AVS Forum banner

3361 - 3380 of 3459 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm thinking of putting a system together with AV40 + PA240 + PA720. Is anyone using the PA (720, 240, for 410) amps? I can't seem to find any experiences or reviews on these. If not, what would be a good amp(s) to pair with the AV40? I have a GoldenEar 7.4.4 setup, with GE One.R and XXL up front, Three+ on sides and Fives in the SB position and using LFE on all internal subs and 4 (unknown, came with house) ceiling Atmos speakers. I'm looking for a warmer, sweeter sound with as much detail as possible. Suggestions welcome :).
re. PA410. I have found this to be a very solid and quite cool running amp. It’s pretty dynamic and more than enough for heights. The toroidal transformer is virtually silent.

There is a firmware to update to resolve a speaker noise on powering up. Also, I found that in my environment at least the AVR20 outputs some horrible ground loop interference (which I never experienced when testing the PA410 with an Anthem MRX).

I really like the PA410 (having owned a 4 channel Arcam G class PA in the past which sounded like I had put an old fridge in the room it was so noisy, this does the job just as well for heights.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I changed from xlr to rca updated my av40 to 1.46 running with pa720 and InterM 2ch amp for my back heights on a 5.1.4 System , the hum or i would describe like a shhhhh or a low pink noise is mostly gone but the high tone like a high piiieeeep is louder now, i Feel in stereo it is just a bit muffling then before, but on movies i think is more dynamic as before.
So but i want to go back on xlr when my 2 Ch hypex is arriving in 2 weeks to see what happens with the ground loop i think i have, because the hypex amp is a grounded one.....

And did u have class G before the hypex? Do u have any comparsions or xperience in the difference? Because i loved the hypex in the nad t778, specialy on movies, stereo musik i like more the class G , so i think about to change the PA720 to a Class D hypex one.......but i like the fact in music playing low level and had no feeling i miss something on details . But i felt xlr more direct on stereo.
I'm using all Hypex 502 and 252 amps. When running XLR there was a shhhh type noise from each tweeter which I could hear about 9-12 inches from the tweeter (Ear had to be in line with tweeter). With RCA I need to have my ear about 2 inches from the tweeter to hear anything which make it academic in my opinion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm using all Hypex 502 and 252 amps. When running XLR there was a shhhh type noise from each tweeter which I could hear about 9-12 inches from the tweeter (Ear had to be in line with tweeter). With RCA I need to have my ear about 2 inches from the tweeter to hear anything which make it academic in my opinion.
Are the hxpex grounded?
Jeah the shhhh noise i got it with xlr too but i only hear it weh going close with my ear to the tweeter but there was a piep noise too, now its only the piep noise but louder, i want to go back to xlr i think, i dont know just to try out when my 2 Ch hypex arrived to see how it affect when xlr are plugged into a grounded device.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Are the hxpex grounded?
Jeah the shhhh noise i got it with xlr too but i only hear it weh going close with my ear to the tweeter but there was a piep noise too, now its only the piep noise but louder, i want to go back to xlr i think, i dont know just to try out when my 2 Ch hypex arrived to see how it affect when xlr are plugged into a grounded device.
They have a 3 pin plug if that is what you mean.

I guess you will need to experiment and see for yourself. I don't get any other noises so when using RCAs my system has a good noise floor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi everyone , would like to ask when using the CD direct function with the analog RCA input , will the signal bypass the AD/DA conversion of my AV40?

Thank

·
Registered
108 Posts
This noise your taking about , can this be software related , or is it hardware..?

I have also noticed less hum in my speakers using rca kontra XRL cables on my SDP-55...

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
This noise your taking about , can this be software related , or is it hardware..?

I have also noticed less hum in my speakers using rca kontra XRL cables on my SDP-55...
As far as I can tell it is hardware related. The AV40 and SDP-55 use an RCA to XLR conversion board so it is normal for the RCA outputs to perform better (Unless it is a very long 5M+ cable run).

·
Registered
108 Posts
As far as I can tell it is hardware related. The AV40 and SDP-55 use an RCA to XLR conversion board so it is normal for the RCA outputs to perform better (Unless it is a very long 5M+ cable run).
Ok , sorry to here - that's not good enough , since I have not the same experience with other pre and use of XLR cables. In this pricerange , this should be better.
But the most important is the sound offcource , and that is amazing :)

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Ok , sorry to here - that's not good enough , since I have not the same experience with other pre and use of XLR cables. In this pricerange , this should be better.
But the most important is the sound offcource , and that is amazing :)
I took some measurement of my AV40 with a Focusrite Forte. The XLR section is fine but the RCA outputs perform better. These results are unweighted with 3 HDMI devices connected (Including HTPC), power amps connected and some not so neat wiring so very much real world.

RCA at 2V / Vol 79:
97dB THD+n
107dB Dynamic Range

XLR at 2V / Vol 73:
89dB THD+n
97dB Dynamic Range

XLR at 4V / Vol 79:
94dB THD+n
103dB Dynamic Range

·
Registered
80 Posts
They have a 3 pin plug if that is what you mean.

I guess you will need to experiment and see for yourself. I don't get any other noises so when using RCAs my system has a good noise floor.
Yeah i mean that, the av 40 has the same plug but only 2 pins

Thats mean, i have this piiiiep high tone, like a coile wine ( Google translator) ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I took some measurement of my AV40 with a Focusrite Forte. The XLR section is fine but the RCA outputs perform better. These results are unweighted with 3 HDMI devices connected (Including HTPC), power amps connected and some not so neat wiring so very much real world.

RCA at 2V / Vol 79:
97dB THD+n
107dB Dynamic Range

XLR at 2V / Vol 73:
89dB THD+n
97dB Dynamic Range

XLR at 4V / Vol 79:
94dB THD+n
103dB Dynamic Range
Thanks for info :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi guys, when the arcam is protected, what is it due to? Arcam does not declare real power and has more power than Japanese avr? In my previous arcam it was protected if it went from 70 in the volume and today it has returned to protect me to 75 in the volume ... what is happening? Is it protected so as not to damage my speakers or is it that it doesn't have enough power? This protection is scratching me a lot because then why do you buy a powerful 3k avr to be limited? My boxes are 8ohm 86db and 100w rms monitor, where is the problem? My experience with this av is coming to an end and look, I'm in love with the sound but neither my 7013,8500h nor nad t778 presented this problem ... any advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new AVR 20 and problems with the sound output, no sound I can only listen to the TV with the HDMI Audio to TV setting on. This happens when the incoming format in the generell setup section shows no information. When I see information there the sound is working. Anybody has an idea what the problem /fix could be. Thx

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,376 ·
I tried again this morning and I can still reproduce the Dirac calibration problem described in this post with FW v1.46.

I've isolated the problem to this (in the AVR20:s current state): If I have the TV turned on and it's connected to the "Output 1 (eARC)" HDMI port on the AVR20, then I get the problem. But if I have the TV turned off, then I do not get the problem.

To reproduce it:
1. Connect the TV to the "Output 1 (eARC)" HDMI port on the AVR20.
2. Turn on the TV and AVR20, and listen to the live TV audio.
3. Start Dirac Live on your PC and connect to the AVR20. The AVR20 enters Dirac calibration state.
4. Notice that noise starts to play immediately from front left speaker (and it's not "white calibration noise", but "choppy" noise with "clicks"). You then also get all the subsequent issues as described in this post.

Is this a known problem? Anyone else that can reproduce it on FW v1.46?
A status update: I reported the issue above to the Arcam UK support on 2021-03-14, and asked if they could reproduce it, and if so fix it. No response. Sent a reminder approximately two weeks afterwards. No response. So three weeks in total since originally reported. Still no nothing.

Is it normal for Arcam to take this long to respond? :(

3361 - 3380 of 3459 Posts