AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've decided to forego getting seperates for another few years because they are probably overkill for my future living room. Anyway I am interested in the Arcam AVR-300 or an Elite 59-txi. I have read courtesy of this board and others that the AVR-300 has phenomenal sound and it has a nice price too but is a little lacking in the features department. The 59txi on the other hand has higher power, MCACC and a host of other features albeit at a higher price. I would like to hear opinions of the people who own either or have owned/heard both on which one I should choose or give more consideration. I don't have the luxury of hearing either one of them right now because I am a bit secluded in my neck of the woods. I will be using this in a 5.2 setup and my current living room is 20x14 with vaulted ceiling, I am moving in a few months and my future room will probably be 14x14 with 8 foot ceiling give or take. Speakers are an efficient 92db and I will be combining with a 59-avi dvd player.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't heard the elite so could not advise you. But what kind of features are you looking for in a receiver?

imo the Arcam is unbeatable in stereo at that price and very good in HT as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it will be used about 70% HTand 30% music, as far as features I'm not quite sure. I don't really need HDMI switching because I only have one input from an HDMI source, but video upconversion would be nice. My current receiver doesn't have any newer features so I guess I don't know what I am missing. I'm just looking for good clean power, and great sound quality, basically the best bang for my buck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Get the Arcam. I have owned products by both companies. I would say that I have always felt that Arcam made the better product.

-Joe

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
hmmmm....both good choices......

Personally, I own the 59 Txi. I can say I've been thrilled with everything about it. Bottom line, it functions the way it should. It's powerful. It's pretty. It's built very well.....like a tank.

And, since I hooked it up over a year ago and run MCACC, I haven't had to touch it other than to turn it on/off and adjust the volume.

It handles everything well....from U-571 to Pink Floyd DSOT multi-channel, with aplomb. And that's in an 800 Sq Ft HT room....with less than efficient speakers (Rockets).

It's got a nice rechargeable, touch screen remote, too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It's probably the age-old features vs. sound decision, and you and others have summed it up pretty well. Don't get too hung up on the power rating unless you have demanding speakers in a very large room. Plus, you may choose to get an external amp someday.

Chris

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have actually heard both receivers through a pair of B&W 604's at my local HT store. I prefer Arcam over the Pioneer in regards to sound quality. I was in the same boat as you in deciding between sound quality versus features. Having an old receiver that did nothing, I didn't really know what I was missing either. So I ended up buying the Arcam AVR-300, and I haven't looked back since.

I will say that I heard more of a difference in sound quality with stereo music (which I listen to 60 percent of the time) versus home theater.

-J

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentlemen thanks for your replies. I have found an Arcam dealer about 2 1/2 hours away so I think I will go have a listen on Thursday since I have the day off. The good news is that they also have the AVR-300 in stock in both black and silver. So many choices, so little patience, I like my toys. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
don't give up the sound quality of the arcam over a few more features of the elite. Arcam is the way to go here in my opinion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been looking at the Arcam AVR300 and AVP700.. both which are suppose to be amazing. I heard the AVR300, and was shocked. My local dealer doesn't carry them.. only special order. I've been keeping an eye on the Pioneer 74TXVi, which is suppose to sound better than the 59TX.. but I'm not sure how much better. The Pioneer has more features HT wise. I do about 50/50 on both HT and music. Suggestions? I'm just going blind from reading all these threads. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
The best suggestion would be to try to listen to both in your house if you can. Some dealers will be willing to let you audition if you are serious about buying. My take: What are features for, but to improve the sound quality? Why not get better sound quality to begin with?

Chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just for what it's worth, I'll be going a route that is hard to find commercially - and will try to reach this in 6 months)

* A nice receiver in the 1500$ range (seems the sweetspot for functionality vs quality) - possibly the new Pioneer

* 2 (or maybe 3) channel seperate for L/R(/C) - For this I made up my mind, I'm a class-D convert, Hypex UCD power

* Mod my Pioneer 868 on the 2 main channels (better opamps, better caps)

* Use the receiver for multi-channel audio (which I don't like so much) and movies, using the seperates front-end and internal amps for the rest.

* For stereo use I'll do this: As my seperates are DIY, I'll add a switch and a passive volume control (ladder type resistor volume, 24 settings) - The switch can select input A (straight through switch to amps) or Input B (via volume control)

* Input A goes to the receiver pre-out, Input B goes to the Pioneer 868 modded main channel output

So now I have the best of both worlds, as long as I keep the switch/volume control high quality.

I lose room control on stereo if I go straight to the amps, but always have the option to use the receiver.

Price/quality, this should be a dream!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a couple of Arcams, the AVR300, DV29, and the CD33. Great pieces of gear. I listen to 75% music, 25% HT. 2ch and multi-channel sounds amazing. I'm very glad I made the switch to Arcam, another step up for me, and haven't looked back yet ;)

Two thumbs up for the AVR300 :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
At the level you are talking, your local dealer should be willing to lend you a unit to take home and demo.

The claims on the Arcam are incredible. Almost too much so. I'm finally just now starting to read inklings that its amp section may not be all that it's been built up to be. Could just be a few detractors out there, but try them both to be sure.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I own a 59 and have heard the Arcam twice in the past few months at a friends. It's not as cut a dry as some of the Arcam fans are stating here. In 2 channel stereo the Arcam is better, not by a wide margin though. After hearing my friends Arcam in stereo I was very impressed but I also realized i had only heard my own 59 a few times in stereo. I started listening to music again with it in stereo and I was also very impressed. I still think the Arcam has the edge but it's not by a wide margin. For HT and multichannel music I strongly prefer the 59. Again, I have much more experience with the 59 than 2 weekends listening to the Arcam.

If you are 70% HT and 30 % music I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by discounting the 59 TXi at this early stage.

vabch2,

I think you mean the 74 wil be superior to the 56TXi which I believe it is replacing, I'm not so sure about it besting the 59 though. I think only the 59 's replacement will do that.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I also have 59TXi. Trust me, its a whole different beast compared to 56TXi. So don't make your decision solely based on what people are saying about 56TXi. 59TXi can go head to head with some separates. Arcam AVR300 is also a fine choice no matter which way you look at it. I would have bought Arcam a few months ago if I did not find 59TXi at good price. Also keep in mind the room issues. The best thing is to try both in your system. Ofcourse Arcam is cheaper to boot.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
I went through the whole "listening" to everything available to me (Arcam, Denon 4805, B&K--while powerful had way too many "buggaboo" type issues) before buying the 59 TXi. The Arcam, as has been stated, did have the edge in two channel, but everything else (including DVD-A and SACD as well as DVD), I'd give the edge to the 59 TXi. Even on 2-channel stereo, I use DPL IIx, so for me, the 2-channel performance became a "non-issue".

Don't discount the Advanced MCACC functionality of the 59 TXi, too.

I've not heard the 56 TXi, but know of people who use it as the front end to their separate amps and report it works quite well.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I auditioned many processors and avrs over the last several months before settling on Arcam. The sound quality is exceptional, without doubt. While the avr 300 is very good, the avp700 is a cut above that. I must admit I am one of the detractors regarding the amp on the avr 300 which is another reason I went with the avp 700. There are other avrs or processors one could buy at the Arcam's price point but you would be trading down on sound quality for those features.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks all for the info. I know the AVP700 is more geared towards HT as well as music, whereas the AVR300 was more for just music fanatics. I guess I can always return the 74TX or sell it on ebay if I get a Arcam from the local dealer and demo.

Cape, you're right.. sorry, misprint. :) I meant to say the 56. If I do go the route of the AVP700, isn't it better to go with the P1000 amp also? That would be a little out of my price range, so I guess that leaves me with the Pioneer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.