Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know that Palladium, Palladium mkII and 1K are all 400wpc monoblocks. Is there any difference between them at all or one is superior to the other sonically.

There are a couple of those at Audiogon and I am under terrible temptation to get one of them but not sure if all of them are similar.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,

-dollarman

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've been eyeing the 1K's, but can't seem to get the better half on my side :)

Following from a thread at Klipsch (owners of Aragon) forums:

"The original Palladiums were based on the 4004 design--16 metal case output transistors, etc. 100 CLASS A watts into 8 ohms, about 400 watts class A/B into 8 ohms. More A/B watts into 4 ohms.

The Palladium II was based on the 8008BB design--24 plastic case output transistors, more "sturdy" and expensive-looking chassis. 125 (?) CLASS A watts into 8, and 400 A/B into 8 ohms. More A/B watts into 4 ohms.

The newer Palladium 1K is the Palladium II with new styling similar to the Stage One."

And following is amplification from Steve Donaldson, moderator there:

"As Schurkey noted, the original Palladiums was based on the design of the 4004.

The Palladium II was based on the design of the 8008. Yes, this is indicated by the beveled front panel, as well as the section where the notch is located. On the Palladium II, this area is all heat sink. On the original it is merely a vent.

The original Palladiums required a true balanced preamplifier for proper operation. They had balanced inputs only.

The Palladium II came balanced or single ended.

The difference is whether your preamp is balanced our single ended. Outside of the inherent increase in gain for the balanced version, the Palladium II's were identical.

The Palladium 1k is IDENTICAL to the Palladium II outside of the cosmetic differences."

If you read more into the forums, looks like the future of Aragon is unclear. No scheduled new models planned for as of now. :(

But great equipment, indeed.

Christian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.