AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am not yet up and running with my HTPC I want to start ripping my DVD's.

I have got the hang of DVDShrink and ripping them to VOB files and can play them back both in MPC-HC and on my DVD player via USB.

I am confused however when there is an option for both DD and DTS. Do you guys who rip the DVD without intros, menus and subs etc. still rip both DD and DTS or choose just one (which one).

Is it still possible for Media Centre to still offer an option without the DVD menu being ripped too. Or is it necessary to have the full into to DVD if you want the audio option.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman38 /forum/post/19569571

I have got the hang of DVDShrink and ripping them to VOB files and can play them back both in MPC-HC and on my DVD player via USB.

I am confused however when there is an option for both DD and DTS. Do you guys who rip the DVD without intros, menus and subs etc. still rip both DD and DTS or choose just one (which one).

Is it still possible for Media Centre to still offer an option without the DVD menu being ripped too. Or is it necessary to have the full into to DVD if you want the audio option.

Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean native folder format; i.e. VIDEO_TS.

7MC has great DVD navigation controls, no need of a menu.

Simply right-click (on a KB) or press 'i' on a MC remote and it brings up a horizontal menu which you can slide left or right. All available audio & subtitle tracks will be shown under each category.

And it is up to you to choose which audio track you wish to keep.

I personally keep only one, preferably DTS if available. DTS has a higher bitrate than DD.

Keep in mind that whatever player you use should have the capability to decode DTS or else you will be stuck with no audio.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just started the same process and currently ripped about 100 standard DVDs. Out of those 100, only about 5 titles had DTS as on option. Thus, I'm choosing to go with DD for all standard DVDs - for anything, just to keep uniformity.

From the research I've done on the web, comparing DD and DTS is a mixed bag. Most people can agree that DTS uses higher bit rates which means the potential for "better sound quality", but many people also agree there isn't enough difference to warrant the huge increase in files sizes.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Quote:
for anything, just to keep uniformity.

bah - who cares about uniformity if the DTS sounds better? Frankly the only "mixed bag" would depend on your system and really, it's not just "potential". As far as "huge increases in file sizes" - a couple hundred mb just doesn't seem like much these days with storage costs so low. (Seriously, are we talking a couple of cents here?)

Bottom line though is do you have a system where you can hear the difference and care about it? Instead of doing internet research, why not A/B the same disc and see if you care? Doesn't make a whit of difference to me what someone else says about it - what matters is how it sounds in my home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.