AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2122 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Arcam has revealed a complete new AV receiver range at CEDIA Expo 2019:

Articles:
https://www.whathifi.com/news/arcam-reveals-complete-new-av-receiver-range-at-cedia-expo
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/arcams-av-electronics-line-gets-refresh

Reviews:
AVR20: FWD Homecinema review
AVR20/30: Area DVD preview (in German)
AV40: Audio Advice review

Full HDA receiver range at Arcam website:
https://www.arcam.co.uk/range/hda.htm

Main feature improvements compared to previous AVR generation:
* 3 Dirac calibration slots (previous generation has 1)
* Support for Dirac Bass Management Module. Tier 3 is included for free, Tier 2 and 1 can be bought as upgrade from Dirac.
* Crossover frequency can now be set differently per speaker pair. I.e. no need set the same crossover frequency for all speakers.
* Auro-3D
* New DAC (ESS 9026PRO, previous generation has Cirrus CS42528)
* Google cast & Android UPnP
* HDMI 2.0b & HDCP 2.2 (previous generation has HDMI 2.0a), with eARC.
* More channels
* Wifi & Bluetooth

AVRs:
AVR10: 7x60W/85W (@8/4Ohm), 12 channels, Class AB, frame-type transformer, 16.5 kg. MSRP: $2500/£2299.
AVR20: 7x90W/110W (@8/4Ohm), 16 channels, Class AB, toroidal transformer, 16.6 kg. MSRP: $4000/£2999.
AVR30: 7x100W/180W (@8/4Ohm), 16 channels, Glass G, toroidal transformer, 18.1kg. MSRP: $6000/£4999.

AV Processor:
AV40: 16 XLR outputs, 16 RCA outputs, pairs with PA240/410/720 power amplifiers, 10.6 kg. MSRP: $4500/£3749.

Common for AVR10/20/30 & AV40:
* Dolby Atmos & DTS:X decoding 9.1.6 (AVR20/30&AV40) 7.1.4 (AVR10). IMAX enhanced.
* 7 HDMI inputs, 3 HDMI outputs (AVR20/30&AV40) 2 HDMI outputs (AVR10), eARC compatible.
* 4K (UHD) HDMI2.0b with HDCP2.2
* Dirac Live® room correction
* ESS 9026PRO audiophile DAC
* Google Cast/UPnP capability for streaming audio
* Bluetooth, Wifi / Ethernet, RS232 and IR control
* Free MusicLife iOS and Android UPnP and control app
* Size (WxDxH): 433 x 422 x 171 mm (AVR10/20/30), 433 x 412 x 171 mm (AV40). Depth with volume knob included is 441 mm (AVR10/20/30), 431 mm (AV40).

Power amplifiers:
PA240: 2x225W/380W (@8/4Ohm), Class G, 18 kg. MSRP: $2500/£1999.
PA410: 4x50W/70W (@8/4Ohm), Class AB, 10 kg. MSRP: £1299.
PA720: 7x100W/140W (@8/4Ohm). Class G, 18 kg. MSRP: $3000/£2499.

Common for PA240/720/410: Toroidal transformer
Common for PA240/720: XLR & RCA inputs
Only PA410: RCA inputs.
Size (WxDxH): 433 x 425 x 171 mm (PA240), 433 x 414 x 171 mm (PA720), 433 x 290 x 102 mm (PA410)

AVR10/20/30 & AV40 image front (all look the same except for the logo in bottom left corner):

AVR10 image back:

AVR20/30 image back:

AV40 Processor image back:

PA240/720 power amplifier image front (both look the same except for the logo in bottom left corner):

PA240 image back:

PA720 image back:

PA410 power amplifier image front:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some initial questions that would be nice to get answered:

* Is there any way to upgrade the HDMI inputs to HDMI 2.1 later?

* Do the AVRs support setting a separate cutoff frequency for different speakers? E.g. 40 Hz for front speakers, 120 Hz for rear, and 80 Hz for subwoofers? The previous generation AVRs did not support that.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. The AVR20 combined with two of the soon released PA410's would be a nice system to drive a 9.1.6 setup.

It is a shame they have no plans to release a PA810 as it would have resulted in a minimalistic two box solution.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
The spec sheet for the AV40 Processor boasts about "dynamic Class G amplification".
Indeed, as did the press releases. Maybe they need to invest in a proof reader.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Not sure how I missed the new Arcam HDA line info, but the AVR10 checks every single box I wanted in order to jump up to a Dirac offering (the NAD T778 was almost it but I changed my mind on that).

1) How has Arcams reliability usually been on new product launches? I know to always expect a few firmware fixes here and there, but are they usually like a more mainstream brand in that headaches are minimum or are they potentially like an Emotiva where you might have to learn to live with it (such as the HDMI handshake issues)?

2) For anyone who saw these in person or knows more about them, will they include an OSD? I believe I saw mention of the pre/pro having one in another thread but wasn't positive.

3) Is it advised to get a UMIK-1 to use instead of the included microphone?

4) Any good online dealer recommendation for the States? And is pricing under MSRP usually available?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
IIRC from the Harman video at Cedia, all the 16 ch models had the same processing and features, the differences were amplification (if it had any and if so, what class).

Has anyone heard if that’s correct or if features differ?

I keep seeing Roon and MQA come up, but nothing on the spec sheet or on the logo banner across the face plate of licensed tech. Can anyone confirm if these are going to be there?

Lastly, has anyone heard when these should be shipping in the US? The have an AVR 20 on order but am unsure when to expect it, and if some features are only on the AV 40 I can check with my dealer about changing my order.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
are the 420/720 Dante enabled? I notice the ethernet port on the back...
My guess it is for IP management, not sure why it would be needed on an amp though.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Any guesses on if the onboard amps on the AVR10 will be completely assignable? I have a 5 channel amp that I'd like to off-load the LCR and Surr R+L onto and just run my four Atmos heights from the onboard amps...but not sure if that is allowed or if I have to use an external amp for the second pair of heights (based on the speaker post labels on the back).

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Any guesses on if the onboard amps on the AVR10 will be completely assignable? I have a 5 channel amp that I'd like to off-load the LCR and Surr R+L onto and just run my four Atmos heights from the onboard amps...but not sure if that is allowed or if I have to use an external amp for the second pair of heights (based on the speaker post labels on the back).
I don’t know for sure, but 99% sure only the rear surround are reassignable to heights. This is based off the current spec sheet, the interviews at the Arcam booth at Cedia, and how previous Arcam models worked.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
So for a 5.1.4 setup, one pair of heights will most likely have to be put on an external amp (the other pair would just use the rear surround amp)?

Not a huge issue, would have just liked to put my surrounds on the amp and keep all Atmos speakers on the AVR.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm interested in the AVR10, but I would like to know if they use 24 or 12dB rolloff filters for the crossover.
I tried the AVR390 in the past, but returned it because the 12db rolloff filters caused issues with my bass.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I'm interested in the AVR10, but I would like to know if they use 24 or 12dB rolloff filters for the crossover.
I tried the AVR390 in the past, but returned it because the 12db rolloff filters caused issues with my bass.
Is that even relevant if you use the Dirac Live Bass Management module?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is that even relevant if you use the Dirac Live Bass Management module?
It depends on how the DL Bass Management module works. If the module controls the crossovers filter, then it's probably not an issue.
But if you have to choose a crossover in the AVR and the Dirac Live does phase optimisation around the crossover region, then the AVR's crossover filters are probably used.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
It depends on how the DL Bass Management module works. If the module controls the crossovers filter, then it's probably not an issue.
But if you have to choose a crossover in the AVR and the Dirac Live does phase optimisation around the crossover region, then the AVR's crossover filters are probably used.
It is supposed to do the crossover bit, guess we will know in full once it is released.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is supposed to do the crossover bit, guess we will know in full once it is released.
As far as I read the blog posts of Dirac, they will set the delay between indivdual subs and then equalise them to get the best inroom response. Just like Audyssey XT32 Bass EQ. But Dirac will also do phase optimalisation like Audyssey Pro. But if Dirac also controls the crossover filters, wasn't mentioned. And I'm also not sure if Dirac will be able to choose the optimal crossover from your system/room.

But's lets wait and see. I hope I'll be able to do an in home test when the Bass Management module is released.
The AVR10 looks likes a good choice to replace my NAD T758 V3 with (which I choose in favor of the AVR390 because bass management was bad on the Arcam AVR390)

1 - 20 of 2122 Posts