AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 2815 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
After doing a couple of factory resets in sequence and then reloading firmware 1.40, the issues I was having with Dirac seem to be resolved. The bass sounds very good now with DLBC not boomy at all.
Well done, glad you have 1.40 working good for yourself. I tried about 9 installs, strict measures each time and even unplugging everything (but not speaker wires) the last time, made no difference, though. Factory resets can help, doing so got rid of distortion (not constant, only in certain scenes) with Atmos tracks with my first 1.34 install. But installed 1.34 twice since and did not have to factory reset after install the latter two times.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hope you are right. ESS does make a 16 channel Dec. maybe two of the ESS 2096 Pro cost less then one ESS 16 channel Dec. the ESS 2096 Pro is their least expensive DAC that has ESS pro architecture Their DACs are excellent. That is why I bought the Arcam. If their is two Dec then this unit can be made to work flawlessly
Same, main reason I purchased my 30 was because it has the ESS Sabre Pro. My last AVR, a Yamaha A3070 had the same DAC, and it was the best sounding receiver I had before to date. I kept it over an AVR550. Some say the DAC makes little difference. I have my doubts about that. All I know is that the 30 is my dream amp because it combines the qualities of the Yamaha sound I love so much with Arcam's clean amplification stage + Dirac's magic, as well as 16 channels, and Class G, if you believe that makes a difference. My 30 definitely shares the same wide soundstage, clarity and energy and drive of my A3070. I assume that must be at least partly due to the DAC? It was a hardest AV decision I had to make but that is why I ended up keeping and preferring my A3070 overall over my 550. The 30 is much improved over both of those AVRs for me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Is there a way to use both Trigger outputs (Z1 and Z2) simultaneously when I power up the AV40? If I go to front menu and turn on Z2 it then works, but every power down resests Z2 to off.
I use 2 amps for all the channels, which I presume many others are.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Is there a way to use both Trigger outputs (Z1 and Z2) simultaneously when I power up the AV40? If I go to front menu and turn on Z2 it then works, but every power down resests Z2 to off.
Unfortunately not. I use a 3.5mm stereo splitter (to two 3.5mm stereo jacks for two people to listen to the same thing, not splitting L/R to individual mono jacks) and it works 100% reliably with my ATI amps. One amp is under the AV40, and the other is about 60' of cable (3.5mm stereo to stereo in-wall rated) away at the front of the room.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks,
Mike
I've got a feature request running at Harman for that. But it doesn't look promising as they have a lot of **** to deal with before doing something like that...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks, regrettably. Unfortunately none of my FR amps allow daisy chaining, like ALL of the amps in my Theater do.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,469
Some initial questions that would be nice to get answered [by Arcam]:
* Is there any way to upgrade the HDMI inputs to HDMI 2.1 later?
To get these questions answered, I contacted the Arcam support. In my opinion, the answers were very positive and professionally stated.

In short the answers were:

* Arcam has made every possible effort to make the AVRs upgradable to HDMI 2.1. This includes making the HDMI board easier to remove. Arcam has also done all that they can to ensure an upgrade will be possible should compatible hardware arrive in a timely fashion. But since a HDMI 2.1 certification process does not currently exist, nobody can know for sure. This applies to all AVRs manufacturers, and not just Arcam, despite any claims other manufacturers make of already being HDMI 2.1 compatible.
UPDATE: I contacted Arcam recently to get an update on this, and whether they have any updated information on if the AVR10/20/30 & AV40 will be possible to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 (e.g. by replacing the HDMI board).

The response I got was that this:
"While HDMI 2.1 silicon has become available to us to look into adding it to future products, nothing has been announced or confirmed in a capacity that I can elaborate on at this time."

This sounds like HDMI 2.1 is only being considered for future AVR models/products, and not for upgrade of existing models. So I asked the Arcam support to clarify if there has been any update regarding update of existing AVRs to HDMI 2.1, since more is known e.g. about available chips for that compared to ~1 year ago. I received no response. I sent two reminders. Still no reply for ~1 month. :( I'm not sure what to make of this, but my guess is that Arcam is not considering any HDMI 2.1 upgrade path for existing AVRs.

·
Registered
978 Posts
UPDATE: I contacted Arcam recently to get an update on this, and whether they have any updated information on if the AVR10/20/30 & AV40 will be possible to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 (e.g. by replacing the HDMI board).

The response I got was that this:
"While HDMI 2.1 silicon has become available to us to look into adding it to future products, nothing has been announced or confirmed in a capacity that I can elaborate on at this time."

This sounds like HDMI 2.1 is only being considered for future AVR models/products, and not for upgrade of existing models. So I asked the Arcam support to clarify if there has been any update regarding update of existing AVRs to HDMI 2.1, since more is known e.g. about available chips for that compared to ~1 year ago. I received no response. I sent two reminders. Still no reply for ~1 month. :( I'm not sure what to make of this, but my guess is that Arcam is not considering any HDMI 2.1 upgrade path for existing AVRs.
Is Arcam going back on their promise to make these units HDMI 2.1? Their reps has stated this at CES 2019. And here is a link to the forum were the poster stated the samething that he read from an article

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is Arcam going back on their promise to make these units HDMI 2.1? Their reps has stated this at CES 2019. And here is a link to the forum were the poster stated the samething that he read from an article

Let them first make the devices stable.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
After being fed up with the bugs on my Arcam AV40 and it still not properly working on channels 13/14 with DLBC, I had to return it today.

We are going to be without a processor so our theater will be down, but we just cannot take the inconsistent reliability anymore of this processor, despite getting a great deal on it.

To anyone who's considering Arcam, I would say if you have the patience for the new firmware updates and have an open mind with bugs/troubleshooting and you can get a great deal from a dealer like i did, it may be worth it.

For us, life is way too short so we are going to most likely go with the Monoprice HTP-1 since we love our reliable amp from them. It is currently backordered though. If we decide not to get that, then we will do the Marantz 8805, but we are leaning towards paying more for the Monoprice (HTP-1 is more for us because our dealer doesn't offer a discount for Monoprice but they offer one on the Marantz).

I truly hope Arcam works out the bugs for you guys and thanks for always replying to my concerns and remarks regarding my AV40.

·
Registered
978 Posts
After being fed up with the bugs on my Arcam AV40 and it still not properly working on channels 13/14 with DLBC, I had to return it today.

We are going to be without a processor so our theater will be down, but we just cannot take the inconsistent reliability anymore of this processor, despite getting a great deal on it.

To anyone who's considering Arcam, I would say if you have the patience for the new firmware updates and have an open mind with bugs/troubleshooting and you can get a great deal from a dealer like i did, it may be worth it.

For us, life is way too short so we are going to most likely go with the Monoprice HTP-1 since we love our reliable amp from them. It is currently backordered though. If we decide not to get that, then we will do the Marantz 8805, but we are leaning towards paying more for the Monoprice (HTP-1 is more for us because our dealer doesn't offer a discount for Monoprice but they offer one on the Marantz).

I truly hope Arcam works out the bugs for you guys and thanks for always replying to my concerns and remarks regarding my AV40.
I cant blame you. I am thinking of doing the same thing. This is ridiculous and it seems Arcam does not care.

My dealer recomends the Marantz also as he is getting tired of all the returns. At this rate I would not be surprised if Arcam goes out of business. Their products are not cheap and the owner should not have to go through this garabage

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

I am very quickly coming to the same state.

The original unit I bought was defective, Arcam took 2.5 months to get me a replacement. This replacement again was defective - and it’s been more than a month and I still don’t have a working Arcam product. If they dont send me a working product in the next week I will insist on getting a refund. If they don’t I will have to take legal recourse under my state’s lemon laws.

It’s absolutely ridiculous how bad Arcam customer service is - I have never purchased a product that had so many issues and the company didn’t stand behind the product. It really is quite pathetic.

AV40 has good sound but with so many defects around the basic advertised features and non-existing after sales support I cannot in my right mind ever recommend another Arcam product to anyone. I am done with this bull from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I am very quickly coming to the same state.

The original unit I bought was defective, Arcam took 2.5 months to get me a replacement. This replacement again was defective - and it’s been more than a month and I still don’t have a working Arcam product. If they dont send me a working product in the next week I will insist on getting a refund. If they don’t I will have to take legal recourse under my state’s lemon laws.

It’s absolutely ridiculous how bad Arcam customer service is - I have never purchased a product that had so many issues and the company didn’t stand behind the product. It really is quite pathetic.

AV40 has good sound but with so many defects around the basic advertised features and non-existing after sales support I cannot in my right mind ever recommend another Arcam product to anyone. I am done with this bull from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So terribly sorry your experience has been very similar to mine. I think we stuck around with them for so long because of the great deal we got for a ready to go Dirac machine. The Emotiva xmc2 was pretty close in price but had even more bugs. I loved the sound quality of the Arcam when it wasn't frozen up or had no audio coming out, but life is just too short for this madness.

I really hope you insist on a refund like I did. My unit came damaged on the face due to them manually updating it. Not terrible but still was not happy with the damage. I got constant excuses from my dealer and got fed up with all of it. I was told i didn't install firmware correctly, Yada, Yada, yada...

But anyways, good luck on getting the refund. I don't have my refund yet but hopefully next week sometime and then I will get the HTP-1 since I have had great experiences with the company and want to maintain Dirac. It is going to be a lot more money compared to my ARCAM AV40 but hopefully i will be very happy longterm and less stressed overall!

Take care buddy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You know when a phone stops been a phone cause it has all these fancy features that drains the battery and when you need to ring some-one but the phone goes dead cause of all them fancy smart feature drain the performance out of it.

That was my experience of Arcam AVR10, all the bells and whistles, but when you want to watch a movie, you release that atmos is broken, or the speakers are distorting, or the HDMI handshake is not working. And if you need to update, get yourself a specific USB cause Arcam hasn't figured out how FW updates work in 2020 and needs a night to think about it and maybe it might update itself if your planning on updating on the internet like any normal product
But you can update manually by reaching into the back of the unit cause god forbid they could put a usb port in the front ruining aesthetics. And why didn't they put a display button on there remote for E-ARC 🤪

Sorry for the rant, but going back to my Denon made me realize how crazy the whole situation with the Aracm HDA series has been. They dropped the ball and lost focus on what there product should be, and that's a stable product that you can rely on after a hard day's work and enjoy watching movies, listening to music with ease. As @iStorm mentioned life is too short for this. You end up becoming FW junkies when you buy into to this,

I will say wholeheartedly when it's working it was the best sounding receiver I have ever used.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
I will say wholeheartedly when it's working it was the best sounding receiver I have ever used.
I agree with this statement, and wish everyone the best with their switch. We'll meet again in other threads :)

I too got fed up (not really being able to use Dirac after I paid for the multi-sub license, the Dolby Surround center spread always on), and two days before 1.40 dropped I ordered a Trinnov Altitude 16. I was driven that crazy. Thankfully I got a (relatively) great deal right before the October price increase. I guess there is no turning back with that order committed, but I'm now not experiencing much of any issue with the AV40. Really just the center spread bug, and so use Neural:X for now when I prefer to use the Dolby Surround upmixer. Unfortunately, that isn't anywhere close to universal. Harman really need a larger number of testers, to cover all the different layouts and use cases that we all have. I'm sure many of us would volunteer. They could be so close to finally delivering what we envisioned and they promised.

(Like tommarra with his MRX720 I found the Arcam better sounding than my Anthem MRX1120. I had an HTP-1 here in February, and just couldn't get on with the volume control. From what I've read, that still hasn't changed. Most owners don't find it an issue though, but was just a show stopper for me)

·
Registered
49 Posts

Well done with your decision and I wish you all the very best with your new amp, which I am sure will be much better for you which ever you choose. I am in a predicament myself with my AVR30. A replacement is due on Friday but I think it won't solve any of my issues. And I am worried it might be worse, for example, have hum when on. My current unit is quiet. I know some have had noisy/ noisier units than others. Not sure if to just return mine and cut my losses too. I'd be without an amp for the meanwhile, though. As not sure I want to go back to a Yamaha and there is nothing else I can afford that has what I want/ that my 30 has.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I cant blame you. I am thinking of doing the same thing. This is ridiculous and it seems Arcam does not care.

My dealer recomends the Marantz also as he is getting tired of all the returns. At this rate I would not be surprised if Arcam goes out of business. Their products are not cheap and the owner should not have to go through this garabage

100% agree! I have had multiple denon AVRs and owned the Marantz 7705 which is quite similar to the 8805 and I will say you would be very happy with either, especially with how rock solid reliable they are.

I still use a Denon AVR in my bedroom for a 3.1 setup as well. BUT... after going from ARC and Audyssey to Dirac I feel like i NEED it because it is just THAT good. The Arcam AV40 was not tested to be very well but Dirac turned it into a Beast so I expect even better results and reliability from the Monoprice HTP-1!

Hope you get it figured out!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Well done with your decision and I wish you all the very best with your new amp, which I am sure will be much better for you which ever you choose. I am in a predicament myself with my AVR30. A replacement is due on Friday but I think it won't solve any of my issues. And I am worried it might be worse, for example, have hum when on. My current unit is quiet. I know some have had noisy/ noisier units than others. Not sure if to just return mine and cut my losses too. I'd be without an amp for the meanwhile, though. As not sure I want to go back to a Yamaha and there is nothing else I can afford that has what I want/ that my 30 has.
If you do not have the extra funds right now, then maybe stick it out, but i just know for me, I would take a Marantz processor over the Arcam if you can downgrade to Audyssey. Also, Anthem's ARC is very good and I would rate it second best to Dirac IMO.

Sorry to hear of all of the issues. I had hum, hiss, pops, distortion, etc with the AV40. Dirac made it worth it but ultimately the bugs and reliability were just not worth it for my family and I.

2461 - 2480 of 2815 Posts