AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really curious about this combination. I have liked everything I have read about the Butler Audio amplifiers and I think it would mate well with my Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Mike:

I've also been interested in the Butler amps but have never heard one. Not a true tube amp (just a tubed output stage, ala Musical Fidelity) but supposedly still has that sweet, musical sound. Also at 150 wpc (I think), it would still have the cojones to drive most speaker set-ups. As an AVP-700 owner, I think they would complement each other well, but you would obviously have to listen...

John

http://hometheater.about.com/od/audi...ler5150new.htm

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was interested in this combination. Unfortunately the store near me did not have the ARCAM 700 in before I went overseas. Purchased an OUTLAW 990 and I use the DACS in the pre most of the time. The butler 5150 sounds very similar to my Pathos classic one Ver.2 integrated amp and that is a very good thing. I have an Arcam 73T but do not think that it sounds any better than the DACs in the 990s. However, both are very good. In my opinion Butler and the 990 are an excellent match and I have been very pleased. I think the Butler Audio 5150 is an excellent piece of gear and great for the money. Honestly I do not know why they do not get that much press. However, would love to hear someones impression of the Arcam 700 and the butler.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no dealers in my area that stock anything other than a Best Buy and a Circuit City. Anything I purchase is essentially a blind buy or I have to make a drive to Texas.

It seems that anyone that has come in contact with the Butler has raved about it and wouldnt trade it for amps twice it's price. One guy on Audiogon was selling his Bel Canto EVo6 and in the picture to show the amp you could see the Butler 5150 on the shelf above in his rack... I emailed him and he said he much preferred the Butler.

Here's a review from 6moons.com on the two-channel that is very well done. The two channel is basically the same as the 5-channel 5150.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/butler/2250.html

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I've heard the Butler 3 and 5 channel amps. The 3 channel amp used a Sherwood Newcastle R-865 for a front end, and the 5 channel amp was mated with a B&K Ref 50. The 3 channel amp drove several speakers, Totems and ML's, and the 5 channel amp was driving ML Vantage speakers. I've never heard an electrostat sound so involving. I heard the same Vantage speakers driven by a Krell Showcase amp, and the result was flat and lifeless. The Butler brought those speakers to life and made them disappear into the music.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff Bubba... I received this email from Butler audio when I was inquiring about possible new amps with more power.....

"Our present 5x 150 (RMS) is really more like 5 x 200 (8ohms) by comparative industry claims already. At 4 ohms it easily produces 5x250 Watts.

However BK Butler will only rate his products in commercial “all channels driven†RMS power which is the most conservative in the business.

Aside from the very conservative power rating and the authentic tube sound of the amp, the Dynamics really set it apart as it really does produce “live†transients such as drum hits and other dynamic events. But as for now, a 250W RMS 5-channel amp is not available.

We have the new Butler 7.1 tube receiver scheduled to be shown at the CES show in January."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.