AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 2122 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am pleased to report that there are initial signs of MQA 192Khz working. AV40 as roon end point. As decoder and renderer. It played the Neil Diamond Song sung blue track very well, but struggled with a lot of static on another.
I am pleasantly surprised about the 2 ch performance. Really good. I am comparing this to a McIntosh C2600 pre-amp/DAC. Again, not a fair comparison. I have not put myself to a blind test, but one will be interesting.

I tested that the optical output works. This is useful if you want to use an external DAC or external 2-ch tube preamp. Anyone know if there are other digital outputs on the AV40 like a USB/SPDIF? I have not had time to test the under documented connectors in the back panel. It is a pity if it has only optical as we are limited to 92Khz.
Can the AV40 stream multichannel (5.1) flac via Roon without downmixing to 2.0? Also, can it playback DSD files via Roon?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can the AV40 stream multichannel (5.1) flac via Roon without downmixing to 2.0? Also, can it playback DSD files via Roon?
I have the AVR30, but I assume the inner workings are the same. I’m not sure if you’re talking about the AV40 as a Roon endpoint, but it can definitely render 5.1 FLAC without downmixing. I have a handful of 5.1 audio recordings and it plays them just fine. However, my Nucleus is plugged directly into the receiver via HDMI.

If you try to use the AVR30 as a Roon endpoint, it downmixes my 5.1 recordings to 2.0. I’m not sure about DSD files, as I don’t have any.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
The new ARCAMs were added to Logitech Harmony database.

Happy to see discrete commands for HDMI Out 1, 2 and 1&2.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
The new ARCAMs were added to Logitech Harmony database.

Happy to see discrete commands for HDMI Out 1, 2 and 1&2.
I assume that is the serial/network command as there isn't one using IR. A quick note for those people planning to use the Network/RS232 commands; some of them still aren't working. The 0.95 firmware enabled quite a few more but for example the post process status commands are not yet working nor are some of the additional IR commands which aren't used by the included remote.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
I assume that is the serial/network command as there isn't one using IR. A quick note for those people planning to use the Network/RS232 commands; some of them still aren't working. The 0.95 firmware enabled quite a few more but for example the post process status commands are not yet working nor are some of the additional IR commands which aren't used by the included remote.
My Denon X6500H remote has no HDMI MONITOR 1 and HDMI MONITOR 2 IR discrete commands but my Harmony Elite does and it does work over IR as I'm not controlling my Denon X6500H over IP. So I'm pretty sure it would be the same for the ARCAMs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up AVR 10 at Magnolia last week. I think it was the only copy they had in stock apart from the floor units. It was a return/open box so I got it for $1999. This baby sounds fantastic. I use it for 2.1 set up with BW CM towers. I used Rotel stereo amp + oppo before but decided to go with a single unit/AVR. This amp sounds much better than Rotel and the video quality is significantly better than with my old set up. Now, the wrinkles: 1/ channel tone works only for one channel (in 2 channel set up). 2/ Direct stereo does not produce any sound 3/ Some remote buttons were not responsive. I updated the firmware to the latest version and 1 and 2 are still the same (I don't care much for those tbh, I'm sure another update will fix those). Now, as far as 3 - the remote works. For the most part. I noticed that if some buttons stop working - I have to press the AMP button on the remote and everything works then. So, I'm not sure if that was something I had to do initially too. Overall, amazing amp for music, great video quality. Also, I have no sync problems when watching movies.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I picked up AVR 10 at Magnolia last week. I think it was the only copy they had in stock apart from the floor units. It was a return/open box so I got it for $1999. This baby sounds fantastic. I use it for 2.1 set up with BW CM towers. I used Rotel stereo amp + oppo before but decided to go with a single unit/AVR. This amp sounds much better than Rotel and the video quality is significantly better than with my old set up. Now, the wrinkles: 1/ channel tone works only for one channel (in 2 channel set up). 2/ Direct stereo does not produce any sound 3/ Some remote buttons were not responsive. I updated the firmware to the latest version and 1 and 2 are still the same (I don't care much for those tbh, I'm sure another update will fix those). Now, as far as 3 - the remote works. For the most part. I noticed that if some buttons stop working - I have to press the AMP button on the remote and everything works then. So, I'm not sure if that was something I had to do initially too. Overall, amazing amp for music, great video quality. Also, I have no sync problems when watching movies.
Needing to press the AMP button is intentional. Drove me crazy until I started digging.

The remote is intended to be a universal remote of sorts, so when you press UHD, or whatever input, it changes the programming on many of the buttons until you put the remote back into AMP mode.

The manual details all buttons active for each mode, it's like I'm back in school studying for an AVR exam.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep. You're right. Talked to Arcam today and they said it's a universal remote so anytime you select a different source it is meant to control it so if you want to go back and control the receiver you need to press the AMP button. I agree. It was frustrating.

Needing to press the AMP button is intentional. Drove me crazy until I started digging.

The remote is intended to be a universal remote of sorts, so when you press UHD, or whatever input, it changes the programming on many of the buttons until you put the remote back into AMP mode.

The manual details all buttons active for each mode, it's like I'm back in school studying for an AVR exam.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
From reading this post in this thread, it's indicated that the Arcam/JBL/AudioControl firmware is published on the same site, and seems to be very similar (roughly same size etc).

So this raises the question: What exactly is the difference between the current generation of Arcam/JBL/AudioControl AVRs? Are they more or less the same? At least functionality-wise?

Seems as they are sharing firmware to large degree, likely to share cost among the Harman/Samsung brands.

So in what respect do they differ? Hardware amplifier sections, transformers, ...? Enough to notice? Wouldn't it be more likely they share the same HW too to a large degree, to gain economy of scale, and save cost?

Is Arcam/JBL/AudioControl becoming similar to Marantz/Denon? :confused:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
From reading this post in this thread, it's indicated that the Arcam/JBL/AudioControl firmware is published on the same site, and seems to be very similar (roughly same size etc).

So this raises the question: What exactly is the difference between the current generation of Arcam/JBL/AudioControl AVRs? Are they more or less the same? At least functionality-wise?

Seems as they are sharing firmware to large degree, likely to share cost among the Harman/Samsung brands.

So in what respect do they differ? Hardware amplifier sections, transformers, ...? Enough to notice? Wouldn't it be more likely they share the same HW too to a large degree, to gain economy of scale, and save cost?

The differences, besides cosmetic and sales/distribution channels, as far as I have read are feature based.

Consider the Arcam as the base, the JBL adds in its cost; Dirac bass management module (multi sub I believe), Dante, different DAC (which becomes moot if I understand how Dante works, for people who will use it), Logic 16, and perhaps Auro (I cant figure out if Auro is or isn’t free on the Arcams).

AudioControl will have a different class amp (H vs G), and balanced inputs. I don’t know what software the AudioControl will include in the purchase price.

So for some the value is there. If you want balanced inputs, you go to AudioControl. If you want Dante, all the software bells and whistles, (and don’t want a la carte items), or must have a matching faceplate, here’s the JBL (which also looks the best, but that’s subjective).

A lot of Synthesis buyers are going to go for the JBL to match their systems. My friend is one, he just doesn’t like the fascia on the Arcam and can afford to be that picky.

So yes, these are badge engineered with just enough features to differentiate them for their sales channels and customer base.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts

Arcam and JBL is like Denon/Marantz as both are part of the same company (Harman/Samsung). The main difference between the two are the added features on the JBLs like Dante, metal speaker post (or gold plated outputs), better DACs and Logic16. Now AudioControl, while similar to the JBLs in terms of components quality and added features like XLR inputs, AudioControl units are Made in the USA and customer service is one of the best in the AV industry. The firmware for the three companies is done by ARCAM UK.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Where does Lexicon fit in the mix?
As far I know (could be wrong) Lexicon is not planing to release any new receivers/processors this time. Basically JBL will be handling this segment with the SDP-55 and SDR-35.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
There is no Lexicon this year. They decided to use the JBL branding this year which I agree with as it is better known than lexicon these days. At CEDIA they introduced new, lower cost JBL speakers (HDI-series) as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now, the wrinkles: 1/ channel tone works only for one channel (in 2 channel set up). 2/ Direct stereo does not produce any sound 3/ Some remote buttons were not responsive. I updated the firmware to the latest version and 1 and 2 are still the same (I don't care much for those tbh, I'm sure another update will fix those). Now, as far as 3 - the remote works. For the most part. I noticed that if some buttons stop working - I have to press the AMP button on the remote and everything works then. So, I'm not sure if that was something I had to do initially too. Overall, amazing amp for music, great video quality. Also, I have no sync problems when watching movies.
2. Stereo Direct
To listen to a pure analogue stereo input, press the
button. The Stereo Direct mode automatically bypasses all
processing and any surround functions. In direct mode,
digital processing is shut down to improve the sound quality
and reduces digital noise with the Receiver to an absolute
minimum.
Note: when Stereo Direct mode is selected, no bass
management is performed, meaning that bass signals will
not be redirected to a subwoofer.

Reactions: Meetloaf13

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone been able to install the v99 firmware ?
Getting no joy installing it via a USB stick as an error message stating missing file keeps popping up
Tried the IP address of the machine and managed to install the .swu file but not the .fw file ( error message saying something about a corrupted file )

·
Registered
347 Posts
Has anyone been able to install the v99 firmware ?
Getting no joy installing it via a USB stick as an error message stating missing file keeps popping up
Tried the IP address of the machine and managed to install the .swu file but not the .fw file ( error message saying something about a corrupted file )
Same here no go for me.

641 - 660 of 2122 Posts