AVS Forum banner

3381 - 3400 of 3459 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I’m down to either the Nad T778 or the Arcam avr20. How is the hdmi pass through and hdmi switching on the Arcam? Any thoughts on the above choice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
How does the Arcam av40 compares to the Monoprice HTTP-1 in terms of sound quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I’m down to either the Nad T778 or the Arcam avr20. How is the hdmi pass through and hdmi switching on the Arcam? Any thoughts on the above choice would be greatly appreciated.
Hello, I have had both and I liked the avr20 more in stereo and cinema I liked it a little more, with neither of them you are wrong they are very good avr although I have had quite a few problems with the arcam in my room due to problems in the room itself !

·
Registered
563 Posts
My AVR20 works flawlessly now with 1.46 firmware and I do think AVR20 is the better receiver. It has more processing power and the ability to use Dirac Live Bass control which is good and could be great as its a work in progress

I can really vouch for an AVR20

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
How does the Arcam av40 compares to the Monoprice HTTP-1 in terms of sound quality?

I've not had a chance to compare with the HTP-1. I will say that functionally and reliability wise they seem very similar. Arcam has more streaming support, OSD, CI / custom control support and CH/VOG speaker support. Monoprice has manual EQ and a macro engine for control.

I believe @dlinsley has had both the AV40 and HTP-1 so might be able to comment on sound differences. One or 2 other members have likely had both too.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I have a new AVR 20 and problems with the sound output, no sound I can only listen to the TV with the HDMI Audio to TV setting on. This happens when the incoming format in the generell setup section shows no information. When I see information there the sound is working. Anybody has an idea what the problem /fix could be. Thx
Same issue with av40... it's in for repair so we'll see I guess

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can also vouch for the AVR20 sound though my comparison is the NAD T777. It’s a great sounding piece of kit, wide sound field, great effects steering that just lights up our room, and whilst the NAD is excellent in Stereo, the Arcam beats it.

My only concern is longevity of the Arcam vis a vis deterioration through ineffective cooling and some residual bugs though they appear to have worked hard to get the appalling initial software release sorted. (Also in my case I can’t use it in a 5.x.4 set up using upfiring Atmos enabled speakers as the processing isn’t updated on the Arcam yet.)

(BTW Martyn at Superfi UK did an awesome deal for me for the AVR20 + PA410 at £3400 new.)

hard to resist the Arcam sound when everything else works.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I believe @dlinsley has had both the AV40 and HTP-1 so might be able to comment on sound differences. One or 2 other members have likely had both too.
Unfortunately they were two months apart (Feb/March '20 for HTP-1 and then I got the AV40 around April/May), and I mostly returned the HTP-1 due to an idiosyncratic volume control. I found the HTP-1 a little dry for my taste - with or without Dirac - but that was likely something that a room curve could have fixed with some more time to experiment. I just had limited return window and at the time the volume control drove me nuts. Other than the various bugs at different releases, the AV40 has sounded great out of the box (and later with working Dirac).

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Unfortunately they were two months apart (Feb/March '20 for HTP-1 and then I got the AV40 around April/May), and I mostly returned the HTP-1 due to an idiosyncratic volume control. I found the HTP-1 a little dry for my taste - with or without Dirac - but that was likely something that a room curve could have fixed with some more time to experiment. I just had limited return window and at the time the volume control drove me nuts. Other than the various bugs at different releases, the AV40 has sounded great out of the box (and later with working Dirac).
Many thanks! This info is quite useful. I will buy the Av40 soon.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've not had a chance to compare with the HTP-1. I will say that functionally and reliability wise they seem very similar. Arcam has more streaming support, OSD, CI / custom control support and CH/VOG speaker support. Monoprice has manual EQ and a macro engine for control.

Many thanks! I will buy the Av40 soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, what arcam did you have? I have a denon 8500h that sounds great but I always lack something there are days that I freak out with the sound and others it seems flat! My room is really screwed up and I just got an avr20 to test dirac and hope to see an improvement.
sorry for the late response. I got the AVR20 + PA410 fir £3.4K and have had it for about 3 weeks. The first one I sent back. This second one is pretty well behaved. Imho, the whole sound field is just gorgeous, it’s a very talented product in both stereo and surround, but takes time and patience to get set up right. By comparison the Anthem I have owned was more reliable and usable and imho just as good for stereo music but not quite in surround. The Arcam delivers a bit more detail and presence and can really light up the listening space. But the Anthem is a fine product.

I’m interested to see how the 1140 compares as I still find Arcams hard to live with (slightly noisier toroidal hum, lack of 5.1.4 upfiring Atmos enabled speaker support, greater ground loop noise interference passed to power amp).

But that sound is very seductive...

·
Registered
Arcam AVR20, Elac UF5's (L&R), Elac CCu5, 2 Rel T/9i's
7 Posts
For those of you that use Roon, Arcam just had their AVR10, AVR20, AVR30, AV40, and SA30 Roon Ready certified! I just tested Roon with my AVR20, and it’s working flawlessly! Arcam’s product details shows that the above devices are Roon Ready too. I’m not sure if it did before, or not though. I haven’t seen any official announcement from Arcam, but I found an announcement from TheAbsoluteSound.com and linked it below.

ARCAM Models Add Roon Ready Status to Already Extensive Feature Lists - The Absolute Sound

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would try 5.1.4 with speaker type set to top. As mentioned earlier it will sound slightly different with Dolby and no different with DTS or Auro or Multichannel Stereo.
Thanks, very effective with Auro 3D for the majority of my Sky Atlantic viewing. I’m virtually back in Italy rewatching Gomorrah! Not tried with Atmos yet and need to think if I can hold out til end of the year for Arcam to support 5.x.4 Atmos enabled set up :)

But this receiver is such a sweet sound overall, and yes Arcam have finally moved on since the HDA AVR series first release and the FMJ series.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please help me to figure out how to download the calibration file when using dirac. I unknowingly did not load the AVRMicCal file during the first settings. When I found out that it needs to be loaded, I made new measurements with the loaded AVRMicCal, but I didn't like the result. The bass is very low and the overall volume is much lower. I use the microphone that comes with my AVR20. Tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please help me to figure out how to download the calibration file when using dirac. I unknowingly did not load the AVRMicCal file during the first settings. When I found out that it needs to be loaded, I made new measurements with the loaded AVRMicCal, but I didn't like the result. The bass is very low and the overall volume is much lower. I use the microphone that comes with my AVR20. Tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you!
your using the supplied mic, get a umik-1 and use the 90degree cal file that comes with it!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I just bought an AV40 and will receive it during the week. Is the included mic good enough for DIRAC live? or should I buy a Umik-1 or Umik-2 microphone?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
LG65inC8|Revel F206/C205/S206/C563|SVS sb2000x2|Arcam avr10|Emotiva basx500|panasonic db820|ATV4k
64 Posts
I just bought an AV40 and will receive it during the week. Is the included mic good enough for DIRAC live? or should I buy a Umik-1 or Umik-2 microphone?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Umik 1

3381 - 3400 of 3459 Posts