AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a Cal Audio SSP but am a little nervous with the companies uncertainty. So I am in the process of checking out new a/v preamps. The Arcam has caught my eye. I realize there is much more to a preamp than the dacs but I have never heard of "Wolfman". I believe at one time Arcam used in their Dave Module the same dacs as Meridian? Is the same still true? Is the preamp out yet? Anybody had the opportunity to listen to it yet? Thanks in advance. Regards, Jeff

·
Registered
182 Posts
The DACs are by WM8740s by Wolfson - a UK company right at the leading edge of this technology. 117dB dynamic range, -104 dB THD, very flat frequency response and very linear. See www.wolfsonmicro.com

The AV8 is still undergoing proving trials etc but is quite close to release. We expect to have one on demo at the Sterophile show at the end of May in Andy Singer's number 2 room, along with a DV27 DVD player and P7 mulrtichannel power amp.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
I'm curious to see what the Ayre pre/pro will be like. But I also don't want to change too soon. I'd like to make an upgrade and not just a lateral move. Stuff like room correction, video switching for some of the new formats like DVI, and DSP processing for the new audio formats like SACD or DVD-A with no loss of resolution instead of the downconverting. This stuff is not availible yet but likely will be. When that day comes, I'll upgrade then. As long as my CAl SSP is working fine, I'm happy with it inspite of my extreme dislike for Sonic Blue and what they have done to Cal audio Labs. I don't want to repeat history and buy another companies first pre/pro and latter find that they don't offer any upgrades. Jeff, if you want to spend the money, Theta has a proven track record and excellent sound quality.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
CAl audio has set up three repair centers. That's what has been the most concern. It seems to have been addressed now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What the Ayre will be like? Overpriced, like their $8000 DVD player.

The Arcam unit seems like it will be pretty decent. Pricing should be

"acceptable." But notice how companies use nice, round numbers to

sell a product?

Arcam spend $1,000,000 on that preamp's development, at least so

says the ad. Why not $875,432?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.