AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been banging my head against the wall all day trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with the ARC function on my TV and Denon.

For reference, this is what I am using

Denon AVR-2100W
Samsung 4k Smart TV (Model UN65HU8550)

Here is the situation. The HDMI control function is turned on on the Denon. The TV and Denon are speaking to each other, I can tell this because the volume control on the TV actually says AVR-2100 next to the volume control that's displayed on the TV during smart operations. In the menu the TV is set to play audio through the receiver. The Denon is set to TV Audio during this time as well. Problem is, I get no audio at all. The volume turns up and down on the TV and Denon simultaneously but nothing actually comes out of the speakers. Everything else works fine, the Xbox, the DVR, the BluRay player, all of it. I just can't get the smart TV functions to play out of the surround sound. Can anyone help me here?

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
You should check the threads for your TV in the LCD forum and/or the receiver forum for your Denon. There are dedicated threads.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I apologize if I am pointing out the obvious but CEC control and ARC are separate functions. Are you ARC is enabled on both your TV and receiver?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should check the threads for your TV in the LCD forum and/or the receiver forum for your Denon. There are dedicated threads.
Can you point me in that direction? I am kind of new to the whole forum thing.

I apologize if I am pointing out the obvious but CEC control and ARC are separate functions. Are you ARC is enabled on both your TV and receiver?
Yeah. Everything appears to be setup correctly. The TV and the Denon are communicating, but just not outputting sound.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Can you point me in that direction? I am kind of new to the whole forum thing.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...es-x-series-avr-model-owner-s-thread-faq.html

Yeah. Everything appears to be setup correctly. The TV and the Denon are communicating, but just not outputting sound.
Just to be clear, the fact that they are communicating and working together typically has nothing to with ARC. It is a completely different set of settings.

To have working ARC you need to typically do three things.
1 - Connect an HDMI cable from the ARC port on the receiver to the ARC port on the TV(There is usually only one port that supports ARC on each device)
2 - Enable ARC on the TV
3 - Enable ARC on the receiver

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My general opinion of ARC is that it's a pain in the *ss. I gave up and found using an optical connection much easier.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
The easiest approach would be to abandon ARC and connect everything to the AV receiver. That is the preferred way to set it up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My general opinion of ARC is that it's a pain in the *ss. I gave up and found using an optical connection much easier.
Same here. Enabling ARC meant having to enable unwanted HDMI control features on my AVR, which would screw with my TV input when using my Harmony remote.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
HDMI-ARC is insufficient for high quality audio from HD (Blu-ray) content, so BD players and such should be plugged into the AVR.

HDMI-ARC is a convenience to carry television (OTA, analog cable) audio to the AVR without a separate audio connection (TOSlink, SPDIF).

As mentioned, ARC is unrelated to HDMI-CEC, though some devices will put the settings on the same screen. Just because the remote CEC functions work, doesn't mean ARC is enabled.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, most of you forgot to mention the most obvious thing, ****ty HDMI cable and wrong HDMI cable standard. HDMI 1.4 is first to introduce ARC so if you by mistake plugged in some older version...no sound.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Well, most of you forgot to mention the most obvious thing, ****ty HDMI cable and wrong HDMI cable standard. HDMI 1.4 is first to introduce ARC so if you by mistake plugged in some older version...no sound.
ARC does not require a different HDMI cable. Any cable will work. HDMI version numbers refer to the equipment at both ends of the cable, not the cables themselves.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ARC does not require a different HDMI cable. Any cable will work. HDMI version numbers refer to the equipment at both ends of the cable, not the cables themselves.
I see, my mistake. Well, it still took me to go through couple of cables before finding one that works with ARC. Its worth a shot at least.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
D'oh! You are correct, though maybe not with cable (though I do remember seeing notices that HDMI cables were "1.4 compatible" for Ethernet, 3D, ARC ... maybe even referring to bandwidth increases).

But this is also critical if a TV or an AVR is NOT ARC capable. Derp. OP needs to verify that both components do in fact support ARC. I think that was stated, but.... ,:}

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
People interested in cable requirements should visit hdmi.org, where they spelled out in detail. "1.4 compatible" is marketing language, as there's nothing about the cable needed for 1.4 features.

There are two basic types of cables - standard and high speed. The latter is recommended for 1080p video, which would include 3D.

Ethernet is a different cable, although that is pointless for now as there are no commercial devices that support Ethernet over HDMI.

ARC works with any HDMI cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts