AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about selling my current gear and getting the Arcam888 just to try something different. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

· Premium Member
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas /forum/post/18121903

I am thinking about selling my current gear and getting the Arcam888 just to try something different. Does anyone have experience with this unit?

What is your current gear and your listening habbits? Music, Movies % of each?

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
80% movies 20%music in 2-channel. i currently have the Denon AVP/POA pre-pro and amp combo. Very happy with them but i like to try new things all the time. I have had the anthem D2 in the past. Just wanting to try something different.

· Premium Member
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas /forum/post/18122190

80% movies 20%music in 2-channel. i currently have the Denon AVP/POA pre-pro and amp combo. Very happy with them but i like to try new things all the time. I have had the anthem D2 in the past. Just wanting to try something different.

I had the AV888. It's a great processor. Has some minor bugs but no major issues. I recently upgraded to the Classe SSP800 which I love.

· Premium Member
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas /forum/post/18123599

I am a bit surprised that more people don't have this unit.

It's not cheap..

· Premium Member
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas /forum/post/18124445

true but neither is Denon or Anthem

True... The Classe is $9k retail.. that's still about $1500-$2000 more than the Anthem or Denon. In my personal experience, the Classe is superior to both. The Arcam is also an excellent unit (owned it for about 5 months) but prefer the Classe for it's 2 channel performance.

· Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think I will probably just list my denon on audiogon and go with the Arcam

· Registered
961 Posts
I know that there have been some posts on the comparison between the Arcam AVR600 and the 888. I have not been able to find the reply fom Coldmachine, who said he had done a comparison between the two-amps aside-and intimated , I believe that there was little difference, in that performance-I could be off on this. Tony and others may chime in or refer you to their previous threads/posts.

You might, with your listening habits save a bit with the 600.

Thank you very much

fury

· Premium Member
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nethomas /forum/post/18124773

i think I will probably just list my denon on audiogon and go with the Arcam

I prefer the Classe all around... The SSP800 is more refined to my ears. Sound effects, instruments are convincing with body and inner detail. Build quality is top notch. However, the Arcam was no slouch. Excellent for home theater and did a nice job for 2 channel...

· Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I agree... I had both units at the same time. Although the AV888 had a slight edge over the AVR600, I was never willing to say it was worth the upgrade. Especially for movies, get the AVR600 which had the internal G amps.You can always use the preouts if you want to use an external amp. In all, the AVR600 is the smarter choice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury /forum/post/18124825

I know that there have been some posts on the comparison between the Arcam AVR600 and the 888. I have not been able to find the reply fom Coldmachine, who said he had done a comparison between the two-amps aside-and intimated , I believe that there was little difference, in that performance-I could be off on this. Tony and others may chime in or refer you to their previous threads/posts.

You might, with your listening habits save a bit with the 600.

Thank you very much

fury

· Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino /forum/post/18124977

I agree... I had both units at the same time. Although the AV888 had a slight edge over the AVR600, I was never willing to say it was worth the upgrade. Especially for movies, get the AVR600 which had the internal G amps.You can always use the preouts if you want to use an external amp. In all, the AVR600 is the smarter choice..

I double agree
. I would get the AVR600 and use the pre outs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.