luck!

BP

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've had an Aragon 2004 for about 14 years (whoa- where has the time gone...), and still love it. I have added a 2004MKII and 8008x3B as well over the past couple years to drive a 7.1 setup (8008 fronts, 2002s side and rear). I have it set up with an Anthem AVM20 driving them, which has worked out well as far as my ears can tell.

The Soundstage wasn't out at the time, so I wasn't able to compare - still haven't. I'm happy right now and don't want to know if I shouldn't be. :)

In terms of the amps, I know they sound better than the Denon receiver I had for the HT a few years back. I made the mistake of bringing my 'old' Aragon down from the living room stero to compare to the Denon internal amps one day in the HT, and it ended up costing me several grand to fix it! To me it was night and day - better imaging, smoother sound, tighter bass. Why I had to compare...

-Step

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.