AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my dealer Audio Research has announced a MkII version of the CD3 with improvements to the chassis and transport. I have one on order (should be in this week) and I have been searching the internet for details on the the MkII version without any luck. Anyone heard anything more on the differences on the MkII version besides the +$500.00 on the price tag?

p.s. oneobgyn, thanks for your comments on the quality of the CD3. They were what convinced me to demo it, and once I heard it it was an easy decision!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
No offense, but this is such typical ARC.

Every year they make changes to stuff it seems and new MKs are released, thus depreciating gear more or making the owner pay up for the upgrade. At least 500 is better than the 1500-2000 "Mks" on the amps/preamps.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
According to Audio Research the Mk ll is a $500 upgrade that has 50 proprietary changes to its existing CD 3. It still only plays Redbook CD but I heard it last week at Dave Wilson's house (played as a transport only) into a Meitner DAC 8 and ARC Ref 2 Mk ll preamp. It sounded spectacular

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
If it was only functioning as a transport feeding into a spectacular DAC and preamp, then it would have to be of exceptionally poor design not to sound spectacular.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Bigus you are going into quicksand. I have the same technical opinion as you about transports either working or not working, period. However, for reasons I can't explain, digital bits going out from transport to DAC don't end up sounding the same on different transports. However, I haven't done the real scientific DB tests to prove that either.

Wish someone would really do that someday and definitively prove this debate one way or another.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Wish someone would really do that someday and definitively prove this debate one way or another
As open minded as I am about these things, a dbt wouldn't solve the debate. Nothing IMHO will solve it. This is one of those end of time debates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.