AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For almost 2 years, I have had a Samsung 7100 series TV and a Pioneer VSX-823-K working well together with ARC.

We used it for the Netflix app on the TV, and more recently for our FireTV Stick.

Last Sunday, It just quit sending sound to the AV receiver, and "Receiver" is greyed out in Sound->Speaker Settings->Speaker Select. Only TV Speaker and External speaker are selectable. This was not always the case. We would select Receiver, and it would pipe the sound back to the AV receiver system via the ARC channel(s).

I don't know if there was an auto-update that broke functionality on the TV, or if it is a problem with the AV receiver or the TV. I did preform an TV update today since it already wasn't working, and that did not fix it. There is no way to upgrade the Pioneer AV receiver of which I am aware.

Can it be something as simple as a faulty cable? Why would it go bad after 2 years? I have 2 new cables on order to test this theory.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong and how I can troubleshoot further?

The AV receiver is functioning fine in all other ways, but it will not connect (HDMI-CEC must be turned on for ARC to function) to Samsung's brand AnyNet+ (HDMI-CEC) like it used to do.

Kind regards,
Nathan

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
ARC/CEC is a real pain in the a$$ to use. Mostly because of CEC. The CEC protocols are not standardized so any sort of update can cause problems or it can just flake out. More than likely neither the tv or the receiver are broken. It's just that AEC/CEC are not compatible now for what ever reason. There aren't any updates or firmware pushes that I know of that can make ARC/CEC work again, especially if you have HDMI connected devices from different mfrs, which most of us do. I gave up on ARC/CEC a long time ago and went to using an optical cable from the tv to the receiver for OTA television and HDMI connected devices (the occasional laptop), which is limited to discrete 5.1 at best (just like ARC) and a programmable remote like a Harmony for single remote control of my HTS (automatic input selection, etc).

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
'Can it be something as simple as a faulty cable? Why would it go bad after 2 years? ' - it wouldn't be the first time!

I would power the system Off at the wall, push/pull all HDMI connections then re-power the system and go through the CEC and ARC enable settings again.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts