AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Sony KDL-W850B hooked up to an Integra DTR-20.3.
Both say they support ARC, and I can get them to the point where the TV remove adjusts the amplifier volume.
However, no matter what I try, I can't seem to get the TV audio coming out through the speakers wired to the amp.

I have the following settings set on the amp:

HDMI control channel: on
Audio return channel: auto
Audio selector: ARC

From the TV, I can see the amplifier in the list of detected supported devices. The amplifier is displaying the HDMI symbol, but there's just no sound.
I have the TV sound configured to output through 'Audio System'.

Does anyone have the same or a similar set up? Any suggestions on what I can do to get my sound going?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response,

I've verified that all of the 'Bravia sync' options are turned on, including being able to turn the amp on when the TV comes on. The TV will even set the amp to the TV mode when it comes on.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Just to be sure. The very reason I disable ARC is I use a remote that turns units on and off and I don't want my avr set to "tv" like my system insisted on doing (but more I just don't use any audio sourced from my tv any more). You might try unplugging tv/avr for soft resets or reconnecting hdmi to see if its a mild hdmi handshake issue otherwise no great ideas but to suggest just connect an optical cable since its as capable as the ARC hdmi is.....Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried unplugging the hdmi, turning off the receiver and the TV (at the wall, not just via the power button), and then turning them on in various orders.
Still no joy.

It's a little hard to try different HDMI cables at this point as the HDMI runs through the wall; even if that was the problem, I'd not be able to replace it.

I'm starting to thing that perhaps going for an HDMI -> Optical cable at the amplifier end might be worth considering?
Something like this:
monoprice (dot) com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
or this:
monoprice (dot) com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2

(Sorry for the URLs, I can't post links until I've made 5 or more posts...)

Of course, I'd really like to still be able to control the volume of the receiver from the TV remote; I guess that's the HDMI-CEC part that I need to keep working.

So, I either find a way to get the HDMI-CEC & HDMI-ARC working, or I use a box like one of the two linked ones to split the audio channel out from the HDMI, and still retain the HDMI-CEC functionality via the box.

Does anyone have any more advice?

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I tried unplugging the hdmi, turning off the receiver and the TV (at the wall, not just via the power button), and then turning them on in various orders.
Still no joy.

It's a little hard to try different HDMI cables at this point as the HDMI runs through the wall; even if that was the problem, I'd not be able to replace it.

I'm starting to thing that perhaps going for an HDMI -> Optical cable at the amplifier end might be worth considering?
Something like this:
monoprice (dot) com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
or this:
monoprice (dot) com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2

(Sorry for the URLs, I can't post links until I've made 5 or more posts...)

Of course, I'd really like to still be able to control the volume of the receiver from the TV remote; I guess that's the HDMI-CEC part that I need to keep working.

So, I either find a way to get the HDMI-CEC & HDMI-ARC working, or I use a box like one of the two linked ones to split the audio channel out from the HDMI, and still retain the HDMI-CEC functionality via the box.

Does anyone have any more advice?
I tried using your first link but just took me to a general ad page. You're looking at some sort of splitter? Can't do a wire direct from tv to avr I take it? Not even to test?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more post, then I'll be able to post the links :)

There was a space in the last parts of the urls:

I could move the amp to check to see if I can get it working; I'll see if I can do that tonight. Unfortunately, the amp is in a server cabinet under the stairs so it's quite an undertaking to get it out.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
One more post, then I'll be able to post the links :)

There was a space in the last parts of the urls:

I could move the amp to check to see if I can get it working; I'll see if I can do that tonight. Unfortunately, the amp is in a server cabinet under the stairs so it's quite an undertaking to get it out.
Sorry, still doesn't work, still just get the general page. What is the brand/model of these items? You could also just go to the post testing area and add a few....

Easy accessibility/interchangeability is the only way for me....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah- not sure either...

Basically, I only have HDMI running from the TV through the wall and into the server room. So I need to make the most of that single cable. I suspect that those boxes may not necessarily solve the problem.

Given that CEC seems to work (I can control the amp volume and on/off state from the TV), the problem is either that audio isn't being sent from the TV to the amp, or the audio is being sent and the amp isn't able to decode/separate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes - a hard reset will be my next thing.

Last night, I tried three different amps (An Integra DTR 20.3, DTR 50.4, and Onkyo TX709. All three had the same behaviour.
The amp is aware that the TV is connected to it, the TV can adjust the amp volume, and the amp displays whether the TV is set to TV speaker output, or amp output.

So I'd say that either the TV isn't sending the audio signal, or the amp is receiving it, but just isn't outputting it through the speakers. It's certainly doesn't seem like the devices aren't communicating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts