AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2612 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you do not have the extra funds right now, then maybe stick it out, but i just know for me, I would take a Marantz processor over the Arcam if you can downgrade to Audyssey. Also, Anthem's ARC is very good and I would rate it second best to Dirac IMO.

Sorry to hear of all of the issues. I had hum, hiss, pops, distortion, etc with the AV40. Dirac made it worth it but ultimately the bugs and reliability were just not worth it for my family and I.
I didn't like my X4400H nor XT32, that I owned for a very brief period, hated it. The mid range compensation gave me a headache and sucked the life and soul out of my soundstage and I could not overcome it no matter what I tried. Then I moved to the Yamaha A3070 and it just blew the s*it out of the Denon, not in the same league so I really shouldn't compare them, but that was my upgrade path. The only thing I liked about the Denon and XT32 was the nuance to my soundstage it gave. But everything else paled to the A3070, clarity, soundstage size, drive, dynamics and most importantly, realism.

Yeah, sticking out for now, cancelled my replacement as I think I manged to solve Atmos track distortion I was having (no one else I know had this - particular timestamps in films and intermittent). I think it was due to a dud filter and or Dirac ver. 3.0.5. Uploading the same 1.36 filter with 3.0.9 works fine, as does my 1.40 filter. Need to see about the distorted measurement tones still though. In all, in a much better place for now.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I didn't like my X4400H nor XT32, that I owned for a very brief period, hated it. The mid range compensation gave me a headache and sucked the life and soul out of my soundstage and I could not overcome it no matter what I tried. Then I moved to the Yamaha A3070 and it just blew the s*it out of the Denon, not in the same league so I really shouldn't compare them, but that was my upgrade path. The only thing I liked about the Denon and XT32 was the nuance to my soundstage it gave. But everything else paled to the A3070, clarity, soundstage size, drive, dynamics and most importantly, realism.

Yeah, sticking out for now, cancelled my replacement as I think I manged to solve Atmos track distortion I was having (no one else I know had this - particular timestamps in films and intermittent). I think it was due to a dud filter and or Dirac ver. 3.0.5. Uploading the same 1.36 filter with 3.0.9 works fine, as does my 1.40 filter. Need to see about the distorted measurement tones still though. In all, in a much better place for now.
You can turn audyssey midrange compensation off using the app. Did you try xt32 without MRC when you had the 4400?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You can turn audyssey midrange compensation off using the app. Did you try xt32 without MRC when you had the 4400?

I'm assuming he probably had an incompatible receiver to work with the newer app (I could be wrong). But yes, turning MRC off is a must for me and sounded so much better on the 7705 with app. You can also use the "Flat" Audyssey curve if you don't have the app and that also disables MRC.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm assuming he probably had an incompatible receiver to work with the newer app (I could be wrong). But yes, turning MRC off is a must for me and sounded so much better on the 7705 with app. You can also use the "Flat" Audyssey curve if you don't have the app and that also disables MRC.
The Denon 4400 is compatible with the app.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes, I had tried turning it off with the app. Yes, I would have tried it without MRC I think.

I came from a marantz 8805 and also prefer Dirac to audyssey although I don’t think there is a huge difference. I just don’t think MRC is a valid criticism of audyssey anymore given it can be disabled.

With audyssey , you have to either use Dynamic EQ or play with the curve editor in the app. Most people won’t like the flat bass response it targets if you don’t. Dirac is much easier to adjust the target curve to preference although I prefer the Hartman/default curves to one with a big bass boost. Big bass boosts don’t sound natural to me.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Well I just spoke to Arcam customer service and they stated that the company is aware of all the faults and the next upgrade should make the unit flawless. He claims that it may take a month as Arcam works through the software issues.

So should I wait for the next update or return the unit as defective and hope I can get another unit in its place

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well I just spoke to Arcam customer service and they stated that the company is aware of all the faults and the next upgrade should make the unit flawless. He claims that it may take a month as Arcam works through the software issues.

So should I wait for the next update or return the unit as defective and hope I can get another unit in its place

Could even take much longer than a month. Got replies as well today from Arcam. They are asking for more concret and detailed help over and over again. IMHO they don't have a clue where the problems rely on with v1.40. So I guess they will need several weeks to months to get a stable fw.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Could even take much longer than a month. Got replies as well today from Arcam. They are asking for more concret and detailed help over and over again. IMHO they don't have a clue where the problems rely on with v1.40. So I guess they will need several weeks to months to get a stable fw.
Anyone thinking Arcam are going to fix the HDA range to 100% perfection is either naïve or extremely over-wishful. One needs to simply observe their history with their FMJ range and the state they left that in - still with at least one major DTS bug, requiting an older FW accessible only through the community, or a hack to get passed it. And now, observe their HDA range, 8 months or so on. I firmly think that Arcam will never fix the HDA range fully. @tomcrown1, if that is the promise Arcam have made to you, that is very, very bold based on their history and the current utter mess the HDA range is in.

I really do want them to fix things - at least to a state where their loyal and out of pocket customers can enjoy their units safely and happily, stress free and unburdened.

Having found out what I think was causing one major bug, I have fortunately found success on 1.36 today, should it last. What is ridiculous is that fi I am correct, it took me over 2 months to realise what was causing this major bug:

- Intermittent Atmos track distortion at certain timestamps in most films with Atmos tracks:

A 1.36 filter being uploaded with Dirac 3.0.5 thereafter caused the above with and without Dirac on.

I think it is simple, if you have patience and do not feel hard done and out of pocket for it, wait. If not, and you have other options, I would return the unit. For me, I got a great deal and I am happy for now with being able to safely use my machine and actually enjoy some content. But again, every time I have said that in the past, a new bug or older one, as cropped up to smack me in the face.

Arcam should have nipped this in the bud by recalling units. But that time is long gone. The sad thing is seeing Arcam shift the blame onto the dealer indirectly, telling owner's they likely have a hardware fault, which is what I was told. Perhaps true, but I highly doubt it in my case, 7 + pages of bug reporting later. I know owners on the AVforums thread who have been through up to 3 units and the only thing that finally fixed their issues was... yes, firmware. I think for transparency and to improve their credibility and perception at this stage, Arcam/ Harman should be interviewed/ give a press release explaining the state of things and what they can honestly promise. But that will never happen.

I hope everyone gets to a stage whereby they are happy with their machines. Please keep reporting the bugs and don't keep replying or making new cases/ emails, because sadly their case system is appalling and will bump you down to the bottom of the list. They don't even assign unique case numbers for each email/ case. Arcam gives priority to the bugs most reported. Hence, I hadn't a chance in hell for my Atmos track distortion bug to be fixed if I didn't my self. Still waiting to see if Frans at Dirac helpdesk can hear the measurement tone distortion I often get in Dirac. Again, no one else I know has or has ever had this. So, if he can't hear it, I am stuck with it, unless a replacement machine fixes it. But I am forgoing that for now, because I fear a worse off unit (noisier/ hum - mine is dead silent in operation, more bugs etc).

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
We are going to be without a processor so our theater will be down, but we just cannot take the inconsistent reliability anymore of this processor, despite getting a great deal on it.
Thankfully I got a (relatively) great deal right before the October price increase.
With so many reporting getting great deals, isn't it safe to assume the official MSRP is just inflated and those deals are the actual realistic prices?
It seems to be a thread going through everything dealerships sell. Inflated price with extreme discounts at the register.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nature of the beast

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don’t think HDMI 2.1 will be a big thing. The next Olympics will be broadcast over the air in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound. The picture will be 4K 120HZ

This will make for a better picture than 8K. It may go the way of 3D

Link to FOMO from YouTube which explains ATSC 3.0

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
With so many reporting getting great deals, isn't it safe to assume the official MSRP is just inflated and those deals are the actual realistic prices?
It seems to be a thread going through everything dealerships sell. Inflated price with extreme discounts at the register.
Agree 100%. Never pay MSRP for Arcam. I'll pay MSRP all day for Monoprice because they give you the "deal" at their full retail prices.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Getting frustrated with my AV40. I have three ideas bouncing around if I sell my AV40. Notice upfront, I have an extensive vinyl collection, many of which aren’t available for streaming. Therefore a good analogue front end is useful even though I have a separate 2 channel system in a different room. Due to that I’ve ended up removing the Lyngdorf’s and Monoprice from my list. While my wife watches movies I listen to music and watch the news more.

While the Arcam smokes my previous Denon AVR-X7200WA for subjective sound, I miss the bulletproof operability and reliably of D&M. I owned a Denon for nearly 15 years and had a grand total of one issue. That said I’m debating a Marantz AV8805. Price wise I could sell the Arcam and basically but the Marantz, so a wash on cost. That’s option 1.

The second option is way more money, but a proven project. My dealer, who is awesome, feel bad about all the issues with the Arcam. He’s offering me a very, very good deal on a JBL SDP-75, which I’ve auditioned and is awesome but is beyond my ability to set up properly myself. So on top of it costing several multiples of what I can get on the used market for my AV40, I’d have to shell out some decent cash for professional setup.

The third option is also quite a bit of money, but less than the SDP-75. Its the new McIntosh MX170. I hate paying money for a name, but the features seem solid for both music and movie.

The rest of the system consists of a Sony OLED and JVC pj with an AT drop down as a dual screen setup, my VPI Prime Sig/Sutherland 20/20, an Auralic Aries streamer, a Zappiti Pro 4K and NASRip, an ATV4K, an OPPO UDP-203, and a PS4. The speakers are all JBL Synthesis and Revel, SCL-2’s, SCL-4’s for surrounds, and 5 Revel C763L’s for Atmos/DTS:X/Auro. Amps are ATI N-Cores for the mains and a Rotel for the Atmos heights. Subs are 4 x DeepSea Sounds Mariana 18s passive powered off a SpeakerPower SP2-12000, Asa front and rear pair each, and Seaton SubMersive HP’s as near field set up as a front/mid/rear setup. I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD if needed to use with the Marantz.

The room is a basement multimedia room that is also acoustically treated.

So, thoughts were you’d go and why if you were me? The Mac and JBL would have to wait a bit for me to save up some extra cash due to other projects going on. The Marantz I could do tomorrow.

I could also wait and hope for the AV40 to get it together, but the various, and changing, issues make it so my family doesn’t even want to use the system half the time and watch stuff off iPads. Which kills me spending as much as I did.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Agree 100%. Never pay MSRP for Arcam. I'll pay MSRP all day for Monoprice because they give you the "deal" at their full retail prices.
Mos def.
What I'm getting at is that this pricing technique has a good deal of psychological impact on the decision of buying something. "I got a great deal, had to jump on it" . While in reality, one may have paid what should have been the real price should it have been something sold by an ID brand or Amazon and not through a dealership. Sometimes you even end up feeling you agreed too early, something like "I got a big discount, but I still feel I got screwed". I dislike that kind of flexible pricing structures, someone always gets the short end of the stick and someone else more persistent pays less.

·
Registered
244 Posts
just found out with DTS sound there is no LFE with Dirac on, dolby and auto do have LFE
I have the same issue with my 5.2.4 setup with DBLC multisub.
I've reported the issue to Arcam support and supposedly they are aware of this. I hope they have a fix for it in next firmware.

I've a work around for this issue if you have Oppo Player. Change Audio from BitStream to PCM in Oppo. This will sent PCM to Arcam and you can the use Dolby Surround mode to play it.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I have the same issue with my 5.2.4 setup with DBLC multisub.
I've reported the issue to Arcam support and supposedly they are aware of this. I hope they have a fix for it in next firmware.

I've a work around for this issue if you have Oppo Player. Change Audio from BitStream to PCM in Oppo. This will sent PCM to Arcam and you can the use Dolby Surround mode to play it.
Is this related to multi-sub or DLBC? My setup which is 7.1.6 with Dirac Upmix was working fine with DTS LFE.

2481 - 2500 of 2612 Posts