AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 2063 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #941
I just wonder is there is anyone using the AVR10/20/30 with a standard 5.1 setup and DiracLive (and do not use more complicated setups that this)? If so, with the v1.22 firmware, does it work well now you think, or are there still issues that needs to be fixed?

I'll only be using it for a 5.1 setup myself, so I'm wondering if it's stable enough to get now, or if I should wait a bit more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can someone of the AV-40 owners kindly check if it is possible to play DSD multichannel .dsf files through the Roon endpoint ? Having a wide collection of ripped SACD multichannel audio this would be a very important feature...
It is also unclear from the manual if it is possible to decode dsf files from a network location or from an usb, the manual doesn’t mention at all the DSD topic...

Thank you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just wonder is there is anyone using the AVR10/20/30 with a standard 5.1 setup and DiracLive (and do not use more complicated setups that this)? If so, with the v1.22 firmware, does it work well now you think, or are there still issues that needs to be fixed?

I'll only be using it for a 5.1 setup myself, so I'm wondering if it's stable enough to get now, or if I should wait a bit more.
This is exactly how I will use the AV40 as well, 5.1 or at best 5.2 but need 4K support for a future OLED TV update. Was wondering the same as I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new processor with DIRAC...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Got the AV40 2 weeks ago using newest firmware. Unit sounds great so far. Dirac worked fine although setting levels before measurering it sticks to the prevoiusly selected channel for a moment when going to the next. Does not happen during actual measurering.

My theater isnt finished and untreated but so far quite pleased.

Looking forward to the bass module and trying that out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just installed the AVR10 recently, Man what a ordeal coming from using a Denon for years, Spent a few hours just getting the HDMI working correctly, then trying to get sound to play, windows could see it but my speakers didn't anyway got over that hurdle
Spent ages setting up the distances, level and speaker type on the Google Chrome, but it kept resetting on me, tried it on my iPad on Chrome work like a charm:rolleyes::rolleyes:, Ended up just doing 5.1 as my heights were not working, will deal with that tomorrow.
I find the remote(ArcamControl) for the Ipad constantly loses connection, have to close and reopen to get working again.
Then came Dirac which was pretty painless tbh, getting the levels right was the hardest part, as noted just there, there was a delay between switching speakers for checking levels but measurements was very fast, a lot faster than Audyssey and nice to be using the Umik-1 as well.

So first impressions, I knew this was going to be an ordeal at first as it works a lot different to systems I have used before, So I was prepared for that. I used the Arcam house curve for now as I spent most of the day doing cable management and troubleshooting.
But this curve alone beats my Denon 3600 and the ones before in all the wacky settings I may have tried, I put on my personal favorite movie to see how the bass management went "Bladerunner 2049 12 mins" and several other scenes and man did it pass, and my MiniDsp isn't set up the best at the moment due to time.
I kept switching between Dirac on or Off and really showed how good Dirac and the AVR is.

So overall very impressed with the sound and can see real potential once I start going deeper, I have a couple of niggles but will reserve in saying anything yet, till I know the system better.

Edit: Sorry one thing, I'm getting serious ground loop noise that I have never had before with the Denon which is getting louder as the night goes on, subs and speakers

·
Registered
89 Posts

It is stable enough to do a measurement with your system. But it is all around not 100% stable. There are really some issues, which are being worked on. if you want to see the system grow up, it is a good moment now. 1.22 really seems to be doing much better in many ways and the next release shopuldn't be that long. But if you are depending on a 100% stable system, don't do it now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi,

Three Questions (AVR10)

1) Does any find the Arcam Control App for IOS keeps losing connection, I have the AVR connected through ethernet, it's kind of annoying since I keep the AVR in the other room

2) Does the Logitech Harmony have these new AVR's in the database, it didn't work for me, I used the map the buttons function, but not ideal

3) The big one for me, So I was getting bad humming from the subs, I use the MiniDSp to Eq them and phase align them, which I had a perfect FR. I took the MiniDsp out the chain and bingo zero humming ( sound like a ground loop issue). This only happens when the MiniDsp is set to Analog if set to USB the subs are fine, Something with the AVR and the MiniDsp is happening. Perhaps my gain is too high I don't know.

LOL I gain matched my subs to a lower output, which meant turning on off subs and vice versa, Did a full Dirac Cal, Then realized just now I forgot to turn on the left sub :eek::eek:

All in All I am getting the grips of this AVR, it's testing me to my limits, but results are paying off, my dialogue in movies is much clearer than I could ever get with Audyssey, and the new +6db boost filters on Dirac are perfect, I am starting to love this system, just takes time I suppose.

How do most people use this system remotely? I'm close to considering setting up the AVR under the Tv instead, only reason I have it in the other is there is no heating on and the room is nice a cool for my equipment

Thanks

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Can someone of the AV-40 owners kindly check if it is possible to play DSD multichannel .dsf files through the Roon endpoint ? Having a wide collection of ripped SACD multichannel audio this would be a very important feature...
It is also unclear from the manual if it is possible to decode dsf files from a network location or from an usb, the manual doesn’t mention at all the DSD topic...

Thank you.
I don't use Roon or the integrated music player but have just tested some of my music files in the integrated player. The integrated player only seems to support files on USB or various music streaming services.

Test Files:
CD FLAC - OK
24/176 Stereo FLAC - OK
24/96 5.1 FLAC - Detected OK as 6 channel but plays as stereo
DSD 1X Stereo DSF - Detected OK but get silence
DSD 1X 5.1 DSF - "Unsupported File"

The web integrated player is very basic but seems to work OK in the 5mins I used it, pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I am not sure if this has been already shared here on the thread.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
@SteveH

If you are still collecting info on bugs, my AV 40 running v1.22 is still giving me these issues:

1) Hiss came back with v1.20 and still there with v1.22. Using ATI N-Core amps and JBL SCL series speakers. It’s bad when no audio is running, say when pausing music or a movie, and then dies down a bit when content is on. I can hear it from my mlp about 9’ from the speakers. It comes through all channels.

2) Still getting a bit of “stickiness” with Dirac channel level settings. I will click on the new channel and it will play from the last channel tested half the time.

3) I get audio artifacts (pops/clicks/“digital” noises that remind me of old dial up modems) randomly pop up with Dirac on and hi-res (24/96, MQA, etc.) Audio streams when using my Auralic Aries and a coax digital cable for audio.

The only other major pain is getting my Harmony Elite to play nice, sometimes it does, other times it plays whack-a-mole with the AV40 powering on/off and not selecting inputs.

Overall v1.22 Is working for me, if those issues and the Auro/DTS-X Pro, and Dirac Bass Management Module were realer soon I may disappear for ages in my theater room.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
@SteveH

If you are still collecting info on bugs, my AV 40 running v1.22 is still giving me these issues:

1) Hiss came back with v1.20 and still there with v1.22. Using ATI N-Core amps and JBL SCL series speakers. It’s bad when no audio is running, say when pausing music or a movie, and then dies down a bit when content is on. I can hear it from my mlp about 9’ from the speakers. It comes through all channels.

2) Still getting a bit of “stickiness” with Dirac channel level settings. I will click on the new channel and it will play from the last channel tested half the time.

3) I get audio artifacts (pops/clicks/“digital” noises that remind me of old dial up modems) randomly pop up with Dirac on and hi-res (24/96, MQA, etc.) Audio streams when using my Auralic Aries and a coax digital cable for audio.

The only other major pain is getting my Harmony Elite to play nice, sometimes it does, other times it plays whack-a-mole with the AV40 powering on/off and not selecting inputs.

Overall v1.22 Is working for me, if those issues and the Auro/DTS-X Pro, and Dirac Bass Management Module were realer soon I may disappear for ages in my theater room.
1) I get the same at about 1ft max, its a very soft hiss quite different to a ground loop. I'm also using Hypex based NCore amps (Apollon and Nord), V0.99 didn't have it from memory. My AVP was dead silent although this problem was worse with an AV7705 and RS20I.
2) Get the exact same, everyone does.
3) This is almost certainly related to the high res source issues with Dirac, Arcam have a bug ticket open for this so hopefully it will be sorted in the next release.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Do any of you arcam guys have problems with arc converting atmos titles on Netflix. Mine has stopped and only supports Dolby Surround? Not sure if any of you are using this since you're all likely using projectors.

Plus I get chirping out of the left channel occasionally and some clicking or popping.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Arcam AVR10/20/30 & AV40 & PA240/410/720

@SteveH

Your issue is likely made worse by a software bug, but here is something to consider.

If you are using XLR outputs, try switching to RCA.

The Nord’s (At least the Hypex based amps) have a “max” input sensitivity of 2.52 Vrms. The AV40 balanced outputs have a “nominal” output sensitivity of 2 Vrms with a max of 10V. Background hiss is a typical side effect in such a case. There is an audioholics article that explains the math/science behind this.

The RCA outputs have an nominal output sensitivity of 1 Vrms, with a max of 5V. This leaves plenty of headroom to 2.52V, and should result in less hiss, as well as reduced clipping.

·
Registered
526 Posts
For any AVR10 and possible AVR20 users.
I moved my receiver to my main living room for convenience of the OSD, and lack of a good GUI on Screen.
I didn't notice this before as it was beside my Pc which had plenty of fans spinning.

Now it is in a much quiter envoirment and I find the receiver to be kind of loud when switched on. It's not a ground loop sound, just a low hum, easily heard from the MLP (82inches away).
Everything is working fine on the receiver no problems bar a few bugs mentioned already.
The noise does not increase or decrease just a steady hum. I assuming this is coming from the AMP itself, it's not coil whine.
Is this normal as I just bought this and can send it back if this is a issue.

I'm sure the AVR30 would be different giving that it has a different Amp inside.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Your issue is likely made worse by a software bug, but here is something to consider.

If you are using XLR outputs, try switching to RCA.

The Nord’s (At least the Hypex based amps) have a “max” input sensitivity of 2.52 Vrms. The AV40 balanced outputs have a “nominal” output sensitivity of 2 Vrms with a max of 10V. Background hiss is a typical side effect in such a case. There is an audioholics article that explains the math/science behind this.

The RCA outputs have an nominal output sensitivity of 1 Vrms, with a max of 5V. This leaves plenty of headroom to 2.52V, and should result in less hiss, as well as reduced clipping.
Thanks, I wasn’t aware of the max input sensitivity issue. I am using XLR’s, I will try with single-ended and see how it goes.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks for your help,
I pulled the trigger today so should have it after the weekend, I'm sure I'll figure out the multiple speaker setups, the I.P control looks very nice I have to say, nicely laid out
Looks like I'm part of the Dirac and Arcam club :):):):)
Thanks

How do most people use or integrate IP control for their processor ?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Thanks, I wasn’t aware of the max input sensitivity issue. I am using XLR’s, I will try with single-ended and see how it goes.
I tried this a few months ago, you get a 6db drop in levels and the hiss drops about 6db too. I haven't bothered changing to RCA yet as it doesn't affect me at the MLP in my setup and I don't want to buy new cables for a software issue that will hopefully be fixed. Have you reported this to Arcam?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
How do most people use or integrate IP control for their processor ?
Most will use the Android or IOS app. I'm using Command Fusion (It controls heating, all music sources, TVs, all lights and the alarm in my house) but this is a customised solution that needs quite a bit of time to implement and an understanding of a few concepts like regex and a little Javascript.

If you want professionally installed CI then Arcam offer Control 4 and Crestron support.

941 - 960 of 2063 Posts