AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that this is the best player in world for standart DVDs. It got released only 1 month ago. I was wondering how does this player compares to Denon players. I havent found reviews online for arcam players, but the guy at the store assured me there is no player like ARCAM...Any toughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL /forum/post/0

I heard that this is the best player in world for standart DVDs. It got released only 1 month ago. I was wondering how does this player compares to Denon players. I havent found reviews online for arcam players, but the guy at the store assured me there is no player like ARCAM...Any toughts anyone?

I am close to purchasing the DV-137 to match my Arcam AVP-700 Processor.

I would like to compare the FMJ to the 137. Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
There is a review of the 137 at Secrets. Seems to have done "just OK" when you consider the price vs the 3930 for example.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown /forum/post/0

There is a review of the 137 at Secrets. Seems to have done "just OK" when you consider the price vs the 3930 for example.

How can I get to the review?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Denon and Arcam may be the best, but wich one is better seems to have no answer....arcam is super expensive and harder to find. However, im gonna get one of those cause i dont like the design of the denon players...actullay i hate the fact that they are black...

·
Registered
700 Posts
The DV139 does look quite incredible. If I wasn't so happy with my Onkyo DV-SP1000, I would give this serious consideration. Might anyway, in time...

Anyway, I'm attaching the link to the Press Release (.pdf, ~1.8MB) from Arcam's product launch in November 2006. Definitely an impressive list of features!

Arcam DV139 Press Release

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/0

I am close to purchasing the DV-137 to match my Arcam AVP-700 Processor.

I would like to compare the FMJ to the 137. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have both machines and have used them both in my main system. Unfortunately, my 3-year-old Panasonic 50 in. LCD projector doesn't show much picture difference and I haven't tried the 139 on my 37 inch Olevia LCD, but WOW! is the sound better on the 139. Greater WHACK of dynamics, greater resolution of individual sounds or instruments, much better vocal intelligibility, much cleaner top end for music, great cymbals and bells, it's got it all. One guy on the Brit forums got rid of his Arcam FMJ top-line CD36 CD player and is using the DV139 for everything.

·
23,039 Posts
The 139 should be an extremely capable DVD player using the ABT deinterlacer and scaler. However if you don't care about the audio you can probably get by cheaper with a Oppo 970 feeding 480i via HDMI to a DVDO VP30(?) that uses the same ABT processing and have more versatility. 1800 GBP is almost $3600 USD right now!
What's the price of the 139 in the US?

larry

·
Registered
388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/0

The 139 should be an extremely capable DVD player using the ABT deinterlacer and scaler. However if you don't care about the audio you can probably get by cheaper with a Oppo 970 feeding 480i via HDMI to a DVDO VP30(?) that uses the same ABT processing and have more versatility. 1800 GBP is almost $3600 USD right now!

larry

$2999.00 msrp, before negotiations.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the DV139, and I upgraded from the DV29. Freakin' incredible. Now, I'm using this as a one-stop A/V player except (obviously) for anything HD, and in particular, I wanted a player that you could pretty much stick ANY CD/DVD and it would play. Yeah, that includes multichannel SACD, DVD-A, and DIVX.

I love the "Arcam sound", but I'm probably biased. I use this, and the CD-23 for 2CH audio.

Get a demo if you can. Bring the DVD-A of The Beatles "Love" with you. You'll be able to really understand why folk are clapping politely about this player, and this DVD-A release.

If you're into surround formats, this is phenomenal. If you aren't, you will be!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Arcam prices are due for a change in the USA considering the nearly $600 premium for the 139 in its home country. If I were someone considering a DV139, I would buy immediately at $2999. I have one and on CD it sounds better than the $20k Linn CD12 I used to have at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/0

larry

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown /forum/post/0

I think via component, it scored in the high 80's which put it up there among the best. To that end, I also remember it saying that its' analog side is just about "perfect" and feature wise, I remember the word "remarkable". Throw in the always good Arcam audio and you got an amazing player if your display prefers component. If HDMI was a little more up to snuff in the lab, this player would be the one to beat across the board.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Does the 139 play all regions?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.