AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 2063 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I updated both last night first try (after the failed attempt when I realized the .swu file wasn't actually on the USB stick )

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
+ It wont work if you don't get this right.

Also try inserting the USB stick whilst the Arcam is in standby before powerup and using a stick of 64GB or less is recommended.

1) I have upgraded previously to v89 + v95
2) I am using a 16Gb USB stick formatted in FAT32
3) The USB stick has been given a 'name'
4) It only has the AVRx0_system0v99.fw file on it (I have also tried with both files on - in which case, the unit only recognises the .swu file as it proceeds to the NET update)
5) It's driving me nuts as I can't figure out why

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
4) It only has the AVRx0_system0v99.fw file on it (I have also tried with both files on - in which case, the unit only recognises the .swu file as it proceeds to the NET update)
Have you tried inserting the usb stick whilst the Arcam is in standby and then powering up and starting the update?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
For those that have upgraded to firmware v0.99, what would you say the overall current state of the SW quality is?

E.g. does the AVR work ok for most use cases, and you only have some rarely occurring or corner case issues left? Also, for the remaining issues, are you sure it’s a bug and not a user error? Reading this forum thread it seems to be a bit of both for the problems that have been reported.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For those that have upgraded to firmware v0.99, what would you say the overall current state of the SW quality is?

E.g. does the AVR work ok for most use cases, and you only have some rarely occurring or corner case issues left? Also, for the remaining issues, are you sure it’s a bug and not a user error? Reading this forum thread it seems to be a bit of both for the problems that have been reported.

99 is first one where it is very usable, previously had major switching input issues, last 2 firmware releases it sometimes took me 10-15 minutes of fighting to switch inputs and get things working.

Used a fair amount this weekend and it worked well.

Still have 3 issues which I can easily work around.
- Pausing cable and resuming most of the time I have to toggle the audio mode button to get audio to play again.
- When toggling the audio mode if I select Stereo Down mix I often get a loud beep/buzz through all speakers. For awhile this was happening from cable over the Sat input but that has stopped and now mostly over eArc.
- Cannot get audio from PS4 over HDMI, just optical

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I ordered the baby of the family, the AVR10. It should be here on Monday. I'm coming from a Marantz SR7012. I hope Dirac isn't too far behind which is one of the reasons I bought it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the baby of the family, the AVR10. It should be here on Monday. I'm coming from a Marantz SR7012. I hope Dirac isn't too far behind which is one of the reasons I bought it.
Hello, everybody,

I have been reading the forum with interest for some time. This is my first post.
Recently I have the Arcam AVR20, which should replace a Denon 4500H incl. MiniDSP for the subwoofer, calibrated with REW, due to Dirac. Operation in 5.1 set, mostly B&W 7 series.

Unfortunately the AVR20 does not work for me at all, as it should.

When trying to update the software to version 99 only the firmware works, the second update "image.swu" usually ends with an error. Three times the fuse blew out during the update.

Listening to music via Airplay 2: If you listen louder the AVR20 switches off at some point (no extreme levels, volume 60). Furthermore the subwoofer is extremely quiet, with the Denon it was usually too loud.

When watching movies via Apple TV 4K, mode "DTS Neutral X": Loud, strange noises come from the surround speakers, mode cannot be used.

At the moment I'm very desperate with the AVR20- in addition it gets extremely warm on the top of the housing compared to the Denon. I'm worried about putting it in the lowboard (closed at the front and open at the back for ventilation).

Now I've put the Denon back into operation, hoping that the next update will work and I can use the Arcam for anything (except heating).

Sorry for my bad feedback on the new Arcam.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Hello, everybody,

I have been reading the forum with interest for some time. This is my first post.
Recently I have the Arcam AVR20, which should replace a Denon 4500H incl. MiniDSP for the subwoofer, calibrated with REW, due to Dirac. Operation in 5.1 set, mostly B&W 7 series.

Unfortunately the AVR20 does not work for me at all, as it should.

When trying to update the software to version 99 only the firmware works, the second update "image.swu" usually ends with an error. Three times the fuse blew out during the update.

Listening to music via Airplay 2: If you listen louder the AVR20 switches off at some point (no extreme levels, volume 60). Furthermore the subwoofer is extremely quiet, with the Denon it was usually too loud.

When watching movies via Apple TV 4K, mode "DTS Neutral X": Loud, strange noises come from the surround speakers, mode cannot be used.

At the moment I'm very desperate with the AVR20- in addition it gets extremely warm on the top of the housing compared to the Denon. I'm worried about putting it in the lowboard (closed at the front and open at the back for ventilation).

Now I've put the Denon back into operation, hoping that the next update will work and I can use the Arcam for anything (except heating).

Sorry for my bad feedback on the new Arcam.
So does this mean that you never managed to update the unit's firmware to v0.99? If so, I'd contact Arcam and focus getting that solved. Because if you do, many of the other issues you were having might be fixed by the later firmware.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So does this mean that you never managed to update the unit's firmware to v0.99? If so, I'd contact Arcam and focus getting that solved. Because if you do, many of the other issues you were having might be fixed by the later firmware.
To be honest, I am not sure whether it worked. In the IP-online menu it shows the 99 software. But whilst updating with USB in the second part was always an error. Maybe it worked with the online update, but not sure about it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You are all beta testers until firmware 1.0 arrives. It is a shame

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
Who knows if 1.0 will be the golden release. For all we know, if could fix the same or fewer bugs than going from 0.95 to 0.99.

Version 1.0 should bring Dirac though, as far as I understand. But there’s of course always a chance that Dirac will have some initial bugs too.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I ran into something for the first time this weekend with the AV40 (or, well, any avr or pre/pro before).

TL : DR version, some Ethernet cables can cause a hum on the AV40. Try removing or replacing that cable if you have a persistent hum and are running an Ethernet cable to your Arcam.

Long version:

Friday I was doing some work on my Wifi network and changed some cable to new Ethernet cables from Monoprice. When I was down I checked my network and everything seemed fine. The AV40 was there as were the rest of the items in network. I went to bed happily thinking that chore was done well.

Saturday afternoon my daughter came upstairs from where the theater room is and said she couldn’t get the sound to work. I went downstairs and discovered a terrible hum from every speaker in my system (7.3.5) which run off multiple separate amps.

I had no clue where it came from and started trouble shooting. I discovered that the hum went away when the AV40 was turned off. I then started freaking out as I hadn’t changed anything in the AV40, any audio cables, any settings, any firmware. I tried doing resets, reloading firmware, new interconnects to the amp. I even tried to figure out if I could somehow ground the AV40.

Finally, after everything else and in a bit of desperation I noticed the AV40 was hardwired into my network and thought about the cables I’d changed with my router, modem, and switch. One by one I swapped out the new cables with a spare and discovered that when I replaced the new cable from the Nest WiFi to the switch that the AV40 is wired to the hum went away completely.

The Ethernet cable in question was a Monoprice Entegrade Cat 8, 1 foot long, RJ45 connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ran into something for the first time this weekend with the AV40 (or, well, any avr or pre/pro before).

TL : DR version, some Ethernet cables can cause a hum on the AV40. Try removing or replacing that cable if you have a persistent hum and are running an Ethernet cable to your Arcam.

Long version:

Friday I was doing some work on my Wifi network and changed some cable to new Ethernet cables from Monoprice. When I was down I checked my network and everything seemed fine. The AV40 was there as were the rest of the items in network. I went to bed happily thinking that chore was done well.

Saturday afternoon my daughter came upstairs from where the theater room is and said she couldn’t get the sound to work. I went downstairs and discovered a terrible hum from every speaker in my system (7.3.5) which run off multiple separate amps.

I had no clue where it came from and started trouble shooting. I discovered that the hum went away when the AV40 was turned off. I then started freaking out as I hadn’t changed anything in the AV40, any audio cables, any settings, any firmware. I tried doing resets, reloading firmware, new interconnects to the amp. I even tried to figure out if I could somehow ground the AV40.

Finally, after everything else and in a bit of desperation I noticed the AV40 was hardwired into my network and thought about the cables I’d changed with my router, modem, and switch. One by one I swapped out the new cables with a spare and discovered that when I replaced the new cable from the Nest WiFi to the switch that the AV40 is wired to the hum went away completely.

The Ethernet cable in question was a Monoprice Entegrade Cat 8, 1 foot long, RJ45 connection.
Seems like the shield on the Cat8 cable could have been introducing a ground loop.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I would suggest to never run shielded cables unless you are a network professional. Use UTP cables.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #697
You are all beta testers until firmware 1.0 arrives. It is a shame
I have to add one more thing. From feedback from a user (danjpohl) that successfully upgraded to firmware v0.99:

99 is first one where it is very usable, previously had major switching input issues, last 2 firmware releases it sometimes took me 10-15 minutes of fighting to switch inputs and get things working. Used a fair amount this weekend and it worked well. [...]
So with v0.99 it seems to be quite usable after all. Some issues were reported by Infinity2012, but it was unclear if he successfully upgraded to v0.99.

In my opinion, issues should not be reported if not running the latest firmware. If there is a problem upgrading to the latest firmware, that should be reported to Arcam and is an issues in itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello.
Do you try with a 1 or 2 gb USB key ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still no joy with v99
Contacted ARCAM's support over 1week ago. They replied within 2 days asking for details.
Heard nothing since

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
Still no joy with v99
Contacted ARCAM's support over 1week ago. They replied within 2 days asking for details.
Heard nothing since
Is this regarding problems upgrading to firmware v0.99?

Also, have you sent Arcam any reminder asking for a status update? That should really not be needed in my opinion, but given the circumstances it might help.

681 - 700 of 2063 Posts