Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 3 devices connected to my receiver:

TV
Nvidia Shield
Playstation

I connected all 3 devices to my Marantz Receiver and turned on ARC on all devices. This didn't work well because i had to switch sound sources manually. Now i have connected my Nvidia, PS, Marantz to my TV like this:

I have turned on Pass-Trough / PCM on all devices but i'm not sure if the output to my receiver is right. Is DTS on? Is it stereo? With this setup i can't show the audio output on my tv. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
12,212 Posts
IMO the best setup is: Sources --> AVR --> TV.

But it sounds as though in your current configuration your sources are decoding the audio (to PCM) rather than bitstreaming the audio through the TV to the AVR for it to decode. Make sure your sources are bitstreaming, and that the TV allows the passthrough of bitstreamed audio.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I changed PCM to Bitstream on all devices. I don't think my receiver (Marantz SR6010) supports bitstream. I can't see the audio output in my receiver. When i press 'status' it shows PCM Audio / ARC.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You dont really want to use ARC unless you have to. Sources connected directly to the AVR do not use ARC, only things directly connected to the TV and the TVs own apps can use the AudioReturnChannel(ARC). Which is very limited unless its eARC in which case it may be less limited depending on what everything actually supports. (Including the TV apps themselves)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You dont really want to use ARC unless you have to. Sources connected directly to the AVR do not use ARC, only things directly connected to the TV and the TVs own apps can use the AudioReturnChannel(ARC). Which is very limited unless its eARC in which case it may be less limited depending on what everything actually supports. (Including the TV apps themselves)

I hoped i could use only 1 remote (instead of 4!) + auto switching (sound source) on my receiver.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I hoped i could use only 1 remote (instead of 4!) + auto switching (sound source) on my receiver.
Input select on the tv or input select on the AVR is pretty much the same, usually easier on the AVR because of dedicated source buttons.
The marantz remote can probably very easily be able to turn on and off the tv so no need to use the tv remote much at all.
The original remotes are usually better to use but it depends a bit on your usage if thats a big + or if it doesnt matter much.
Looked like the marantz was from 2015 or so? Which probably means only normal limited to lossy dolby digital and possibly lossy DTS. May not be a big issue though depending on if you use bluray or other lossless multichannel sources.
Lipsync can be an issue with ARC if unlucky.

ARC is very often buggy and unstable but it does work great for some. Only way to know is to try if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks for you.

Edit: forgot to add that you can mix and match ARC on some sources and direct connection to the AVR for others.

·
Premium Member
12,212 Posts
I hoped i could use only 1 remote (instead of 4!) ...
:unsure:

Connecting sources through TV:
  • You need a remote for the source you're using and one for your TV. (2 remotes)
  • If you want to listen to audio through the receiver you'll also need the remote for the AVR. (3 remotes)

Connecting sources through AVR:
  • Remotes for the AVR, the source you're using and the TV. (3 remotes)
  • If your AVR has pass-through and you're using the corresponding source, you don't need the AVR's remote. (2 remotes)

If your sources don't have remotes, subtract one in all cases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think my Marantz receiver is too old. I tried everything and the nvidia shield does not "see" any other remotes. Also the tv does not see any other remotes (for example my marantz remote).

I turned CEC off and i have to keep using 3 remotes. I hoped that with CEC on all devices it would work.

On the plus side, the sound is now ok for every input/channel. 👍One minor detail, no I have to buy a harmony remote for my girlfriend 😅

·
Registered
129 Posts
Get a Logitech eHarmony remote and then run them all through your receiver. I would agree with other ARC is buggy at times so you will need to have all your remotes handy to begin with.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Get a Logitech eHarmony remote and then run them all through your receiver. I would agree with other ARC is buggy at times so you will need to have all your remotes handy to begin with.
Just a heads up, they're discontinuing these. They're saying that support will be continued, so, since they're so cheap and there aren't many other alternatives I might still recommend them - but, it's for sure an end of lifecycle product.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just a heads up, they're discontinuing these. They're saying that support will be continued, so, since they're so cheap and there aren't many other alternatives I might still recommend them - but, it's for sure an end of lifecycle product.
Heard that :-(
Starting to look into alternatives to Harmony under $500... have you found any good ones?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts