AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 2611 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Getting frustrated with my AV40. I have three ideas bouncing around if I sell my AV40. Notice upfront, I have an extensive vinyl collection, many of which aren’t available for streaming. Therefore a good analogue front end is useful even though I have a separate 2 channel system in a different room. Due to that I’ve ended up removing the Lyngdorf’s and Monoprice from my list. While my wife watches movies I listen to music and watch the news more.

While the Arcam smokes my previous Denon AVR-X7200WA for subjective sound, I miss the bulletproof operability and reliably of D&M. I owned a Denon for nearly 15 years and had a grand total of one issue. That said I’m debating a Marantz AV8805. Price wise I could sell the Arcam and basically but the Marantz, so a wash on cost. That’s option 1.

The second option is way more money, but a proven project. My dealer, who is awesome, feel bad about all the issues with the Arcam. He’s offering me a very, very good deal on a JBL SDP-75, which I’ve auditioned and is awesome but is beyond my ability to set up properly myself. So on top of it costing several multiples of what I can get on the used market for my AV40, I’d have to shell out some decent cash for professional setup.

The third option is also quite a bit of money, but less than the SDP-75. Its the new McIntosh MX170. I hate paying money for a name, but the features seem solid for both music and movie.

The rest of the system consists of a Sony OLED and JVC pj with an AT drop down as a dual screen setup, my VPI Prime Sig/Sutherland 20/20, an Auralic Aries streamer, a Zappiti Pro 4K and NASRip, an ATV4K, an OPPO UDP-203, and a PS4. The speakers are all JBL Synthesis and Revel, SCL-2’s, SCL-4’s for surrounds, and 5 Revel C763L’s for Atmos/DTS:X/Auro. Amps are ATI N-Cores for the mains and a Rotel for the Atmos heights. Subs are 4 x DeepSea Sounds Mariana 18s passive powered off a SpeakerPower SP2-12000, Asa front and rear pair each, and Seaton SubMersive HP’s as near field set up as a front/mid/rear setup. I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD if needed to use with the Marantz.

The room is a basement multimedia room that is also acoustically treated.

So, thoughts were you’d go and why if you were me? The Mac and JBL would have to wait a bit for me to save up some extra cash due to other projects going on. The Marantz I could do tomorrow.

I could also wait and hope for the AV40 to get it together, but the various, and changing, issues make it so my family doesn’t even want to use the system half the time and watch stuff off iPads. Which kills me spending as much as I did.
I could be 100% wrong on this as I have not followed the MX170 at all but is it still based on the Lyngdorf? To my understanding McIntosh added a good ADC to previous versions but everything gets converted to digital for processing. Honestly don’t know if there is an analog only path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I could be 100% wrong on this as I have followed the MX170 at all but is it still based on the Lyngdorf? To my understanding McIntosh added a good ADC to previous versions but everything gets converted to digital for processing. Honestly don’t know if there is an analog only path.
You may be right. The dealer I was talking to about the MX170 said it has an analog pass through, but I don’t see any mention of it on McIntosh’s website or in the literature.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone here ever had distorted measurement tones in Dirac? Sounds like gain added to the tone, harsh and rough - and sounds dangerous for the drivers, too. No one on AVforums has had it, I am the only one. It only ever happens to speakers connected to my P429. Not sure if it is a hardware fault or FW. Seems to be most frequent on 1.36. Sent Frans at Dirac helpdesk the project files, he should be able to hear them, I hope. He said he could not last time but I think he was listening to the wrong project file (one from 1.40 that had static pops before/ after each speaker tone, which he did hear).

Just tried to run a new cal on 1.36 with 3.0.9 but can't due to this issue. For the first time ever, distorted tones came out of front right wide, top left height and top right height consecutively. Next sweep it was just top left height I think. Besides a possible hardware fault, I am thinking if it could be FW in conjunction with my P429? As effected speakers are only speakers connected to my P429. My usual trick of choosing another point and measuring that and then selecting the actual point I want to measure that is giving me issue, is not working. Tried 3 times. I am quite positive that the distortion is worse/ more frequent on 1.36.

Is there a way we can convert these project files to WAV to share on the threads? Dirac are able to convert them.

I managed to make a decent recording of the distortion. Please note, the pops afterward might be me trying to stop the recording. Sounds worse and more distorted in person (phone/ phone mic is poor quality) but it gives a good impression of what it sounds like.

EDIT: [link deleted].

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,504
For those that are complaining about the Arcam AVRs being buggy, what setups are you using? Are you e.g. using "complex" 9.1.6 setups? Is there anyone using a more basic 5.1 setup that still is having issues?

·
Registered
950 Posts
For those that are complaining about the Arcam AVRs being buggy, what setups are you using? Are you e.g. using "complex" 9.1.6 setups? Is there anyone using a more basic 5.1 setup that still is having issues?
I have issues. I don’t know if lock ups have anything to do with speaker setup. I went back to 1.36 and no lock up on the input my satellite box is hooked up to.

I have front right center front left surround left surround left top front left height speaker top front right height speaker left subwoofer and right subwoofer

On 1.36 no lockup issues. Thou I have changed my left and right subs from channel 14 and 15 into the LIFE channel which on Arcam is on LFE channel with a splitter.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,506
I have issues. I don’t know if lock ups have anything to do with speaker setup. I went back to 1.36 and no lock up on the input my satellite box is hooked up to.

I have front right center front left surround left surround left top front left height speaker top front right height speaker left subwoofer and right subwoofer

On 1.36 no lockup issues. Thou I have changed my left and right subs from channel 14 and 15 into the LIFE channel which on Arcam is on LFE channel with a splitter.
Ok, but you forgot to mention the main question I was asking about, i.e. what setup are you using (5.1, 9.1.6...)?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a 5.1.2 setup, and did NOT experience most of the issues mentioned here. I did not have any of the distortion issues with DLBC (Upmix) or with Atmos tracks that seemed to plague most others. Firmware 1.34 and 1.36 was quite stable for me, and only had the occasional pop when changing sound format - mostly with DTS sources. I have been traveling and have not tried 1.40 yet

·
Registered
244 Posts
just found out with DTS sound there is no LFE with Dirac on, dolby and auto do have LFE
Is this related to multi-sub or DLBC? My setup which is 7.1.6 with Dirac Upmix was working fine with DTS LFE.
Its related to DBLC specifically. I cannot use Upmix with my setup as Dirac filters have huge nulls. I have 2 different subs SVS SB16 Ultra & JTR Cap S2 located at asymmetrical location. DBLC works perfect and I get a perfect flat sub response.
I reported this issue after I installed 1.36 and was told it was worked on but unfortunately issue persists with 1.40 even though the release note below said it was fixed.
IMS22036: No LFE from DTS HD MA, with 7.1.6 speaker layout & Dirac EQ.
I guess it maybe for non-DBLC and single sub setup
Lets hope its fixed in next firmware.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Do we have any idea as to when the next firmware will be released that fixes the multiple regressions from 1.40?
Is it a month wait again?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Do we have any idea as to when the next firmware will be released that fixes the multiple regressions from 1.40?
Is it a month wait again?

I have been told by my dealer at least six weeks due to the firmware being written in Korea & then sent to the UK team to be tested, if any bugs are found they then get fed back to Korea & the process starts over.

You can see why with this system it takes so long & because its a third party writing the firmware & not Arcam themselves they are powerless to make changes on the fly to fix even minor problems.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Its related to DBLC specifically. I cannot use Upmix with my setup as Dirac filters have huge nulls. I have 2 different subs SVS SB16 Ultra & JTR Cap S2 located at asymmetrical location. DBLC works perfect and I get a perfect flat sub response.
I reported this issue after I installed 1.36 and was told it was worked on but unfortunately issue persists with 1.40 even though the release note below said it was fixed.
IMS22036: No LFE from DTS HD MA, with 7.1.6 speaker layout & Dirac EQ.
I guess it maybe for non-DBLC and single sub setup
Lets hope its fixed in next firmware.
IMS22036 was my bug :) It is for Dirac Upmix with 7.1.6. The test tone which failed before it was fixed were the Auro/DTSHD tones sweeps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi everyone, I had a strange experience with the general firmware upload last night. I had 2 different sources of the FW 1.36 and loaded them on different USB sticks and thus updated the Arcam. One version only caused endless errors. The other, in turn, was completely error-free (here it was necessary to reset everything before starting the update). I repeated this 2 times so that it wasn't just a coincidence ... Now the question is open to me whether there are different FW versions for the 1.36 or whether it is maybe even due to the different USB sticks (500MB vs 4GB) ...
However, I am satisfied with the 1.36. No errors currently recognizable. Perhaps I should mention that I didn't have to re-measure, but instead loaded an old project (from Dirac 3.0.3).

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have been told by my dealer at least six weeks due to the firmware being written in Korea & then sent to the UK team to be tested, if any bugs are found they then get fed back to Korea & the process starts over.

You can see why with this system it takes so long & because its a third party writing the firmware & not Arcam themselves they are powerless to make changes on the fly to fix even minor problems.
The firmware is written in Korea? That is pure nonsense no wonder Arcam can’t get this unit to work properly.

First off the various chips in the unit have their own quirks. IE the Ess Sabre needs to be programmed in a certain way. Then the HDMI board has its own set of chips the require their own set of instructions.

When you have your own software department your group can work with the software engineering dept of the chip maker to get code compabile with the chip architecture.

I don’t see a third party software firm working with the various chip manufactures to get the codes right.

Hopefully the Korean firmware team is owned by Harmony and my rant is for nothing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
IMS22036 was my bug :) It is for Dirac Upmix with 7.1.6. The test tone which failed before it was fixed were the Auro/DTSHD tones sweeps.
also no LFE with DTS with 1.40 on 5.2.4 (with all Dirac settings DLBC, up mix or no DLBC) The Sweeps worked on the LFE channels.

Also Dolby Atmos tracks take a very long time for the sound starts display keeps on changing from pcm to atmos for 30 seconds before the sound starts.

Were are you mailing the bugs? I mailed a few to Arcam support and never got a reply

·
Registered
950 Posts
also no LFE with DTS with 1.40 on 5.2.4 (with all Dirac settings DLBC, up mix or no DLBC) The Sweeps worked on the LFE channels.

Also Dolby Atmos tracks take a very long time for the sound starts display keeps on changing from pcm to atmos for 30 seconds before the sound starts.

Were are you mailing the bugs? I mailed a few to Arcam support and never got a reply
I got a bug on my 5.2.2 system on 1.40 as the unit will freeze every time I watch TV. I have may Sattelite hooked up to the optic hookup and it freezes.

It may not Freeze using Earc or on the coaxil digital

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

I'm using the arcam.support at Harman email. I usually get an immediate ticket reference number and then a response after 1-2 weeks, sometimes they replicate the bug immediately and other times they need more info or time. Once they replicate the bug they give the IMS reference it is logged under and fix time then depends then on perceived importance. I have successfully initiated approx 15 bug fixes since December; best response time was 3 weeks to firmware fix after bug replicated but a few of the obscure bugs I logged and they replicated are not resolved after 9 months.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm using the arcam.support at Harman email. I usually get an immediate ticket reference number and then a response after 1-2 weeks, sometimes they replicate the bug immediately and other times they need more info or time. Once they replicate the bug they give the IMS reference it is logged under and fix time then depends then on perceived importance. I have successfully initiated approx 15 bug fixes since December; best response time was 3 weeks to firmware fix after bug replicated but a few of the obscure bugs I logged and they replicated are not resolved after 9 months.
That is [email protected] ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a bug on my 5.2.2 system on 1.40 as the unit will freeze every time I watch TV. I have may Sattelite hooked up to the optic hookup and it freezes.

It may not Freeze using Earc or on the coaxil digital

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
I have a similar problem. You should report it to Arcam. If no or few reports it, it gets low priority - at best.

I reported mine (seems related to the audio format changing between stereo pcm and Bitstream 5.1 dolby surround as you change channel). They replied after 6 days that it was an atypical problem, opposite of my impression from this thread.

Setting the TV to output only stereo pcm has stopped my crashes, but it is not a long term solution.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,520
I reported mine (seems related to the audio format changing between stereo pcm and Bitstream 5.1 dolby surround as you change channel). They replied after 6 days that it was an atypical problem, opposite of my impression from this thread.
Regardless if it’s an atypical problem or not, if it’s a bug it should be fixed, right? (Then prio can be discussed, but that’s another story.)

Or did they just admit it was a bug but disregarded it as atypical/uncommon, and therefore was not going to fix it?

2501 - 2520 of 2611 Posts