AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Arcam CD27 CD player has 2 problems both acknowledged by Arcam themselves.I bought this machine a few weeks ago and found the 1st problem. CDs and any music streamed using the Arcams media player jumped into the track by a fraction of a second,60 mili seconds to be precise (a bit like somebody knocking a turntable and the needle jumps slightly).It gets very very distracting after a while.Any track that starts off quiet you may not notice but play a CD like The beatles red album where the tracks start off loud and you will notice.Horrible to say the least.A firmware update at some time in the future will be available.
Problem 2....Certain CDS but probably not many (i have only found one so far) but i still have a good 1500 to check yet may come up as a DTS-CD on the display and will not output any sound at all.This is crazy as the CD in question plays on all four of my other players including an early Arcam from 10 years ago my Audiolab CD8200 my Marantz CD6005 and Maranze midi system.Arcam are still shipping these machines out here in the UK as far as i know.According to Arcam this is not a one off problem.The display model at my local HIFI shop has the same problem.It is a great machine but for these two very annoying problems.I am hoping it gets sorted out soon otherwise the machine will be returned :(

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Thank you for the update. I came very close to buying one of these. I had it on order but changed my mind. I have an Oppo 105 and I think it does a better job on SACDs. I am still looking for a great dedicated SACD player and may go with the Marantz SA11S3 or if I want to leave my kids no inheritance, I will go for the Esoteric K-05. While the CDS-27 plays SACDs, it kinda really doesn't as the DAC is a PCM chip and not a DSD chip.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Thanks! for sharing- BROMHEAD.
it is imperative to list both positive & negative experiences w/ products and their respective companies. Hope Arcam customer service helps you. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
On going problems not mentioned + fixes from ARCAM

I've owned mine since march this year. I've given up finding a DLNA that is useable. Problems that not all file types that will play ok by USB i.e mp3 flac can be streamed from my pc via the DLNA'setc. I have some 24 bit masters which are fantastic quality but most of the DLNA's wont handle them. Now I just stuck to using an external hard drive. I too noticed the clipping at the begining of each track using USB. The unit was returned to ARCAM and a revised software was loaded which has cured that problem.

Strangely the player dose not display the files alphabetically i.e. The first file shown might start with a H the second with a B, then C, then F, then B again..... Numbers seem ok and are sequential.

However still the biggest nag is the fact it keeps locking up. A restart cures the player but the remote also locks up and taking the batteries out every time I want to change tracks and waiting a few minutes before powering up the remote again usually sorts it for a while. Today I've just given up completely with it and am listening to something else.

On the plus side when it's working it really does sound as good as you'd expect from Arcam but the functionality is hopeless.
ARCAM need to produce a DLNA that supports their player functionallity as most of the ones I tried are really for XBox video etc. And sort out the remote and look after the existing customers who have wasted there money on it so far

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings, I know this is an older thread, but I hope someone see this...I have another issue with the CDS27. When in the SACD playback mode, all I get is screeching sounds. Redbook ads are fine, and my SACDs are not dirty/damaged, etc. Do I have something in the settings wrong or? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts