AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone I know from the Tivo forum is interested in buying a DVD Recorder and has been asking me questions. He specifically asked about archiving old LDs to DVD-Rs. Since I don't have any LDs and never have, I don't feel qualified to answer his question, other than to tell him that macrovision may be a problem in this regard.

1. I'm assuming the old LDs had macrovision protection, correct? And that such macrovision protection would prevent him from archiving to DVD-R, right?

2. Is there any *legal* means of getting around this? I'm assuming not.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recorded several DVD-R's from Lasedisc with no problem.

Most of the DVD recorders also have circuitry to help clean

up analog sources. With good quality Laserdisc, I think you'll

be pleasantly surprised. The only tape that wouldn't copy

was my copy of "The Quiet Earth". Bought the Laserdisc version, no problem...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I purchased a DVD recorder in order to record home movies and other important footage. I also wanted to use it to back-up some of my laserdiscs that are extremely rare. I have several Criterion discs that remain unreleased in the world of DVD. I have worried that w/o backing them up, I might end up loosing them(to damage, laser rot, etc.). I found my unit to make outstanding copies and I am very pleased with the results.

·
Longtime Member
327 Posts
This is an interesting subject that I hadn't considered. How do you handle side flipping? Can you "pause" the DVD-R recording? Are folks buying the dedicated DVD Recorders or doing this via their PC's?

It would be nice to have backups of my LD's that aren't available on DVD ... just for when my LDP gives up the ghost if nothing else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by psklenar
This is an interesting subject that I hadn't considered. How do you handle side flipping? Can you "pause" the DVD-R recording? Are folks buying the dedicated DVD Recorders or doing this via their PC's?

It would be nice to have backups of my LD's that aren't available on DVD ... just for when my LDP gives up the ghost if nothing else.

Thanks!
I bought a dedicated recorder because I wanted to use it for various purposes(previously mentioned + as a DVD-VCR). I purchased the Panasonic E20 and have had it for about 9 months;except for the disc playing compatibility issues, I have loved it(my RP-82 solved that issue).

How I handled side flipping was to pause the recorder. I would first get the exact time or frame of the flip and would be ready to go. Often these side changes would be recorded seamlessly. Sometimes when a LD abruptly flips in the middle of a scene, the change would be more noticeable...a split-second pause in the flow(still far better than the flip on LD). Overall, I have been extremely happy with the results and with the knowledge that some of my rarer LDs can live on even if my Pioneer eventually dies. Ofcourse, a few of the discs that I recorded subsequently came out on DVD, so I had to get them, but there are a few that might not ever arrive to the world of DVD.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have a E-30K and I'm just now getting ready to backup my Star Wars and Indiana Jones discs. I'm curious how you handle movies that are spread over two discs. I would like to record at the best visual settings (sp) and use the flex record method for movies that are say 2 hr. 15 minutes. Can you pause the flex record mode and change discs? I haven't tried this yet and was wondering if anybody has run accross this problem.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, you can pause FR recordings on the E30. You may lose a little time from the available recording time if you pause it often (according to the manual.)

Without any pausing, I've found that FR recordings record for about 5 to 10 seconds less than the time set, so it may be safest to round up by a minute.

David

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by psklenar

Thanks!
On the standalone DVD Recorders with a HD, such as the RDX2 (and presumably the HS2) you can record the first side to the HDD, pause, flip, and continue recording the second side, no problem. Or you can record both as separate programs, do any little bits of editting you want to do, and then combine them as a "playlist".

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to hear he won't have a problem. And I'm extremely jealous of those of you who have ORIGINAL Star Wars movies on LD to record to DVD (before George Lucas put all that completely unnecessary stupid stuff in just to re-release the movies). I've gotten the SW, ESB and ROJ movies on DVD-R from broadcasts, but I had to zap commercials and I cringe every time I see those "Han Solo meeting Jabba beside the Millenium Falcon" and the campy extra monster scene in Empire Strikes Back. I'm drooling with envy!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's too bad. My used LDP died a while ago, so I can't watch my SW trilogy on my new 53" RPTV either. :( I also have the long version of Once Upon A Time in America and the Indy trilogy all sitting in crates collecting dust.

Not sure I want to spend $$$ on another used LDP since these movies will come out on DVD sooner or later. Of course, there's all likelihood that we will never see the original SW trilogy on official DVDs.

_Man_

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.