AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 3643 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hey guys,

New 850 owner here. I tried setting up Dirac last night, but have issues using the included mic.
Do you guys recommend using the UMIK-1 kit, or any other?

Cheers!
I use the umik-1 all good for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hey guys i read somewhere that the new Arcam avr 860 does atmos and with a update will do a full calibration with Dirac on the Atmos height speakers. is this true?

what about if you have 2 subs. how do you guys do the different delays, distance, etc. I see in their website that it is a 7.1.4, will something like a minidsp do the trick. like buying the one miniDSP 2x4 then for Dirac ? don't know much of the minidsp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
hey guys i read somewhere that the new Arcam avr 860 does atmos and with a update will do a full calibration with Dirac on the Atmos height speakers. is this true?

what about if you have 2 subs. how do you guys do the different delays, distance, etc. I see in their website that it is a 7.1.4, will something like a minidsp do the trick. like buying the one miniDSP 2x4 then for Dirac ? don't know much of the minidsp.

All the Arcams do full 7.1.4 calibration. I have 3 subs and use the minidsp 2x4 with awesome results.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Arcam AVR-850 & Arcam AVR-550

All the Arcams do full 7.1.4 calibration. I have 3 subs and use the minidsp 2x4 with awesome results.

Thanks how much is the street price for the arcam avs 860. I don't live in the USA so I don't have a dealer in my country. But I will be visiting Boston on January, if it is out I can try to get it then. But need to now how much it cost.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey guys how is the AVR-850 are their any problem with the unit ?
Does it have HDR ?
I'm asking because i have the emotiva xmc-1 and it has Dirac. But it does not have HDR yet and you can't have 3 presets of Dirac at the same time. You have to have the computer connected and change it. I will love to have the ability to change it on the receiver it self.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Arcam AVR-850 & Arcam AVR-550

Are they any bugs or kirks that I should know about in the two units ?
I have right now the emotiva xmc-1 it has Dirac and I love the sound that it brings in my speakers. But I can't have 3 presets on the receiver at the same time with Dirac. Will love to have that option and I think I read somewhere that both arcam units do it. Is their a major difference between the 550 and the 850 ? Do they have HDR ?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Are they any bugs or kirks that I should know about in the two units ?
I have right now the emotiva xmc-1 it has Dirac and I love the sound that it brings in my speakers. But I can't have 3 presets on the receiver at the same time with Dirac. Will love to have that option and I think I read somewhere that both arcam units do it. Is their a major difference between the 550 and the 850 ? Do they have HDR ?

and you cant with Arcam

·
Premium Member
4,908 Posts
MSRP ONLY

850 - $6000

550 - $3400

390 - $2500

From a $ per watt or $ per channel perspective it's tough going up against the Marantz, Denon and Yamaha for sure all of which are good products.

The secret sauce is that ARCAM is known for DAC /DSP integration, low noise floor and now DiRac.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use the umik-1 all good for me.
Thanks! Did you try with the included mic as well? Were the readings different enough to warrant the $110 or so price?

·
Registered
197 Posts
MSRP ONLY

850 - $6000

550 - $3400

390 - $2500

From a $ per watt or $ per channel perspective it's tough going up against the Marantz, Denon and Yamaha for sure all of which are good products.

The secret sauce is that ARCAM is known for DAC /DSP integration, low noise floor and now DiRac.

Ok thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
ARCAM AVR can store just one curve.

As HTPCAT states you can off load to a PC, change and reload but this will not allow you to A/B two curves.

Ok thanks I will have a HTPC connected to the projector so I can easily do A/B comparison.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Thanks! Did you try with the included mic as well? Were the readings different enough to warrant the $110 or so price?
I already had the umik-1, but I probably would have bought it if I didn't have it as the microphones supplied with AVRs are not typically very accurate or well made. I did measue with both and there were differences although impossible to know if they are due to the mics or because I didn't measure from exact same positions. I had to use a camera tripod with the arcam mic because it isn't shaped like a microphone so couldn't use my microphone boom.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Ok thanks I will have a HTPC connected to the projector so I can easily do A/B comparison.

You can't really do ab comparisons in the true sense as it takes 5 or so minutes to load a target curve to the AVR. Too much time in between listening.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I have done 2 dirac calibrations and for both when I check the levels set by dirac using test tones generated from the AVR my speakers are all at 87db and my sub(s) are at 97db. At another forum they are telling me this is correct due to the lfe channel being mixed 10db lower. I am aware of this, but understood that modern day AVRs add the 10bd during playback, not added in the speaker levels. The people on the other forum say that when I am playing the test tones the AVR is adding this (I am not convinced) so wondering if anybody else has measured levels with the test tones from Arcam after a calibration and if the same kind of results. I suppose if the Arcam isnt adding back the 10bd, then it would be correct for dirac to add it. Just thought all modern AVRs added this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey guys,

New 850 owner here. I tried setting up Dirac last night, but have issues using the included mic.
Do you guys recommend using the UMIK-1 kit, or any other?

Cheers!
What issue are you having?

The reason I bought the UMK-1 mic was because my Funk Audio subwoofers are capable down to 10Hz and the Arcam supplied microphone is only calibrated to 20Hz. I spent the extra $25 for the Spectrum Cross calibrated version.

501 - 520 of 3643 Posts