AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PVR350 and a ATI 9800AIW cards.

Which is best to use to archive my new baby's pics that were taken on a Sony Hi-8 camcorder? Cam has SVideo and composite audio (RCA jacks) out only (no digital).

I am thinking ideally that the end result would be .vob and .ifo files on hard drive just like I have using DVDshrink. Is this a good idea?

What is the software process to go from Hi-8 to .vob and ifo with the above hardware? (or whatever end format is deemed "best")?

TIA

·
Registered
510 Posts
any of the commercial programs (MyDVD) etc., can get you there. for posterity, and so my movie don'y look equiv to my dad's 8mm stuff, I've been up encoding all my Digital 8 stuff to WMVHD and cropping for 16:9 screens. Looks reaaly good even on a projector, but you have to have a pc to playback.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Borrow a Digital 8 camera that will play hi-8 tapes out the firewire. Then you can capture the DV stream with your PC using firewire, and go from there. That will probably give you better quality than capturing with either the PVR350 or the AIW.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of my co-workers has the same issue. He got the DCR-TRV460 which was only $350. He is able to put in a Hi8 tape and plug the firewire cable into his computer and copy the video in. It digitizes the video in the camera. It does it in real time and worked good. He used Pinnacle Studio 9 to create the DVD to burn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.