AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear interweb people,

I'm searching for a new receiver which will replace my current Cambridge 351R. I've compared a lot of specifications, read hundreds of forum pages but I just can't seem to figure out what is best for me

My current 5.1 setup is:

TV Pioneer Kuro 1080p
Receiver Cambridge 351R
Fronts TDL Studio 2 modified with IPL aquistics S4TL drivers+filter and upgraded internal wiring
Center infinity CC2 soon to be replaced with IPL acoustics AVC3
Rear Cambridge SL20
Sub klipsch KSW-10 soon to be replaced with XTZ 12.17

My dad who is an audiophile recommended getting something with Dirac.

Now there are only a few options for me as I live in the Netherlands and not all brands are available. (Emotiva, Outlaw etc.)

Option 1 Arcam AVR 550 :

First problem is that there is only 1 crossover setting and I think I will need at least 2. My fronts go really low as they are transmission line speakers, center will go to about 40hz and rears 90hz (according to specs which I highly doubt) and I really want to avoid getting bigger rears.
I could bypass this by setting FCR to large and only apply a crossover to the rears but I don't know if that is such a good idea.
Second problem is that this unit only does 8 ohm. I'm upgrading all the time (means get old stuff from my dad) and I would like to be able to run 4 ohm speakers in the future. I know there is a secret setting which enables you to loosen up the protection threshold, but I have no idea if this eliminates the problem. I know I could add a power amp later on, but Arcam power amps are really expensive and this option already is the most expensive of the 3.

Option 2 NAD T758v3 + power amp :

First problem with this option is that I prefer an all in one solution as my space is limited. I also dislike the fact that the 758 doesn't have a toroidal transformer even though it only has to power the rears and center.
Second problem is that NAD used to be quite bad when it comes to surround in terms of reliability and quality of components. I've seen 787's burst into flames when driven hard ( no joke )
Also the amount of HDMI inputs is very limited.

Option 3 NAD T777v3

This shares the problem with the 758 that I'm not really convinced about the quality of the components. I've seen internal pictures and it does have a toroidal transformer which is good, however I've got the feeling all the hardware besides the MCD modules is unaltered since v1.
Second problem is that I've read the 777v3 is hardly an upgrade in terms of sonic performance over the 758v3. I believe a 758 with a power amp would give better performance for the same price.

So what would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I've narrowed it down to either the T777v3 or the Arcam AVR550. They T758 + amp doesn't offer enough HDMI inputs and I would really like to have a all in one solution.

The Arcam is a little bit more expensive but I really just want the best quality i can get.

I listen to 70% music 30% movies

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I've narrowed it down to either the T777v3 or the Arcam AVR550. They T758 + amp doesn't offer enough HDMI inputs and I would really like to have a all in one solution.

The Arcam is a little bit more expensive but I really just want the best quality i can get.

I listen to 70% music 30% movies

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I know you want to try Dirac for room correction but another option would be to look at Anthem. I purchased a Arcam AVR550 from Best Buy Magnolia Design Center. I had problems with using Dirac. The first problem happened half way through the test tones for the set up phase, I would get the following error: Processing captured data completed with errors: CHECREC_TOO_MANY_CLIPPED_SAMPLES. I had to reduce the speaker level from the recommended setting to complete test tone recordings. Then once I had completed the Dirac corrections the Arcam was no longer visible on the network and I received the following error: DSP server processing failed: Server communication failed, please check your internet connection and try again. I had the Arcam connected directly to my router (Asus RT-AC3100). The salesman at Best Buy was unable to assist me with my issues and there is no telephone number for Arcam support. I emailed Arcam support and never received a reply back. To Best Buys credit the salesman was able to contact Arcam and described my problems with setting up Dirac. Best Buy advised that I pay for their installers to come out and setup Dirac at my house. I have setup Audssey, Pioneer MCAAC , and now Anthem ARC room correction with no issues.

Onto the positive, like you I use my system in my man cave setting (see signature below) I was transitioning from a Denon AVR-4311CI and wanted to increase my two channel (music ) listening. I listen to 85% music and 15 % movies. There was a increase in music fidelity over the Denon when I installed the Arcam and if I did not experience the difficulties with Dirac setup and not being able to contact Arcam via telephone for support I would have kept the Arcam. The search continued and using this forum and Avforum the members advised me to consider Anthem. I went with a Anthem AVM60 since I already have amps. Setup of the Anthem was easy with no issues and the sound quality was outstanding. While cost was not the driving factor in my purchase it was nice that Anthem has a 20% discount when you trade in a older AV product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you want to try Dirac for room correction but another option would be to look at Anthem. I purchased a Arcam AVR550 from Best Buy Magnolia Design Center. I had problems with using Dirac. The first problem happened half way through the test tones for the set up phase, I would get the following error: Processing captured data completed with errors: CHECREC_TOO_MANY_CLIPPED_SAMPLES. I had to reduce the speaker level from the recommended setting to complete test tone recordings. Then once I had completed the Dirac corrections the Arcam was no longer visible on the network and I received the following error: DSP server processing failed: Server communication failed, please check your internet connection and try again. I had the Arcam connected directly to my router (Asus RT-AC3100). The salesman at Best Buy was unable to assist me with my issues and there is no telephone number for Arcam support. I emailed Arcam support and never received a reply back. To Best Buys credit the salesman was able to contact Arcam and described my problems with setting up Dirac. Best Buy advised that I pay for their installers to come out and setup Dirac at my house. I have setup Audssey, Pioneer MCAAC , and now Anthem ARC room correction with no issues.

Onto the positive, like you I use my system in my man cave setting (see signature below) I was transitioning from a Denon AVR-4311CI and wanted to increase my two channel (music ) listening. I listen to 85% music and 15 % movies. There was a increase in music fidelity over the Denon when I installed the Arcam and if I did not experience the difficulties with Dirac setup and not being able to contact Arcam via telephone for support I would have kept the Arcam. The search continued and using this forum and Avforum the members advised me to consider Anthem. I went with a Anthem AVM60 since I already have amps. Setup of the Anthem was easy with no issues and the sound quality was outstanding. While cost was not the driving factor in my purchase it was nice that Anthem has a 20% discount when you trade in a older AV product.
I've also taken Anthem into consideration. However my budget will only stretch towards the Anthem MRX720. And this model is disappointing when it comes to amplification. They've switched the toroidal transformer which was in the 710 to a normal one. I've also seen tests where in multi channel the 720 performs very poorly.

The hardware side is very import to me. I would buy the Cambridge CXR-200 in a heart beat if it had any room correction what so ever and HDR support, that thing is an absolute beast when i comes to power and amplification quality.

I'm currently trying to get a fairly "new" second hand Arcam AVR-850 with manufacturers warranty. fingers crossed i get it ! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is curious nobody mentioned that the NAD T777 and T758 have bluos module, which makes the nad a Roon ready endpoint. I don’t believe the Arcam has this....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts